1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 1:03 PM by Studio North Films

New HDV system - Please Critique

schoeds

Hello all, I've been lurking for a few days just sucking up all the fantastic info on this site. We are just about to pull the trigger on a new editing machine and would appreciate your opinions on the matter.

We will be working will approx. 5TB of HDV from a dozen canon xh a1's. Our current editing machine uses an adaptec 5085 with an 8bay external tower. Our editor would like the new system to be more "portable" (HA!), so the raid will be smaller and internal. You may question my choice of raid controller but I "think" it is the right thing to do for management, scalability, compatibility, and backup plan in case of controller failure.

Build:

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000

ASUS Sabertooth X58

Intel Core i7-930

X2 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB)

SPARKLE GeForce GTX 460

(used $280) Adaptec RAID 5085

(routed back into case) SFF-8088 Infiniband to 4 SATA Cable

(X4 R5) HITACHI 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

(OS/programs) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 320GB 7200 RPM

XIGMATEK Dark Knight

LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

All the data will be sync'd on the old 8 bay R5 tower nightly.

So is this the best way to spend $2400? I'm already pushing the budget and keyboard, mouse and monitors are still needed.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: New HDV system - Please Critique
          Studio North Films Level 3

Hi,

what spec is the memory, if you can i would go for min 3x4gb ddr3 1600mhz so you can upgrade to 24gb in the future.. Also 1000w for the PSU (coolermaster or Corsair), a GTX 470 (difference in warranty of brands) . and also consider the Noctua NH-14D or the new corsair H70 (tested both on my system).

Also consider the cosmos S as it has better cooling. (have one my self)

good luck

Baz