7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 3:25 AM by VertexBee

script request : the PS multi cloner

VertexBee Level 1

Ok, first I'll present you the problem:
      Often in texturing work for video games, you have to make changes and edits to all the textures that are used for the final in-game model .
      So right now to be able to use a clone-brush on all of your different textures at once, means you need to buy separate package, such as Maxon's BodyPaint3d.
      CS3 has introduced a new palette for managing up to 5 different clone sources, but there is no convenient way to sync their starting point. Also Photoshop doesn't
      allow you to record brush stokes and re-apply them,the only way to do that is to use macro recorder to capture your mouse movements.

So, here I present you the"PS multi Cloner" idea:
      http://www.vertexbee.com/pics/PSmultiCloner01.jpg

1 Using one starting point for all clone sources:
      Is it possible to sync the origin of the clone sources so when you use the clone stamp brush all the layers will align with each other perfectly.
      Possible workflow will be to manually choose all your clone targets using the clone palette , choose a starting point for the first clone source(it is done by using Alt + click), and finally run a script which aligns the origin of the rest of the targets to the first one.

http://www.vertexbee.com/pics/PSmultiCloner02.jpg

2 Record and re-apply simple brush strokes:
      Is it possible to record a simple brush stroke and replay it onto a different layer? Or is it possible to update several layers each with different clone source simultaneously?
      http://www.vertexbee.com/pics/PSmultiCloner03.jpg

Such script will be of great help , guys, I hope you find the idea interesting and some of you can help with its realization.

• 1. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

VertexBee wrote:

Photoshop doesn't allow you to record brush stokes and re-apply them.

Is it possible to record a simple brush stroke and replay it onto a different layer? Or is it possible to update several layers each with different clone source simultaneously?

Up top you note that it is not possible to record brush strokes using Photoshop then at the bottom you ask if is it possible to record brush strokes.  When you know that it is not possible to record brush strokes.  I don't get it????

• 2. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
            VertexBee Level 1

Oh, sorry about that, it was not clear enough.

What I was trying to ask is if it's possible to implement such feature via scripting.

PS misses such feature and I as an artist will really appreciate if someone with programing skills can do something about it. It would turn out as a really helpful tool... if it is possible of course.

Anyway, what you think about the first question regarding the control of the clone sources?

• 3. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Photoshop Scripting does not record anything.  There is a plug-in that ships with Photoshop named "ScriptListener". This plug-in can record any thing that can be recorded by Photoshop in Javascript and VSB script code.  Brush Strokes are not recordable.  The  code recorded by the ScriptListener  is step step step like actions every step is hard coded.  These steps use Photoshop's action manager.  There are many things that are not scriptable using Adobe provided scripting methods.  However it is possible using code generated with the ScriptListener to program functions that can not be done with Photoshop scripting methods by replacing some hard coded parameters in the action manager script steps with variables and use Photoshop's action manager.

Still Brush Strokes can not be recorded or automated using anything Adobe has released. You first question seemed to want to run a script to automate brush strokes to all layers which is not possible for brush strokes can not be automated.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
                Michael L Hale Level 5

I might be a bit dim but I don't understand you wanting to align all the clone stamp source points. It seems to me that if you want all the layers to use the same point you would just use that one source point. Why bother to set multiple source points if you want them all to be the same?

• 5. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
                  VertexBee Level 1

I'll try to explain more clearly :

3d models are composed of bunch of different textures (i.e. diffuse texture, specular texture, normal, etc) and often you have to make edits using the clone stamp tool in such way that all of the textures match in the end (you can't clone stamp just the diffuse texture and leave the other untouched).

So in this case we are dealing with multiple clone sources (each different texture map is a clone source for itself) and it would be helpful if you can align their origins(the coordinates which are stored when you Alt + click somewhere) automatically.

The problem with Photoshop is that the way it defines the different clone sources, you MUST Alt + click the different layers that you want to become sources and and if you want their origins to be aligned you must click at the exact same place, exact same x: and y: coordinates.Imagine when you have to change the clone source origin at every 5 seconds for all sources... this is not  efficient way of working and that is why I was hoping someone can think of a workaround, a script which do that for you.

Does this make sense?  I hope I've been clear enough, my English is not so great I'm sorry about that.

• 6. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I may be misunderstanding your intention, but if the Clone Stamp Tool is set to Current & Below doesn’t hiding a Layer and painting on a lower Layer take the lower Layer as source anyway?

As for stroke-repetition I guess creating paths and using »Stroke path with brush« would be a work-around – albeit a practically unusable one.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: script request : the PS multi cloner
                      VertexBee Level 1

Yes, "Curren & Bellow" + manual hiding/unhiding of layers is a possible workflow, I'm aware of that. I was just hoping that the whole process can be somewhat automized, but I guess that idea failed already, because there is now workaround for brush strokes repetition. Using mouse recorder app is probably the best solution I found so far.

10x guys !