9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 12:08 PM by HarleyTDavis

720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720

eastwestpro

Hey, hope someone can help.

I recently finished editing a project that I recorded on two cameras (canon vixia hfs10 & panasonic ag-dvx100a).

The canon camera records avchd codec (1280x720), while the panasonic records to dv tape (720x480). Both recorded at 30 fps.

My project settings are as follows:

720 x 480 (1.2121)

29.97 fps

48000 Hz - Stereo

When I imported the footage, i simply fit the avchd footage into the 720x480 screen.
      The video looks beautiful within premiere pro CS5, but when I attempt to export the video becomes pixelated (almost looks painted) and blurry.
      I have tried exporting many ways, but anytime I export to 1280x720, the video looks pixelated.
      Screen shot 2010-09-08 at 12.39.32 AM.png
      I need the export to be in high definition as possible. (h.264 if possible).
      Please help, i am out of solutions...
        • 1. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
          shooternz Level 6

I woud have edited in a 1280 x 720 sequence.

Then I would have used Instant HD (plug in)  to up rez my SD footage in the same timeline.

If you have AEFX you could up rez your SD footage in that ...if you dont want to spring for the Instant HD plugin.

Otherwise..you will take a quality hit on the SD by a simple up scale within PPRO.

Why did you shoot with different formats?  (you maybe asking your self this ...as well).

• 2. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
            Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

what were your exports settings.

also did you use direct export or ame

baz

• 3. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
              eastwestpro Level 1

i have tried many different types of exports.

The export i would prefer is: H.264, 1920X1080, 29.97 fps, de-interlaced aac, 160 kbps, 48 kHz, vbr 2 pass, target 32.00, max 50.00 mbps.

My source file is this setting: 720x480 (1.2121), 29.97 fps, lower.

I have been exporting from adobe media encoder. (I attempted a export from premiere, but same result.)

• 4. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
                eastwestpro Level 1

I shot with the different cameras because of low budget.

Also, Instant HD is out of budget.

So for future projects, when I import my 720x480 footage, i can up-res to 1280x720 within after effects? (If so, any suggestions how i go about that?)

Then import the up-res files to premiere, and my output shouldn't have this same issue?

• 5. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The export i would prefer is: H.264, 1920X1080, 29.97 fps, de-interlaced aac, 160 kbps, 48 kHz, vbr 2 pass, target 32.00, max 50.00 mbps.

In that case, I would recommend using pro quality HD cameras.  We all want Ferraris, but if all you can afford is a Fiat, you just can't expect the same end results.

• 6. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
                    eastwestpro Level 1

I hear ya Jim.. my only question now is when i import into premiere, do i downsize the hd or upsize the sd?

• 7. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Downrezzing to SD will be more appealing to the eye than uprezzing to HD, unless you get the Instand HD Pro plug-in.

• 8. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
                        shooternz Level 6
                        I need the export to be in high definition as possible. (h.264 if possible).
                        Please help, i am out of solutions...
                        The highest definition possible without a quality hit...is an export of the same "dimensions" as your source footage.
                        ie match the source to the PPRO project setting.
                        Your easiest solution for best result considering that you cant spring for Instant HD...is to edit in an SD sequence and down rez your HD to it. (you have to decide which way to down rez it).  A basic down or up rez is simply to scale it either way.
                        I believe the better way of  doing that is in AEFX as opposed to PPRO due to better algorithms plus a host of tools to enhance the rezzing (eg denoise)
                        There are other down rezzing solution workflows  that some here will chime in with.
                        Generally, any uprezzing solution is a quality hit to some degree.
                        If you wish to explore the "rezzing"  in AEFX:
                        Create a comp of the required size and drop your footage into it. Scale to the comp size and export lossless back to PPRO as an intermediate.  ( I wouldnt use DL for this but others might
                        • 9. Re: 720x480 converting blurry/pixelated to 1280x720
                          HarleyTDavis Level 2

I agree with the last post here in most respects.  However... ...To each their own.

If you can stand to lose a little around the edges, you can convert to a widescreen format first with your 720x480 in AME (media encoder).  Crop it to fill the frame at 16:9 aspect ratio in an MPEG2 format.  Then you can drop the other footage down to that resolution as well, put them in a sequence and output that.  There will be noticeable quality differences, unless you make a few alterations.  Personally, I'd use AME and output both to the same format and resolution (720x480 or it's widescreen variant) in a prores or AVCintra, then grade the color, and apply blur to the sharper of the two until it looked more similar.  Then I'd sync them in a sequence at the widescreen 720x480 variant, and work with that.

h.264 isn't a "High-definition" modifier.  It's a codec.  It is a description of the mathematical and logical processes by which the video is COMPRESSED for a storage medium or network stream.  It is also a Lossy compression (all compressions are with video, though some codecs aren't compressors, just wrappers), but only loses about 3-7 percent of the quality (which is undetectable by most eyes).  What is this going to fit onto?  DVD? Blu-ray?  Internet?  IF you are using a disc (optical media), DVD uses Mpeg2, and Blu-Ray can house Mpeg2 or H.264.  Just because it's H.264 doesn't mean it cannot be 720x480.  The 720x480 is the resolution of the image, H.264 is just how that information is stored\compressed.  You can even use AME to make your own resolution match.  You can upscale to 1280x720, crop the image, and then work in that space, though it will degrade the quality of the image in the video, and you will probably want to clean it up.  Best to do such things with a plug in in AE, or drop the output resolution to an SD widescreen.  Most players will upscale appropriately, and TV/settop players will upscale to fill the screen if you set the viewing mode (usually an easy button press).

Suggestions:

Only go to h.264 if you are not in mpeg2 already (which I suspect you already have an mpeg2 from one of the cameras).  I'd go up from the camera formats first to an avc or prores, but you don't have to.  IF you can edit them native, work with what you've got.  Output to the lowest common denominator.  That would be Mpeg2 for the compression, and the upscale widescreen sd resolution.  This will give you the best result.

For upscaling\upresolution I prefer to use Compresor.  It's algorithm selection is far beyond that of AME, and you can do the same cropping.  While it isn't "Perfect", you can get really close.  In this instance, I'd use a mid-level resolution like 1280x720, as it is only a single step up or down for both videos, and it should maintain higher quality.  However, I'd still color grade before editing.