7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2010 2:19 AM by yenaphe

Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.

iverecords

i've been trying to find videos explaining how to make rendering faster. Example i make a video that's 10 seconds short just to see how the result is in windows media player, it takes like 10 minutes for it to render.

I've heard about the ''secret'' menu and i tried it too. However, it's the same result again. Does anybody know how to make previewing and rendering faster.

Even when i try and preview my work, it takes ages for it to load then be able to preview it normally.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You could provide us with some more details about your computer and version of AE, yes? Otherwise I'd simply consider this a pointless "My car doesn't run" question. You could have a rubbish graphics card and try to use OpenGL, only 2GB of RAM or whatever and awfully slow disks and all of that would then be perfectly normal or at least explicable....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

There's nothing real time or even near time about After Effects. The calculations that make it work are complex. After you've been using it a while you will realize what you're doing wrong and lower your expectations appropriately. You will also learn how to improve your editing and previsualization skills to accommodate your hardware's limitations and everyone has hardware limitations.

You can also search this forum for your topic. We see this post at least weekly and the answers are all the same.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.
              iverecords Level 1

First of all i apologize if this has already been posted. And for the ''my car doesn't turn up'' statement, how can i know what to specify if this is my first time i ask a question about AE and don't know what to include in my question.

Here is an image for info.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/185/openglv.jpg

• 5. Re: Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The image that you provided is mostly about the GPU. The GPU doesn't matter much for After Effects.

Please read throught the resources that I linked to. We get a lot of questions about how to improve performance, so I took a lot of time to write entire documents about the subject. Please read them.

• 6. Re: Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.
                  iverecords Level 1

Oh sorry sir, i thought uploading the image to show you my version of OpenGL. i will read through the documents, thank you for your help

• 7. Re: Question about rendering, it's too slow :( please help.
                    yenaphe Level 4
                    And for the ''my car doesn't turn up'' statement, how can i know what to specify if this is my first time i ask a question about AE and don't know what to include in my question.

Hey iverecords, here is a tip to help us help you by providing the most infos as you can in your question. Because there is never one definitive answer to a question, and because there are millions of hardware/software combinaison, we can't guess what you have, and how you're trying to achieve it.

So let's take an exemple with your rendering problem.

Let see what can affect your rendering speed:

1) your hardware (inculding OS and network if working on network drive)

Sure, the new fancy processors are faster than yesturday ones. Obviously, running on Windows95 or Windows 7 (same applies for Mac OSX Tiger to OSX Snow Leopard) can make a difference. Same as writing files over a network, or on a usb external drive.

2) what you are rendering (your composition)

Applying dozens of effects on a few layers don't render at the same speed than a hundred of layers without effects.

3) your AE version and settings.

Every AE release brings new enhancement / speed, so depending on your version there might be that little hepfull setting.

So as a starter, for us to help you, we need to know these 3 key elements.

We all have started one day asking questions to get help online, so we all already made that mistake of not giving enough info. So now you know you should always give us that much of info, and then we'll be able to narrow down the problems and help you find the way to the answer.

Cheers,

Seb