4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2010 2:25 PM by Dave LaRonde

Slight problem with the AE documentation

Dave LaRonde Level 6

Over on the Creative COW, a guy asked about the math behind AE's blending modes; he's trying to match an AE Classic Color Burn with some work being done on a Flame.  I referred him to the blending mode reference page on AE's online help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSFB0FE760-71F3-4616-AE88-275D718E7125a. html

Near the top of the page, it says, "For in-depth information about the concepts and algorithms behind these blending modes as implemented in several Adobe applications, see the PDF reference material on the Adobe website."

Just what the guy needs, right?  Unfortunately, It links to a page that talks about "Adobe Extensions to the PDF Specification":

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

Anybody have the correct link?

• 1. Re: Slight problem with the AE documentation
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That's the right link.

The place where we publicly expose and specify the math used for blending modes is in the PDF specification. All Adobe applications that use blending modes get their information from this document. The blending modes are specified in section 7.2.4 of version 1.7 of the PDF reference.

• 2. Re: Slight problem with the AE documentation
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

That's the right link.

The place where we publicly expose and specify the math used for blending modes is in the PDF specification. All Adobe applications that use blending modes get their information from this document. The blending modes are specified in section 7.2.4 of version 1.7 of the PDF reference.

Thanks, Todd.

I do hope you understand how such a link could be extremely confusing. 

If it weren't for your help, I wouldn't have found it.  I thought I was looking at a bunch of ISO specs and not information on blending modes.

For clarity's sake perhaps the phrase, "The blending modes are specified in section 7.2.4 of version 1.7 of the PDF reference" could be added to AE Online Help's Blending Modes reference page right after the link in question.

• 3. Re: Slight problem with the AE documentation
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Dave, check out the comment that I left of that page of the Help document.

Remember that you, too, can leave comments. It's the best way to point out problems with (or additions to) the document.

• 4. Re: Slight problem with the AE documentation
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yeah, I just took a peek at it.  I keep overlooking the comments section; it's easy to do.