12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 5:33 AM by Steve Grisetti

Can't get the aspect ratio right!

imsam67 Level 1

Hi,

I've shot HD footage using my Canon HF200 camcorder in MXP mode which is 1920x1080 24 Mbps.

I'm trying to generate video for web and followed the instructions/settings in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

However, the footage comes out stretched vertically -- if I was bald, I'd look like a cone-head - slight exeggeration but you get the idea :-)

I'm confused about that. 1920x1080 is a 16:9 ratio. So is 1280x720. Why is my footage getting distorted?

Thanks

Sam

• 1. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please do not post your questions to the FAQ sub-forum, Sam. That area is reserved -- for FAQs.

• 2. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
            imsam67 Level 1

Sorry. I realized it after the fact. I do apologize.

• 3. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!

You did set up your Premiere Elements project for 1920x1080 5.1 video, didn't you?

And, when you output the file, you didn't mess around in the Advanced settings, trying to shape it, did you?

Can you tell us more specifically what settings you used and what you steps you took so we can see where you might have gone wrong?

• 4. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sam,

If the info that Steve does not answer what is happening, it could be that PrE is not seeing the flags for the PAR, and instead of Square Pixels, it's thinking the material is PAR = 0.9. If so, you should be able to use Interpret Footage (Rt-click on one of the Clips in the Project Panel), and correct the PAR.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                  imsam67 Level 1

Here's where I'm at:

First, I'm following the QuickTime settings provided by John Clouldman as credited by Steve in the thread.

I fixed the ratio issue -- I was messing up the settings -- specifically, I wasn't setting it to square pixels. However, now my audio is all out of sync with the video.

Not sure if the settings are provided for a previous version of PrE -- I'm using PrE 8.01

For example I do not see Field Order setting in my version of PrE. I also don't see 44KHz for audio.

Here's the settings as I see them

Capture1.PNG

Thanks for your help.

Sam

• 6. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!

What project settings are you using when you initially set up your Premiere Elements project?

• 7. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                      nealeh Level 5

What format is your original source audio? It may need converting to work properly in PRE.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                        imsam67 Level 1

Sorry couldn't get back to you guys sooner. I was out of town for a couple days.

The "Preset" I'm choosing for my video is: AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel as seen below:

preset.PNG

My camera is a Canon HF200 and the settings on the camera are MXP (24Mbps HD at 1920x1080). I also set the frame rate to PF30. There are three settings to choose from for the frame rate: 60i (Standard), PF30 and PF24.

I've also noticed that it takes a long time to process videos (w/ no effects, etc.) using the settings mentioned in the thread. I then experimented with MPEG setting under PC using the H.264 1440x1080i 30 preset. This is much faster but the final file is huge -- around 1.2 GB for a 7 minute video. If I use this setting though, the video is pretty decent quality and no issues whatsoever with the audio. So far, this is the best setting for me i.e. quickest process time, no audio issues. But the file is large.

I do want to figure out the best setting for my purposes. I think there's a better setting for what I want to do i.e. HD video for the web.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sam

• 9. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                          imsam67 Level 1

I'd like to revive this thread as I'm still struggling to find the right output setting for my videos. To recap:

My camera is a Canon Vixia HF200. I'm shooting HD videos at the highest setting to keep the quality high i.e. MXP which is 24Mbps at 1920 x 1080.

My frame rate is currently set to PF30. Looks like camera's default setting is 60i.

I'm trying to produce crystal clear videos for the web that will play at sizes at 768x576.

Currently, my problem is being able to find the correct setting

In PrE 8, I start with AVCHD Full HD 1920 x 1080 30  5.1 channel setting for the project -- see screen shot above.

My current issues are these:

1. Takes too long to output videos in a format that's acceptable by my video provider i.e. QuickTime, MPEG, etc. With no editing whatsoever, my 14 min video takes 1hr 50 min to render as QuickTime at 1280 x 780, 100% quality.

2. The final output file is too large. I realize that I'll always end up with large files because I'm shooting HD and want best quality videos. However, I feel that I can get the file size to be much smaller than it currently is.

When I followed the QuickTime settings suggested at this thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0 by John Cloudman, my audio went out of sync.

I experimented with MPEG setting in PrE 8 which seems to give me the quickest results but a larger file size. So, I'm trying to find the best output setting for my videos.

I'd appreciate your advice on this. Thanks.

Sam

• 10. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                            nealeh Level 5

Looking back, it does not seem that we have covered the basics with you yet:

Some basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                            • Run Disk Cleanup.
                            • Run Defragmenter.
                            • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
                            • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
                            • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Not much help now but as PRE only outputs stereo sound you may wish to stop recording 5.1 in future projects.

Your out of Sync issue may be resolvable if you:

• strip the audio from your video clip.
                            • convert it to uncompressed WAV 48MHz 16bit outside of PRE.
                            • import it to your project.
                            • delete the original audio.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!
                              imsam67 Level 1

Just ordered Steve's book from Amazon.com! I'm sure I'll learn a lot more about video editing in general as well as PrE in particular.

Having said this, this issue remains an unresolved one for me.

I've been experiementing with different settings and so far the Windows Media seems to produce the best results. QuickTime is consistently producing audio being out of sync. I don't seem to have this issue with any other setting.

I think MPEG is producing best quality video but much larger file size.

WMV is definitely producing the smallest file sizes even though I can notice the image quality -- not noticeable enough to push me in another direction though.

I'm still open to any suggestions you may have.

• 12. Re: Can't get the aspect ratio right!

Thank you so much for supporting the book, Sam! Let me know if you have any questions.