23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 5:44 PM by CandyCLC

I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!

CandyCLC Level 1

All info about this leads to instructions for old versions, etc...I just got a $600 program to convert footage but want to use PE8 to change levels, non red key, luma, etc.  I CANNOT figure this out.  There is no help anywhere.  I got over 30 hours into this project and the result is something I can't use.  PLEASE HELP!  I need this FINISHED by next Tuesday which means I need to export this READY TO CUT now so I can work with it in another program.

• 1. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CandyCLC

I would really feel more comfortable knowing the details of the properties of your source media and the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project preset (new project dialog) that you are using, as well as knowing why you have the black borders in the first place, but keeping all this in mind.....

Assuming that you are using the correct project preset for your project, import your video to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Timeline. Then go to Effects/Video Effects/Transform/Crop and "Apply" the Crop Effect to the highlighted video on the Timeline.

Now here is the important part...click on Edit Effects at the bottom left of the Effects Palette.

Adjust the sliders to get maximum showing of your video with its black borders. THEN put a check mark next to Zoom in the Crop Edit Effects Area.

Does that look anything like what you wanted?

That is the best that I can do for now without further information.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
            CandyCLC Level 1

It is Panasonic HVX200 video 720p converted in Edius Pro but still at 1280x720...I tried that but it just doesn't want to keep my video at the same resolution (although that did get rid of an entire black "frame" and made it more like a DVD.  I have tried to start test projects with nearly every setting and no matter what it is either the right size with a weird border or converted to standard even though I tried an HD preset.  The upload to Youtube in HD seems to be the only thing that comes close because I can easily crop that down from 1080 - but I can't control the quality for further editing.

I will probably just use Camtasia and do without any Adobe FX and go with the look of the raw footage but thanks.

There is a tutorial on aspect ratio that shows you have to click project, then right click on the video and "interpret footage" and changel pixel to conform to anamorphic but then you have to zoom in and...it's just too much to do this with all the time I already put in BUT I would pass this along because this is very UNKOWN and never talked about in any tutorials or anywhere really.  I've had PE8 at least 6 months and have tried to figure this out and just dealt with it being messed up.

• 3. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
              CandyCLC Level 1

I am trying what you said too, I think maybe I didn't click zoom because it looked zoomed too far, will hopefully be back with good "news"

• 4. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                CandyCLC Level 1

Nope that didn't work either.  I'm guessing the export to Youtube thing might work with that.  I can't for the life of me figure out why THAT works better than ALL of the export to disk options.

• 5. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                  CandyCLC Level 1

Ok, here's what I got to work...

Started new Project NTSC-HDV-HD720p 30 then did the transform+crop+zoom then exported Windows Media HD720p 30...I'm ok with that.  No borders.

Too bad I can't go back to the project that had 20 edits and change it to this.  Or can I?

• 6. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                    nealeh Level 5

You cannot change the project preset. Others have found that the 3rd party clipboard utility 'ClipMate' can copy a clip from one PRE project (e.g. one with incorrect preset) and put it into another (e.g. one with correct preset).

You can change your Share settings as you much as you wish.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

CandyCLC

From what your wrote, I am assuming that your Panasonic HVX200 original recorded 720p30 (1280 x 720) with what is said to be its DVDPRO HD Codec. Why did you “convert” that with the Edius Pro software and to what did you convert it? I know that you say 1280 x 720, but….

Please take that the 1280 x 720 (Edius conversion product) that you are using for video editing in Premiere Elements and run it through the free utility named gspot.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

and let us know the video’s properties, especially

Video. Codec Name Status

Audio. Codec Name Status

Frame Size and Frame Rate

Sar, Par, and Dar values

If you set your Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) for NTSC HDV HDV 720p and you import 1280 x 720 16:9 Square Pixels video into that project, you should not be seeing black borders in the template in the Edit Mode Monitor of the program. (In Edit Menu/Preferences/General, do you have a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size"?)

Also, the party line is that once you set a project preset (new project dialog) for a project and open that project, you cannot reset the project preset. To the contrary, you can do that, at least in Premiere Elements 7.0, by editing the Notepad or WordPad document for the project whose project preset you want to change. I and others done that. I have not tried that in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. I will do that today and report back.

As for copying and pasting between projects. A program called ClipMate has been used in some cases. I have done a how to on that

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51325&highlight=Clipmate

As for the Interpret Footage, there is no reason why you should have to involve this in this matter. I suspect that more details on your use of the Edius product for conversion to ??? will shed some light on this situation.

ATR

• 8. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CandyCLC

Follow up....I did do a mini test case to see if I could change the project preset for a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project that had been set up as NTSC DV Standard. In this test, I went from NTSC DV Standard to NTSC DV Widescreen by editing the WordPad document for that NTSC DV Standard project. It really does work, but I wonder if you want to take the time to go through the WordPad document for each of your 20 earlier projects and make appropriate changes in the pixel aspect ratio and frame size in the many instances where that information appears in the WordPad document (The Find in WordPad does expedite matters.)

It appears that you want to change the project preset for these 20 earlier Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 projects to NTSC HDV HDV 720p. But what is the project preset that you set originally for each of those 20 earlier projects....so got the "to" but not the "from" in this case. If you think you want to explore this path (on your limited time frame), please supply the information on the "from", and I will road test that and give you step by step.

Consider your options. It might be quicker to start from the beginning and use basic principles discussed. Just avoid fixes that might generate the need for other fixes and so on.

ATR

• 9. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am sure that ATR mentioned this above, but if you do alter the XML structure of the PREL files, I strongly recommend doing so on a Copy of that file, and not on the original PREL. Also, I would do one, and then test everything, before doing 19 - 20 PREL's.

Also, once you have addressed the area that needs to be altered, you can just Copy/Paste the necessary changes, so that it is not much more work, than just Opening each PREL Copy in WordPad, or similar, highlighting the area to be changed, and then doing a Ctrl+V (Paste) of the correct section from your test PREL.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - most users, who have needed to change the Project files, have had 100% success, provided that they follow ATR's directions.

• 10. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                            CandyCLC Level 1

Ok, sorry for my lack of info...I do not have the HVX200 with me to install the codec,

GSpot  is doing the same thing a bunch of other programs were doing (showing a small image probably the BMP from P2 why I don;t know but every file converter etc has done this).  I can't install Panasonic codecs, etc without the camera so finally something worked.  Edius.

The original format was 720p 24fps (movie style)...I have been using 30 because that's what a lot of presets are.  I'm not sure if it matters but I would like to keep it at the original if possible.

I had started this project with things in mind that I knew I could do in PE8, and figured I would figure out the "trick" the problem is, in other programs I use at home and at the lab every step of the way you can decide what you need instead of being stuck in a weird project.  There should be two to four projects that are standard, and the rest should be no brainers.  But thank you for the help...I had considered looking through files and changing settings but am really busy.

Even the Youtube video I made was impressing people, so if that tells you anything Adobe has some nice stuff.  And great support.  I really appreciate it!

• 11. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CandyCLC

I sense that you are multitasking and that, probably because of that, the communications of important details has been unclear to lacking.

You say that you are very busy. At this time, do you feel that you have everything under control so that you can meet your deadline with acceptable end product?

Your report generated more questions for me:

a. for me, gspot utility gives video properties, not a display of any image so I am not sure of your comments on that

b. you talk about a YouTube export that you are happy with....what was your Premiere Elements project preset for that and how did you upload toYouTube....from Premiere Elements Share/Online/YouTube with what preset OR did you export your Premiere Elements Timeline to a file (Share/Export/Personal Computer/) and then upload that at the YouTube web site? If the latter, what export preset did you use and what settings? Also, if you use the latter approach, you will have more control of your export settings since you will not be forced into the fixed settings of Share/Online/YouTube.

If you feel that you have matter under control to manage through this project, I will not delay you in that pursuit with further questions.

But, if we can maintain a firmer communication of details sending and receiving, I will work with you to the last moment to get your mission accomplished. I too am very busy, video troubleshooting elsewhere,  but will find the time to help you.

ATR

• 12. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

G-Spot does have a player in it, once the file has been rendered. Not sure if this is what is in debate.

Hunt

• 13. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

No debate, just needed clarification. That video display aspect of the question is not critical to my analysis of the issues here, but....

CandyCLC can take the video display aspect out of the gspot question if there is follow up. I subsequently found that feature which I never had to use previously. But I still would like to know what the gspot read out was for the video that is being imported to the Premiere Elements Timeline.

If follow, I will follow up.

Calling it a day,

ATR

• 14. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I still would like to know what the gspot read out was for the video that is being imported to the Premiere Elements Timeline.

To me, that IS the most important part of things. A screen-cap would be oh so useful.

Hunt

• 15. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                      CandyCLC Level 1

Can't figure out how to export a txt of the GSpot, but in Edius it shows thisjust before you open the project now:

Hardware : Generic OHCI

Video

Frame size : 1280 x 720

Frame rate : 29.97( 30000/1001 )

Pixel aspect : 1.0000

Field order : Progressive

Audio

Rate : 48000Hz

Sample size : 16 Bit

Channel : 2

Setup

Render format : MPEG (HDV)

TC preset : 00:00:00;00

TC mode : Drop frame

Total length : --:--:--;--

Over Scan Size : 3 %

Audio Reference Level : -20.0 dB

Panning mode : Standard

Color space conversion : Standard

Track

V : 1   VA : 1

T : 1   A : 4

****SO MY FRAME RATE IS STAYING THE SAME AFTER ALL!!! I HAVE AN EXTENDED DEADLINE DUE TO A DELAY IN EVERYONE INVOLVED GETTING THE VOICE OF THE NEWS LADY TO SYNC FOOTAGE TO BUT I ALSO FEEL THAT I AM READY TO GO AND WOULDN'T NEED ANY FURTHER ASSISTACE.  WHILE I WAS AWAY LAST NIGHT, I DID ANOTHER EXPORT WITH WMV HD 30 AND BUMPED UP THE BITRATE AND WHEN I GOT BACK IT WAS JUST RIGHT FOR FURTHER EDITING.  I ONLY WISH I COULD GET IT TO AVI BUT WHEN I DID THE EDIT TO AVI FOR EDITING IN ADOBE IT WAS 16 GIG (AND I THINK THAT WAS BACK BEFORE I FIXED THE BLACK BORDER ISSUE)...WITH THE EXTRA TIME AND THE CROPPING TRICK I THINK I CAN TRY IT AGAIN AND SEE IF THAT FILE IS EASIER TO PREVIEW DURING EDITING.  THIS IS STILL AT 12 MINUTES (DOWN FROM ORIGINAL 50 MINUTES-NEEDING TO CUT TO 5 IN THE END)

• 16. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                        CandyCLC Level 1

One thing that is still a little "weird" is that looking at what Edius exported for me, it plays and filled the screen (looking at a 1280x720 video on a laptop with 1366x768 resolution) BUT the Adobe edited video has a little black on each side.  So it is still not going to match if they need to use shots from other footage used that day...

• 17. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                          CandyCLC Level 1

The next "check" I need to pass it to put it on my 40" HDTV which will switch to 1280x720 automatically (and from personal videos I have tried throughout the months I already know there will be a black border if there is a black border on this laptop)

• 18. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                            CandyCLC Level 1

And that Youtube upload was from within Adobe.

And as far as multitasking, Mondays I work in broadcast, Tuesdays I rotate shooting footage to edit one week/grip the next, and Thursdays I work audio.  The rest of the week is open for me to either drive back and use Avid there (which I can't stand!) or get this done at home with any method that works and upload to Vimeo the finished product (2010 has so many options I like the work from home optiion if I can get it to work).  Since everything audio is is in Pro Tools speak, I also have that set up on this laptop.

• 19. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

CandyCLC

Glad to learn that you have navigated through a difficult situation.

Out of curiosity, if you do have the time, I would really like to see what gspot has to say about your video that you are bringing to the Timeline.

You do not have to "export the text" from the gspot readout. If you just posted the fill ins for:

Video:

Name __________________

Codec __________________

Status__________________

Audio

Name __________________

Code ___________________

Status __________________

Frame Size ______________

Frame Rate _____________

Values for

sar ____________________

par ____________________

dar ____________________

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The easiest way to get the G-Spot data is to just do a screen-cap of the program, with the file loaded. This ARTICLE will give you tips on one way of doing the screen-cap.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for giving Candy information on posting screenshots. A screenshot would be great, but....

At this point whichever way is quickest for Candy would be fine for me. I just want to know the data as indicated in my previous post. That should take but a few seconds/minutes to type into a post in this thread.

ATR

• 23. Re: I need help cropping black border I am editing news footage at home!
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The article that I linked to has full instructions on using the little "camera" icon to post an image.

Good luck,

Hunt