8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 8:42 AM by shuuser

After Effects CS4 Won't Start

shuuser

Hi,

I installed AE CS4 together with Master Collection DVD, and tested it then, was OK.

The version was 9.0.0.346.

It stops working suddenly, and it seems to be after I've ran Adobe Media Encoder.

Tried reinstalling AE and also thrashing preferences for AE, and still didn't work.

Even after the Adobe Updater updates various CS4 including updating to AE 9.0.2.42 (AE CS4), still no luck.

Wonder what should I do now to get it working?

Thanks!

shu

• 1. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Wonder what should I do now to get it working?

You tell us more about your system and how you applied the update... I suspect you busted things up by not applying the update with proper user privileges and that damaged some components. If so, only a full reinstall can fix it, but you may get lucky by running the updates again after manually downloading them from the Adobe pages in order to repair things, but this time with correct permissions (admin)....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start
            shuuser Level 1

Hi,

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard, iMac. Installed with CS4 Master Collection DVDs.

When i first installed about 2 weeks back, it was working as I checked by starting AE immediately after install, and no problems.

Now it stopped working after I've used Adobe Media Encoder within Flash. AE just doesn't start. That is before any updates.

Coincidently when I faced the problem yesterday, the Adobe Updater automatically prompted that new updates are available (it does it by linking to Adobe directly to my Mac), and I just went ahead with the updates hoping it will help. I didn't download the updates myself - it is done automatically by the Adobe updater.

i.e. with BOTH 9.0.0.346 (original from DVD) and 9.0.2.42 (the updated one updated by Aobe Updater) AE doesn't start.

thanks,

shu

• 3. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When you say that it doesn't start, what do you mean, exactly? Does the splash screen appear? Does the After Effects icon just bounce in the dock?

• 4. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start
                shuuser Level 1

Hi,

The AE on the dock bounce once and stops there. No splash screen.

shu

• 5. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start
                  Ankush DigiVid

Hi,

Try out the following just to Pin point the cause of Problem:

1. Create a new Local Admin account in MAC and test from that new account if it works or not.

2. Check the complete disc permissions using the Disc utillity.

3. Go to the activity monitor and check as soon you launch After Effects, are there any processed created or ended that very moment.

Let us know the above.

DigiVid

• 6. After Effects CS4 Won't Start Unless Compatibility Mode
                    Monkey_Dude222

Whenever I open cs4 on xp service pack3 and 2 it just closes unless i run it in compatibility mode. If I run it in compatibility mode it doesn't find quicktime.

• 7. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start Unless Compatibility Mode
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please read my reply to your other post and do not meddle in unrelated posts. It's only complicating matters for al lparties involved...

Mylenium

• 8. Re: After Effects CS4 Won't Start
                        shuuser Level 1

Hi,

Finally it's resolved by starting my mac in safe mode and start AE, then restart mac again in normal mode. Now my AE can be started up. :-)

Just in case others had the same problem, I tried checking and repairing disc perm but it didn't solve the problem, and I didn't see any new process created upon clicking AE (AE icon on the dock ust bounced once) - unless it is so fast I couldn't see any but total number of processes is the same. Didn't create a new local admin so not sure if that helps. Also reinstalling AE didn't help.

Thanks,

shu