8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 12:35 AM by laternamagica_01 Branched from an earlier discussion.

rendering issues?

laternamagica_01

We are still having Big Time renderissues with Multiprocessing on all of our machines. Last thing we tried (as the support told us) was to clean up the project and we converted the Redfootag to QTs. Still having issues with MP...

• 1. Re: rendering issues?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please describe your issues with more detail so that we can help. Also, please provide details of your computer system, footage, compositions, and software.

• 2. Re: rendering issues?
            laternamagica_01 Level 1

Facts:

System 1:

• Mac Osx 10.6.4
            • 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
            • 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
            • NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
            • 3TB Raid 0: Read: 228 MB/s , Write: 208 MB/s
            • BlackMagic Decklink SDI

System 2:

• Mac Osx 10.6.3
            • 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
            • 16 GB Ram
            • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
            • 3TB Raid 0: Read: 228 MB/s , Write: 208 MB/s
            • BlackMagic DeckLink HD Extreme

The Project contains about 25 GB of Data which is a mix of:

• Red Raw-Footage (always in the project available but not used in all Rendertests)
            • DPX Sequences
            • Tiff Sequences
            • Eos 7D Raw pictures
            • QT Animation / Blackmagig RGB 10 Bit movs

We modified the shortcuts inside AE with the KeyEdup script.

The Project is 30 seconds long and is set to 1920x1080/25fps/16 bit. We use only standard AE effects like Fastblur, Levels, Curves, Hue&Saturation and some layers with blendmodes. Also the RedRaw interpret footage features where slightly used. The composition is far from complex, about 40 Layers are used.

Working with the project is no problem - as long as you dont use the Rampreview - certain crashes/freezes occured. If we try to preview with the spacebar - everything is working at an "Ok" speed.

Rendering the project to a file (QT Animation, Blackmagic RGB 10 bit) always slowed the System extremly down, even freezed it sometimes. Our Admin found out that AE is "claiming over 40 Threads" (I can´t remember the correct term) inside OSX - this is causing the machine to appear as it was freezed. The Cpu usage displays a use of 2% or so for about an hour an nothing happened. After a cold reset - and a restart with only AE active on the System (and the cinema 4D Render client - which was NOT working) we tried to render again - same problems occured.

Troubleshooting:

• First we tried a lot of combinations of the Multiprocessing (MP)  settings, like decreasing the amount of used cpus, increasing the ram  allocation, nothing changed the issues
            • Then we transfered the Project to another machine, installed CS5 and played withe MP settings = same issues as on machine 1
            • Setting the Debayering of the Redfiles to low in the interpret footage dialog
            • Then we converted the Red-Raw footage to Tiff proxys, QT Animation, QT Blackmagig RGB 10 Bit movs  = same behavior!
            • Then we Precomposed some of the edits, and created highquality proxys. Now its getting interesting: The precomps itself rendered pretty fast using the cpus it should. After we put the renders inside the concerning Comps on top of all layers (we didn´t use the set proxy feature) and rendered the maincomp again. Guess what, It was freezing again - although it should be less work for the machine. Then we set a finished Render on top of the Maincomposition  - It still was freezing! First we had to disable all of the other layers in the Precomp to get the MP working ( this "dissable must "is an issue we had already with cs4 sometimes)

• Then we updated to Mac Osx 10.6.4 and AE 10.0.1 = same problem
            • Then I phoned with the Adobe support several days - Was 2 times kicked ot of the line during troubleshooting. The only advice we got: "Please reinstall Cs5. If it doesnt work reinstall your whole system" = during a production? = no comment!

Workaround:

• Use AE CS4
            • Use AE CS5 and disable MP!!! I hope there will be soon a Version of the AE Background Renderer - this would at least allow a straight Workflow.

Conclussion:

I am really disapointed by the AE team - to put the costumers inside a beta tester position is not acceptable. Guys, this update wasn´t for free!!!

In my company I am responsible for our machines and software - this update is a drama, and yes, I did several tests with the CS5 demo before with red footage and multiprocessing enabled...

• 3. Re: rendering issues?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I am really disapointed by the AE team - to put the costumers inside a beta tester position is not acceptable.

Pointless comment! Why do you even assume that out of a gigazillion possible combinations of hardware and operating systems anybody can test all of them? Slippages are inevitable. Give me those 25000 Euros for all the equipemnet and I shall spend night and day unriddle these problems, otherwise keep such comments to yourself. They are merely insults to everyone who's working hard on making the program usable. Anyway, in your case, I would simply leave the RAIDs out of the loop. I strongly suspect you are falling victim to a file I/O problem due to driver issues. Same could be true for the Decklink stuff, of course. Remove the pertinent QT components and we shall see...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: rendering issues?
                laternamagica_01 Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

I am really disapointed by the AE team - to put the costumers inside a beta tester position is not acceptable.

Pointless comment! Why do you even assume that out of a gigazillion possible combinations of hardware and operating systems anybody can test all of them?

Blabla:

Gigazillion combinations on an MacPro? Welcome to the limited world of apple Mr. Windows. Btw I think you are not in the position to tell me if I have to be disapointed or not - you are not my wife!

Facts:

The Raids (Software controlled Raid  by Mac osx - not a card) work with CS4 nicely - do you still think this could be an issue with CS5?

I could remove some the QT components but (as I probably forgott to mention) we also tried to render Tiff Sequences with the same results...

Anyway, thanks for your Help!

• 5. Re: rendering issues?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Blabla:

*blahblah* yourself.

Gigazillion combinations on an MacPro? Welcome to the limited world of apple Mr. Windows.

Oooh yeah. So you're telling me, that there is no third-party vendors for Macs. Must be a sad thing working with these machines then, which makes me wonder why people even buy them, if it means they castrate their choices. But then I forget, there is a Maccworld Expo every year, where a few thousand exhibitors show their stuff. Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsover.

Btw I think you are not in the position to tell me if I have to be disapointed or not - you are not my wife!

I'm actually glad, I'm not...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: rendering issues?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please don't use this forum to fight.

• 7. Re: rendering issues?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've seen some information that indicates that the RED software may take resources beyond those that are specified for After Effects in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences. This applies to each instance of the RED plug-in that is running, which is one per After Effects process. If you're using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing with RED footage, then, the RED software may hog quite a lot of resources and slow things down.

• 8. Re: rendering issues?
                        laternamagica_01 Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

I've seen some information that indicates that the RED software may take resources beyond those that are specified for After Effects in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences. This applies to each instance of the RED plug-in that is running, which is one per After Effects process. If you're using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing with RED footage, then, the RED software may hog quite a lot of resources and slow things down.

Hi Tod,

thanks for pointing that out. We are working with Redfootage since 2 years and we always suggested that it is a little troublemaker inside AE . That was the reason why we conformed the used Red Footage to TIFFs / QT movs. But it didn´t change the problem, What I have to point out that we still have the Red footage inside the Project. We don´t use it in any of the renderd Compositions - but we still keep it in the Project if there is something we have to retouch.