5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2007 5:35 AM by Newsgroup_User

RSS Feeds

dreamnew
      Hi,

I've set up some RSS Feeds on my website. Format: title of article, description (first few lines of article) and then a "read more" link that launches a new window to where the feed originates and shows the full article.

Question is, is there a way to include that full article text on my site, so the reader doesn't end up launching a bunch of new windows to read the full articles on other websites?
        • 1. Re: RSS Feeds
          Level 7
          On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:38:37 +0000 (UTC), "dreamnew"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Question is, is there a way to include that full article text on my site, so
          >the reader doesn't end up launching a bunch of new windows to read the full
          >articles on other websites?

Ask the supplier of the RSS feed to make the full article available via
          RSS.

Gary
          • 2. Re: RSS Feeds
            dreamnew Level 1
            Ok, and assuming they agree, I then create another webpage where I store the entire article and then link to that page from my main/index page? Seems like that would be difficult to keep up with, seeing how quickly some of the feeds cycle through. Am I missing something?
            • 3. Re: RSS Feeds
              Level 7
              On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:44:39 +0000 (UTC), "dreamnew"

>Ok, and assuming they agree, I then create another webpage where I store the
              >entire article and then link to that page from my main/index page? Seems like
              >that would be difficult to keep up with, seeing how quickly some of the feeds
              >cycle through. Am I missing something?

You would build a single page that would dynamically retrieve an article
              based on parameter(s) passed to it.

However, when you consider that the purpose of making RSS feeds
              available, in most cases, is to generate more traffic for the site
              supplying the feed. Given that, it's unlikely that most sites would
              agree to this.

Gary
              • 4. Re: RSS Feeds
                dreamnew Level 1
                What do you guys think about using the "Open Browser Window" Behavior? Seems that using this method, I could open a smaller browser window to display the article contents. Still not a perfect solution, but at least my page would still be visible...

Any thoughts?
                • 5. Re: RSS Feeds
                  Level 7
                  On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:54:45 +0000 (UTC), "dreamnew"

>What do you guys think about using the "Open Browser Window" Behavior? Seems
                  >that using this method, I could open a smaller browser window to display the
                  >article contents. Still not a perfect solution, but at least my page would
                  >still be visible...

It's a decision you'll need to make. If you're going to open a new
                  browser window, the link should clearly indicate that.

Gary