7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 10:44 AM by TheThirdWave

BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)

Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

What is the best method of exporting files for the best overall quality:

I am using two formats SD & HD,

for SD (DVCAM 16x9 Pal)

for HD (XDCAM EX)

also if I have maximum depth and maximum render quality to ON, will this make a noticable difference to the footage.

at the moment I am exporting to MPEG-2 DVD,

Baz

• 1. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Baz,

Maximum bit depth only helps if your source material was 4:2:2 to start with or when you do a lot of keying, but usually it is only sensible with AJA or BM cards, that support HD-SDI. AFAIK MPEG2-dVD is only 8 bpc, so the only effect is to lengthen the encoding process.

MRQ is very sensible if you do not use hardware MPE but software. Hardware MPE always uses maximum quality and linear colour, except for some special situations. If you use MRQ while using MPE, and there is no lengthening of the encoding time, those special situations do not apply, but it does not hurt. If there is a lengthening of encoding times with MPE on, then you will benefit in quality, for instance with nested sequences.

• 2. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)

Thanks Harm

what about using direct export or AME, I take it that they use different codecs. does this have an effect on end results.

Baz

• 3. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Theoretically both Export and AME should give exactly the same results with the same settings, Whether this currently applies, I do not know, but I do know that Adobe is looking into the matter of the different times that encodes take at the moment.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)

Thanks Harm

with xdcam ex files I  am finding the Direct Export mutch faster.  And this way its using mostly the gpu and some cpu. with AME its using mostly cpu power.

Baz

• 5. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)
                  TheThirdWave Level 1

Harm,

Did Adobe ever look into the matter? I followed some threads (your's included) that eventually let to this post:

"If you're running a system with a CUDA card with PPro CS5 set to the MPE GPU-accelerated mode (either with an officially supported card or via a hack) and a "K.I.S.S" disk setup rather than a "L.O.V.E" disk setup, don't force MRQ and Maximum Bit Depth on if you're going to encode using the AME queued mode. If you do, you may force software-only mode which slows down your encoding times needlessly and substantially. In addition, the direct export mode, although faster than the queued mode on projects with only one video track, may become bogged down with additional video tracks, especially in HD-to-SD transcodes."

Adobe claims that you also get better quality renders with CUDA enabled cards. I'm assuming they mean encoding and not screen renders. Is this true?

• 6. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

They mean both.  You get much better quality scaling and encodes that are faster and don't require you to check max render.

• 7. Re: BEST QUALITY (AME OR DIRECT EXPORT)
                      TheThirdWave Level 1

So then, in addition to faster renders,  there IS physical quality difference when you render using a ME compliant card.

I can have my card render certain Sequences regardles of what method I output. If I used a mixed media Sequence, I can only get my card to render it if I use the Media Encoder. But the crazy thing is that regardless whether or not I use the card to render, the render times are exactly the same... Go figure.