12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 9:46 AM by the_wine_snob

Return audio to clips in timeline after muting

Cal Jim

First let me thank you for helping me on how to import my clips, taken with a JVC, to PrE7 from my hard drive.

After getting media into the timeline and sceneline I muted the clips as I was reviewing them to remove any noise or to shorten any clip. I now want to turn the audio back on for these clips without having to go to each individual clip in the timeframe.  Can this be done or do I have to bring back the audio one clip at a time.  Appreciate any help.

CalJim

• 1. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

CalJim,

How did you Mute the Audio? That will define how to proceed next.

If you used Window>Audio Mixer, which is my preferred way, then just uncheck the Mute checkbox.

Audio_Mixer_Settings_01.jpg

If you dragged the Volume "rubberbands," then the easiest way to un-Mute IS to drag each one back. That is the beauty of the Audio Mixer method.

Good luck, and let us know which method that you used.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
            Cal Jim Level 1

I was afraid of that.  I placed the

pointer on the yellow line and dragged it down to mute the clip.  I guess I have to go over each clip to

restore the audio.  Live and learn.

CalJim

• 3. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

One trick you can use from my books:

1) Set the volume up for one audio clip. Right-click on it and select Copy.

2) Select all of the other other audio clips, either by dragging across them or using Ctrl+a to select them all. Right-click and select Paste Attributes.

This will copy ALL effects and settings applied to the initial clip to all of the selected clips, of course. But if the only effect or setting you've applied is the audio volume level, it will set them all to the same level.

• 4. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for jogging my memory. Had just not considered Paste Attributes - DUH!

If there are other Effects on your Audio Clips, that you do not want applied to all the rest, just drag another Clip to the Timeline, with no other Effects added to it, follow Steve's directions, and when done, just Delete that "plain Clip."

That is what I get for tying to answer something, as I am headed out the door!

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                  Cal Jim Level 1

Steve

Thanks for that suggestion, what I also did was go to the Edit in the tasks panel and use Fx for each of the clips.  Some for color, contrast and sharpening.  If I used your suggested method would these also be affected?

CalJim

• 7. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

CalJim,

With that being the case, then just use an Instance of a "clean" Clip for the Copy. When you have Pasted its Attributes, as necessary, just Delete it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                      Cal Jim Level 1

Just tried that and it worked.  Thanks so very much sure saved me quite a bit of

time.  Now to take a shot at inserting narrative and other audio as well as some interesting effects.

Thanks again to you and Steve.

CalJim

• 9. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

CalJim,

Glad that it's working for you. Sorry that I got in too big a hurry, and just forgot to mention the Copy/Paste Attributes, but Steve "had my back."

Regarding Narration: some users have experienced odd behavior with the fixed Narration Track. Most of the time it works fine, and as intended. Just remember that you do NOT need to have narration on that Track. Any clear Audio Track will work. If you have any issues with the Narration Track, just move your Audio Clips (your narration) to a blank Audio Track, as doing so has cleared up the majority of the problems - again, it normally works fine, so just tuck this into the back of your memory.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                          Cal Jim Level 1

Appreciate all the help, just one last item please.  Yesterday I burned a rough draft of the movie and when I played it on my TV the upper and lower boundries of the playback were cut off.  I had used and preset the project to standard settings as recommended; the TV is a 40inch Sony Bravia.  May I assume that I should be able to adjust the playback on the TV to compensate for the 4:3 mode or do I have to do something with the video project?

CalJim 

CalJim,

Glad that it's working for you. Sorry that I got in too big a hurry, and just forgot to mention the Copy/Paste Attributes, but Steve "had my back."

Regarding Narration: some users have experienced odd behavior with the fixed Narration Track. Most of the time it works fine, and as intended. Just remember that you do NOT need to have narration on that Track. Any clear Audio Track will work. If you have any issues with the Narration Track, just move your Audio Clips (your narration) to a blank Audio Track, as doing so has cleared up the majority of the problems - again, it normally works fine, so just tuck this into the back of your memory.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, with home-burned DVDs, you do sometimes need to manually set your TV or disc player to recognize whether the video is 4:3 or 16:9.

• 12. Re: Return audio to clips in timeline after muting
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, this display can often be set in either the TV, or the DVD player, or both. Most commonly, the settings for how 4:3 material is handled/displayed is in the TV's setup menu, but in some cases, one can set it in the DVD player.

This is the problem, when delivering a DVD with 4:3. One has no control on how a user might have made their settings.

In time, as everything goes to 16:9 and HD w/ Square Pixels, this will not be an issue. As the world transitions in that direction, however, it poses a bit of a problem. Also, different equipment has different settings, and located in different places - you can't even include an "instruction sheet," because you would need to know what the equipment was, and how it was setup.

Good luck,

Hunt