Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbol "is proportional to"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo all,

I need to include some mathematical formulae in my RoboHelp 8 CHM file, and have problems with the symbol "is proportional to".

proportional.png

I can get it to display using Symbol font and Alt-0181 (usually the "micro" symbol) but if I open the HTML using Firefox this does not work.

The Unicode abbreviation is ∝ but RoboHelp refuses to accept this, when I insert it in HTML view it converts it to ∝ when I switch back to Design view.

RoboHelp will accept ∝ but IE7 and the CHM viewer fail to display it (Firefox is just fine). The image below summarises the situation.

unicode_9sep10.png

Note that my SME seems to have incorrectly used "infinity" where he means "proportional"; when he gets back from holiday I'll square that with him. My readers are mathematically literate and will probably see through the mistake and read the formula correctly.

So my options are:
* use Symbol Alt-0181 knowing it will go wrong if we ever go over to WebHelp and Firefox;
* use "infinity" and hope that my readers will forgive me;
* use GIFs and accept the loss of quality

Or does anybody know a way of showing this symbol reliably?

--- Derek

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek.

We have a similar requirement where we have lots of mathematical equations and found the easiest methods was to use an image inside the RoboHelp topic. As you say, this is not ideal but it renders successfully each and every time.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I agree with Column. If you're afraid of quality loss with gif, save your images as png. It's a compressed image, without quality loss.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willam: In general I do use PNG, but Word's default export is GIF, and for a black-white image GIF is actually smaller than PNG. AFAIK neither gives quality loss in B-W.

But you can see from the screen grabs that the quality of the Word exports is poor; the subscripts "v" and "n" are hardly readable. I can enlarge the bitmap but then it tends to dominate the screen. I was hoping that some guru could tell me a way to get good quality.

However the fact remains that RoboHelp does not accept "∝" which is, AFAIK, good HTML. Is this a bug? in which case I'll report it. That it isn't displayed properly is (presumably) a Microsoft bug; not much point in reporting that .

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be a lot of work to reimport the images as PNG files into the RoboHelp project after the import to replace the GIFs? You may want to report the symbol issue to Adobe. You can use this link to do so.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it rather ironic, that Willam (who's often called William) should address Colum as Column.

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taste my sweet revenge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I blame the parents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I reported the bug. I used the example of ∫ (∫) which does not suffer from rendering problems. Thanks for your help anyway.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp