2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 9:40 PM by pixlor

Beyond Photoshop...How to do it in Fireworks?

cromartie1974

Hello everyone!

Finally, I finished studying Photoshop CS4 Standard basics. Thanks God.
      I'm a webmaster and web developer using CMS (therefore I don't need Adobe Dreamweaver).
      I want to work as a freelancer web developer/designer to create sites for small companies etc. So my goal is that and NOT to be specifically a designer.
      I want to keep it simple and to know an easy and painless way to create a CLICKABLE rollover graphics (JS based)for the web (buttons etc). I'm talking about graphics in headers, articles and banners.
      I already know how to create rollovers with JS and it works fine on my web site (with A.Jolie picture).
      But to make it manually is somewhat inconvinient and time consuming.
      So I want to find a better and quicker way.
      I do have also Fireworks CS5.
      I know how to create layer comps in PS and I know slicing.
      I also use a script to export small graphic files out of a composition
      in which I have 2 types of buttons that I created with Styles palette and placed on 2 different states in layer comps window.
      I also know how to make URLs with slice options...
      The only thing I know about Fireworks is how to create a clickable hotspot in Image Map (without rollovers). Then I save it as .html file, open it in notepad and copy-paste a relevant part of HTML code into my CMS. And without rollovers it actually works on my live site.
      But here I have an issue...In order to insert a graphics in site's header (say, if I use Artisteer) I need to choose a GRAPHIC file, and NOT .html file or a code. It might be a silly question, but without HTML code attached, just a plain regular graphic file , could it be clickable at all?
      So I can seriosly learn Fireworks now. But I don't know if its worth it if my only goal is what I described above.
      Could you tell me how it should be done in Fireworks if its simple enough to grasp. If not...what should I do now?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Beyond Photoshop...How to do it in Fireworks?
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          • Dont' use Fireworks, or for that matter, Photoshop to generate HTML
          • Don't use JavaScript for rollovers, use CSS only
          • 2. Re: Beyond Photoshop...How to do it in Fireworks?
            pixlor Level 4

cromartie1974 wrote:

I'm a webmaster and web developer using CMS (therefore I don't need Adobe Dreamweaver).
            I want to work as a freelancer web developer/designer to create sites for small companies etc. So my goal is that and NOT to be specifically a designer.
            But here I have an issue...In order to insert a graphics in site's header (say, if I use Artisteer) ...

A webmaster is someone who's responsible for a site. A Web designer is someone who designs sites (but may or may not produce them). A Web developer is someone who writes code. If you're building sites by inserting content into a CMS, then you're not really writing the code. Fireworks is not a coding tool. In the Adobe suite, that is Dreamweaver, which is the industry standard just as Photoshop is for photo work and Illustrator is for vector drawing. If you want to call yourself a developer, then you need to learn to write HTML and CSS code and you really ought to learn how to use Dreamweaver.

For a rollover using JavaScript, the script functions need to be inserted into the code, or called as external functions. For either, you need to edit the code. To create CSS rollovers, you need to edit the code. You can't do any of that with a templated CMS that only allows you to insert text or images.