21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2007 3:15 AM by Newsgroup_User

Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web

Marincor
      My homepage loses background colour and recent changes when I transfer it to my 1and1 hosting site. When I preview my homepage in Dreamweaver via Firefox or IE6 all settings and colours are fine but when the page is uploaded to my site they are lost.

Can anyone tell me why this is?
        • 1. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
          Level 7
          post a link to your site.

• 2. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
            Marincor Level 1
            The link to my site is: http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/.

From there you can display Parking.htm (homepage) or index.htm. The background colour should be #87C1E4 as it is on About Us.htm or Testimonials.htm.

That is the strange thing: it's only the homepage that has lost it's background colour and most recent settings.

Thanks for your anticipated help. Much appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
              Marincor Level 1
              I think the location of my 'index.html' may be the problem.

When I setup site management under "Site/Manage Site" in Dreamweaver 8 I get the following message:

"The selected folder does not contain the current site's homepage. The site map cannot be built."

The local path to my site is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\Business Opportunities\GettingStarted\Complaints\

My 'index.htm' is currently under my Complaints folder with the rest of site's web files. Which directory should my 'index.htm' file be?

Also, my remote site's path is /Parking/Complaints/Complaints and all my web files - including 'index.htm' - are stored under the 2nd 'Complaints' folder.

I am using 'Filezilla' - as recommended by my hosting company - and also 'Site' management in Dreamweaver 8.

I hope I'm making sense here. Any and all suggestions welcome!
              • 4. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                Level 7
                On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:48:28 +0000 (UTC), "Marincor"
                <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I think the location of my 'index.html' may be the problem.
                >
                > When I setup site management under "Site/Manage Site" in Dreamweaver 8 I get
                >the following message:
                >
                > "The selected folder does not contain the current site's homepage. The site
                >map cannot be built."

Click Site->Manage Sites, select your site and click Edit. Choose the
                Site Map Layout category from the list. Click the folder icon to browse
                to your index.html file.

Gary
                • 5. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                  Marincor Level 1
                  Hello Gary,

Thanks.

I have renamed my 2nd complaints folder holding my index.htm 'Complaints1'. I have been able to get my site to point to the homepage now via the Advanced menu in 'Site' Dreamweaver.

I have changed the directory path with my host company - I'll know if this changes my homepage display in 2 hours or so.
                  • 6. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                    Level 7
                    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:09:21 +0000 (UTC), "Marincor"

>Hello Gary,
                    >
                    > Thanks.

You're welcome.

Gary
                    • 7. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                      Marincor Level 1
                      Unfortunately my homepage is still displaying no background colour and old settings. I believe the issue arises with the location of my index.htm file.

I attempted to place my index.htm in what I assumed was the root folder but my homepage - and only my homepage - is still displaying no background colour and old settings.

Therefore to resolve this once and for all I have displayed the local & remote paths for my files with the last folder in each (Complaints/local, Complaints1/remote) - containing all my web files and my basic question is this: IN WHICH FOLDER BELOW - FOR LOCAL & REMOTE - SHOULD I PLACE MY INDEX.HTM FILE?

The local path to my site is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\My Documents\Business Opportunities\GettingStarted\Complaints\

My remote site's path is:

/Parking/Complaints/Complaints1

I await your reply to my issue. I would be grateful for a quick reply to this issue and if you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
                      • 8. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                        Level 7
                        On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:21:15 +0000 (UTC), "Marincor"

> I await your reply to my issue. I would be grateful for a quick reply to this
                        >issue and if you require any further information, please do not hesitate to
                        >contact me.

Please give a link to the page with the problem.

Gary
                        • 9. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                          Marincor Level 1
                          The link is: http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/

I am now at a loss.

As you know my original issue is that my homepage when displayed from
                          my dreamweaver software via Firefox or IE6 displays with all the
                          correct layout.

When I type parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk (my subdomain test site)
                          into my browser, my homepage displays with a loss of background colour
                          and old settings.

Today, in my attempt to resolve this, I decided to delete my remote
                          site entirely and reload all files and directories using Filezilla. I
                          also re-created my home directory in Cpanel.

When I display my url above I am STILL getting the wrong homepage displayed!

My remote home folder is now Complaints under the above url. Parking.htm & index.htm are the homepages.

I cannot think what scripting and or missing file could be causing
                          this and I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right
                          direction as to how to resolve this.

Thanks for the anticipated help.
                          • 10. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                            Level 7
                            Marincor wrote:
                            > The link is: http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/
                            >
                            > I am now at a loss.
                            >
                            > As you know my original issue is that my homepage when displayed from
                            > my dreamweaver software via Firefox or IE6 displays with all the
                            > correct layout.
                            >
                            > When I type parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk (my subdomain test site)
                            > into my browser, my homepage displays with a loss of background colour
                            > and old settings.
                            >
                            > Today, in my attempt to resolve this, I decided to delete my remote
                            > site entirely and reload all files and directories using Filezilla. I
                            > also re-created my home directory in Cpanel.
                            >
                            > When I display my url above I am STILL getting the wrong homepage displayed!
                            >
                            > My remote home folder is now Complaints under the above url. Parking.htm &
                            > index.htm are the homepages.
                            >
                            > I cannot think what scripting and or missing file could be causing
                            > this and I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right
                            > direction as to how to resolve this.
                            >
                            > Thanks for the anticipated help.
                            >
                            >

your home page links to an external style sheet:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../GettingStarted/emx_nav_left.css" type="text/css">

according to this, your style sheet is located in a sub folder, which is impossible since you're in
                            your site root directory. whether it's a subdomain test site or not should not be an issue, it's
                            still treated as a root site directory.

--
                            seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                            http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design

An Ingenious WebSite Builder: http://sitelander.com
                            • 11. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                              Level 7
                              (_seb_) wrote:
                              > Marincor wrote:
                              >> The link is: http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/
                              >>
                              >> I am now at a loss.
                              >>
                              >> As you know my original issue is that my homepage when displayed from
                              >> my dreamweaver software via Firefox or IE6 displays with all the
                              >> correct layout.
                              >>
                              >> When I type parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk (my subdomain test site)
                              >> into my browser, my homepage displays with a loss of background colour
                              >> and old settings.
                              >>
                              >> Today, in my attempt to resolve this, I decided to delete my remote
                              >> site entirely and reload all files and directories using Filezilla. I
                              >> also re-created my home directory in Cpanel.
                              >>
                              >> When I display my url above I am STILL getting the wrong homepage
                              >> displayed!
                              >>
                              >> My remote home folder is now Complaints under the above url.
                              >> Parking.htm & index.htm are the homepages.
                              >>
                              >> I cannot think what scripting and or missing file could be causing
                              >> this and I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right
                              >> direction as to how to resolve this.
                              >>
                              >> Thanks for the anticipated help.
                              >>
                              >>
                              >
                              > your home page links to an external style sheet:
                              >
                              > <link rel="stylesheet" href="../GettingStarted/emx_nav_left.css"
                              > type="text/css">
                              >
                              > according to this, your style sheet is located in a sub folder, which is
                              > impossible since you're in your site root directory. whether it's a
                              > subdomain test site or not should not be an issue, it's still treated as
                              > a root site directory.
                              >

actually your style sheet is here:

http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/emx_nav_left.css

so the link to it in your home page should be:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="emx_nav_left.css" type="text/css">

--
                              seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                              http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design

An Ingenious WebSite Builder: http://sitelander.com
                              • 12. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                Level 7
                                On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:29:50 +0000 (UTC), "Marincor"

>The link is: http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/
                                <snip>
                                > When I display my url above I am STILL getting the wrong homepage displayed!

The background on the above page displays for me in both IE7 and
                                Firefox.

Gary
                                • 13. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                  Level 7
                                  On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:51:14 +0200, "(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote:

>actually your style sheet is here:
                                  >
                                  > http://parkingtest.parkingletters.co.uk/emx_nav_left.css
                                  >
                                  >so the link to it in your home page should be:
                                  >
                                  ><link rel="stylesheet" href="emx_nav_left.css" type="text/css">

There is a correct connection to the style sheet using an @import rule.
                                  The link you mention can be deleted completely.

Gary
                                  • 14. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                    Marincor Level 1
                                    Just so I understand Gary & Seb,

All I need to do is to replace 'Getting Started' css link with the one you've placed above?

I will try this anyway while I wait for your answer.
                                    • 15. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                      Marincor Level 1
                                      I have changed the link reference to:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="emx_nav_left.css" type="text/css">

on both the Index.htm & Parking.htm. I've uploaded these files but I
                                      don't know how long it takes for the changes to show.
                                      make a difference.

I await your reply.
                                      • 16. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                        Level 7
                                        If it were going to work it would show immediately.

--
                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                        ==================
                                        http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                        http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                        ==================

"Marincor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                        news:f8dc5s$a1v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        >I have changed the link reference to:
                                        >
                                        > <link rel="stylesheet" href="emx_nav_left.css" type="text/css">
                                        >
                                        > on both the Index.htm & Parking.htm. I've uploaded these files but I
                                        > don't know how long it takes for the changes to show.
                                        > make a difference.
                                        >
                                        > I await your reply.
                                        >

• 17. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                          Marincor Level 1
                                          It hasn't worked.

What was strange is that for a split second before the page fully loaded a blue background flashed up before my incorrect grey background page loaded.

The confusion lies in the fact that when I display either index.htm or Parking.htm in a browser via Dreamweaver, everything displays fine.

Any suggestions for this conundrum are sorely needed.
                                          • 18. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                            Marincor Level 1
                                            I've noticed this line of code in my homepage mentioning the 'getting started' folder but I don't know the relevance of the link below:

<div class="skipLinks">skip to: <a href="#content">page content</a> | <a href="../GettingStarted/pageNav">links on this page</a> | <a href="#globalNav">site navigation</a> | <a href="#siteInfo">footer (site information)</a> </div>

Also, my files were originally designed in MX2004 using a Halo_Left_Nav template and I am now using Dreamweaver 8. I have run updater 8.0.2 as well.

• 19. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                              Level 7
                                              I never encourage anyone to use the HALO layouts. They are fiddly, awkward,
                                              and broken.

The link you show is a convenience to screen reader users, and allows them
                                              to jump past the navigation links without having to listen to them on every
                                              page....

--
                                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                              Adobe Community Expert
                                              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                              ==================
                                              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                              ==================

"Marincor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                              news:f8f6pe$f0c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > I've noticed this line of code in my homepage mentioning the 'getting
                                              > started'
                                              > folder but I don't know the relevance of the link below:
                                              >
                                              > <div class="skipLinks">skip to: <a href="#content">page content</a> | <a
                                              > href="../GettingStarted/pageNav">links on this page</a> | <a
                                              > href="#globalNav">site navigation</a> | <a href="#siteInfo">footer (site
                                              > information)</a> </div>
                                              >
                                              > Also, my files were originally designed in MX2004 using a Halo_Left_Nav
                                              > template and I am now using Dreamweaver 8. I have run updater 8.0.2 as
                                              > well.
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >

• 20. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                                Marincor Level 1
                                                My site is now working correctly!

While I was in Site Management in Dreamweaver, I decided to display my site in Map View. There I saw that index.html was linking to a 'Getting Started/Page Nav' which then linked to all my other pages. I removed this link which made index.html connect directly to the other pages.

I also removed the script "background-image: url(/bg_grad.jpg)". I don't know which one worked but it is displaying ok now.

Thank you Gary, Michael & Seb for your invaluable assistance.

• 21. Re: Lost Page Settings When Transferring To Web
                                                  Level 7
                                                  On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:56:37 +0000 (UTC), "Marincor"

> Thank you Gary, Michael & Seb for your invaluable assistance.

You're welcome.

Gary