4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 5:11 AM by HappyWindmill

How to hold a button in the hitbox state in flash

HappyWindmill

Hi there.

I've created an image with a dozen irregular buttons. It all works perfectly. Now i want to edit my flash cs5 file in a way so that, when clicked upon one button, the last of the 4 states (the hitbox state) will remain visible until one clicks another button. Now its looping back to the fist state. Im sure there must be an easy way to do this, something with a stop code maybe?

Thanx.

• 1. Re: How to hold a button in the hitbox state in flash
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The hitbox state is not displayed, it just defines the interactive area that the button involves.

Up until AS3 came into being, there was no method available for controlling button states.  If you are using AS3, then you do have the ability to change the upState, overState, downState, and hitTestState properties of the SimpleButton class, though you need to juggle storing states if you want to reset them back.

If you want to have total control over your buttons, then your best option is to create them as movieclips, which you can control as you please.

• 2. Re: How to hold a button in the hitbox state in flash
            HappyWindmill Level 1

That's a fast respons. I will take a good look at it, testing and converting the buttons to movieclips and see what I can do with the timeline maybe? I'm not sure what you mean by 'you need to juggle storing states if you want to reset them back'. I'm a newby with this . I let you know when i'm done. Thanx for now!

• 3. Re: How to hold a button in the hitbox state in flash
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The juggling has to do with if you are using SimpleButtons (like you are now... the things with 4 frames) and AS3.  The juggling being... if you set the upState to equal the downState, and you want to reset it back later on, you need to have that upState stored somewhere, otherwise it is gone.

If you are using AS2, the movieclip approach is your only option.

• 4. Transform 2d flash movie into a spheric 3d feel
                HappyWindmill Level 1

Hi all! I have a series of buttons and one movieclip ons stage in flash that are all working fine (slideshow). I would like to transform these into a spheric whole, without losing to actions that are attached tot the buttons and the movieclip. With photoshop its easy to edit this kind of thing, but i cannot get the same result with flash cs5. Does anyone know to do this within flash or should i start from scratch with photoshop and add the actions afterwards in flash?