3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 10:43 AM by blackburn1111

video quality issues

blackburn1111

First let me apologize ahead of time because I am VERY new to this area.  I am looking for a simple solution to a very specific use.

I am a teacher trying to make online video tutorials.  I used the trial version of camtasia to make this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJb3uGGzKhQ

I was trying to find a cheaper way to make these videos and was pleased with the screen capture quality of Camstudio.

However, when I capture the video using camstudio and then bring it into premiere elements 8 and then share.... I am getting very choppy video.  The text that I write isnt smooth but skips.  I use the same raw video in camtasia or windows movie maker and it looks smooth.

I have tried many video output format in elements 8.  Some high res formats, some very small formats and I consistantly get the same choppy video.  I would really like to get this figured out since I have already paid for the full version of premiere elements 8 and it seems like a very simple use for this software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: video quality issues
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For what it's worth, I think your YouTube video looks very good -- and I'm not sure you're going to improve on it much.

The challenge with working with video from these screen capture programs is that they tend to work with codecs that aren't totally compatible with Premiere Elements, so you''re always going to get something of a hybrid result. Also, the program you're using (Camstudio in your case) probably isn't capturing at a full 30 frames per second, which could also be giving you some jumpiness. So first go to Camstudio's preferences and up the fps as much as possible.

Also, you'll need a very fast computer to pull this off because, in order to do 30 fps, Camstudio may well need at very fast dual-core or better yet a quad core processor with lots of RAM to give you decent results.

That said, here's what I've learned:

1) Is this video for DVD or BluRay disc? If it's for DVD, you're only going to get essentially a screen that's 640x480 pixels. In other words, don't try to Camstudio capture your entire computer screen. It will give you icky results when you rez it down to video size. If you can, capture an area as close to 640x480 -- otherwise your results will look fuzzy in Premiere Elements. If you're going to save your file to a BluRay disc, you can shoot a screen of up to 1920x1080, but it's going to take a VERY fast computer to produce an image at that size!

2) Save your file as an AVI.

3) Import the AVI into Premiere Elements and place it on the timeline. Right-click on it and select Field Options and set it to Flicker Removal, then right-click again and set Frame Blend. Press Enter to render the file.

I'm not sure what your plan is for these files or how you ultimately plan to output them but, as I hope my explanation shows, it's not an easy workflow, and the results may well be less than satisfying. Unfortunately, this is just the nature of working with this type of file. (I've not experiment myself, but I've heard you can get better results using a FRAPS program and editing it in Ulead Studio instead.)

• 2. Re: video quality issues
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on working with Camtasia and CamStudio material. The focus of the article is PrPro, but almost everything translates perfectly to PrE.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: video quality issues
              blackburn1111 Level 1

Thank you.  I will check that article out and try the fix mentioned above.

I am happy with that you tube video.  But that was made with camtasia demo version.  The video that I made with premiere elements was not good at all.  the writing was super jumpy (to the point that it was unwatchable).

I dont want anything great or fancy, just want it to be viewable (like that youtube video).  I should have posted the bad video for you to check out.  I will try those fixes and if I cant get it to work, I will show you what I am talking about.

Thanks for the input.