8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 9:17 AM by nealeh

PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?

b_lim Level 1

Hi everyone,

I just recently upgraded from Premiere Elements 4 to 8 on a newly built computer.  I have been fairly disappointed so far with PrE8 and wondering if I am missing something / optimizations that would make it work (and work efficiently) on my computer.

My computer: i7 930 oc'd to 4ghz (stable, stressed with prime95, used for a month), 12GB ram, GTX460x2 SLI with latest Nvidia drivers, 250 GB SSD boot/program drive / used for scratch disk, and a 2 TB Raid10.

PrE8 was upgraded to 8.01 already.  It starts up just fine.  The problem comes when I am trying to encode a simple project to burn to dvd.  I am just putting together numerous video clips to burn into a single double layer dvd.  File size about 7 GB.  Firstly, the encoding seems awfully slow.  PrE is the only program running and it is taking (4+) hours.  Looking at the task manager, PrE8 doesn't even seem to stress my system when encoding.  It is using only 2 cores with max 25% cpu utilization.  I have the affinity set to all cores and increased priority for the process to high with no difference.  This is no better than when I was using PrE4 to encode on my Duo-Core 2.8ghz, 4gb laptop.  I was hoping to save some time with encoding by building the new system but so far very disappointed.  Is it because PrE8 is poorly threaded or am I missing something.

Ben

• 1. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
          nealeh Level 5

Hello Ben,

You should be getting good results from your machine.

• Where are your clips coming from and in what format(s)? Use the GSpot Codec Information tool to analyse the file(s) and post screen image here.
          • What Project Preset are you using?
          • Are you using still images in your Project? If so what image resolution are you using?
          • Disable your anti-virus software and see if that makes a difference (many McAfee users have noticed improvment by suspending real time protection when they are using PRE).

Some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
          • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Run Disk Cleanup
          • Run Defragmenter
          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get   Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, neither Adobe NLE (Non Linear Editor) program can use SLI, or CrossFire, and SLI has been known to cause some real problems. It's good for gaming and 3D work, but not for video editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
              oRBIT1975 Level 1

I agree that PrE8 is very slow when exporting movies, probably the slowest of most videoediting-programs I've tried. However, one thing you can check is if your sourcefiles are on the same drive as your destinationfile.

Having both source and destinationfile on the same drive causes alot of harddrive access and will slow things down.

• 4. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
                b_lim Level 1

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your answers and suggestions.  I'll clarify / rephrase my question.  The program itself works.  Every device driver has been updated previously.  My issue is that PrE8.01 does not seem to use all / most of my system's resources when encoding / exporting a video.  I understand that having other programs / antivirus running, fragmented hard-drive (ssd scratch disk and fresh 2 TB Raid 10 drive), different codecs, size, etc. can bog a system down and use up resources but when it only uses 2 physical cpu cores (+2 virtual cores) of a quad core system and only at 25% utilization max of those two physical cores with everything running and I wait 4+ hours to encode a 7 GB collection of 720x480 avi's, I cannot help but wonder how much faster and time saving it would be if it used all 4 physical cores at 100% ulitization.

My question is am I missing something in that it only uses a fraction of my system's resources instead of all that is available?  When you are working on your projects, is PrE8.01 using all your system's resources (100% utilization)?  I can understand PrE8.01 being slow if my system is old, bottlenecked, and struggling along at 100% resource utilization but that isn't the case.  Maybe PrE8 doesn't use more than 2 cpu cores?  But one would think it would at least stress those two cores a bit more than just 25%.

Sincerely,

Ben

• 5. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

I can only address PrE 4, and not PrE 8.0.1, but it uses all four of my cores, though only about 50% - 50% - 50% and 35%, when doing Export, in most cases, and especially if I am outputting to MPEG-2.

When PrE 8 loads at launch, there is a tiny line of text that goes by on the Splash Screen. I get "Multi-core Processor Detected," and I would assume that similar should happen with PrE 8. When you launch, look for that tiny line of text, to see what has been detected, and what is loading.

Since at least PrE 4, the program has been multi-core aware. Not sure why you are not seeing more activity, spread over all cores, as needed.

Maybe a PrE 8.0.1 user, with a quad-core CPU can weigh in.

Going back to PrE 7, there were some threads on all cores not being recognized, but I have to admit that I do not remember exactly how those threads played out.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
                    oRBIT1975 Level 1

Last night I exported a movieclip and I'm pretty sure all my 8 (well 4+4) cores were pretty busy. I'm using a Core i7 920 CPU.

• 7. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
                      b_lim Level 1

Hi Bill,

I previously used PrE4 on my duo-core laptop as well and remember that line of text stating that multi-core detected.  I was looking for the same thing on PrE8 on my quad core desktop (no similar line of text) and was hoping to cut my encoding time significantly down (going from 2.6Ghz 2-core to a 4Ghz quad core).  I would like to hear from a PrE8.01 user on a quad core and how much system resources it uses during exporting.  I might try installing PrE4 on my quad core and see if it there are any differences.  I'll try and hunt down those threads on PrE7 to see what the results were.  Thank you again Bill for your reply.

Sincerely,

Ben

• 8. Re: PrE8 very slow?  Am I missing something?
                        nealeh Level 5

PRE7 recognises all four of my cores and stretches them to the limit if required - Q: How much processing power does PRE7 need to convert a video?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children