3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 11:35 AM by kaspervanlombeek

image quality drops due to flash rescaling

kaspervanlombeek

Dear all,

Today I completed my site, but I have a big concern.

The site is build up entirely in flash. I let flash publish with the option scale: default (show all).

Can that be the reason why the pictures on the site look so bad? The picture looks so unsmooth, you see so many pixels in the borders. How come?

Thank you!

Kasper

www.with-a-fat-sound.be/today/index.html

• 1. Re: image quality drops due to flash rescaling
          Palodiaz

I have a similar problem...

Anyone?

Thank You!

• 2. Re: image quality drops due to flash rescaling
            rHemanth

To improve bitmap quality in Flash:

Don't scale imported bitmaps within Flash, which can greatly reduce image quality in published SWFs. Rather, use an external image editor such as Macromedia Fireworks to scale the image to the desired pixel dimensions before import.

After importing the image into Flash, break it apart and convert it to a graphic symbol. To do this, first select the image and choose Modify > Break Apart. Then, with the image still selected, choose Insert > Convert to Symbol and select the Graphic option for the behavior.

In the HTML tab of the Publish Settings (File menu > Publish Settings > HTML tab) set the Quality to Best.
            Disable the Allow Smoothing option for the bitmap. In the Library window, right-click (Windows) or control-click (Macintosh) on the bitmap and select Properties. Un-check Allow smoothing in the Properties dialog and click OK.

Use lossless compression for the bitmap. In the Library window, right-click (Windows) or control-click (Macintosh) on the bitmap and select Properties. Choose Lossless from the Compression pop-up menu and click OK.

This will cause Flash to render the image at the original imported quality and will probably cause the SWF file size to increase considerably.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: image quality drops due to flash rescaling
              kaspervanlombeek Level 1

Thank you for your advice!!

But I am loading the picture in actionscript, based on url's in an XML file. So none of the pictures is imported in my library... Do you know if the settings you mentioned are applicable in actionscript as well?

I found one setting that gives already great results. The Bitmap objects have a property smoothing that can be set to true. The result is amazing, the quality improves a lot.

So this is, at the moment, my way to load the picture on screen. Maybe you have other advices?

bitmap_picture = new BitmapData ( loader_thumb.contentLoaderInfo.width,loader_thumb.contentLoaderInfo.height);
                          bitmap_picture.draw (loader_thumb);
                          picture = new Bitmap (bitmap_picture);
                          picture.smoothing = true;

Thank you!

Kasper