12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2010 3:03 PM by PhotoChallenged

PE7 Problem adding music

PhotoChallenged

I

have a WAV3 program that I downloaded onto my hard drive. I then added it to a project. When I try to use it I get the message "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed". Since I belive that MP3 is supported, the problem must be the codec. What is a codec and what should I do?

• 1. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Wh you say "a wav3 program," I assume you mean a wav3 file, right?

I'm not sure what a .wav3 is -- but a .wav will work just fine. What happens if you just change the suffix?

You also don't say where you downloaded the file from -- but many files on the internet include copy protection embedded in them and, if you try to add them to a video project, it will throw up an error code like this.

• 2. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never heard of WAV3 either.

PrE will work best with a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz Sample Rate 16-bit Bit-Depth.

MP3's are not the ideal source files, as many can contain all sorts of "stuff," and are highly compressed. If I have to work with these, I will always convert to PCM/WAV (per the specs. above), in Audition, but you can do this easily in the great, free Audacity.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - do you have a link to the WAV3 program, so that we can see what files it produces?

• 3. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
              PhotoChallenged Level 1

Guys -- my screwup. It is an MP3 file, not a WAV3 file. I purchased it from Amazon down

loads.

• 4. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                PhotoChallenged Level 1

Thanks for the link to Audition. I converted the MP3 to a WAV file via export (the WAV plays on my computer without problem).

I then tried to reload. To do so, I:

• went to Organize/Get media
                • selected PC file option
                • Navigtated to folder that the contained the WAV
                • Selected the WAV file. PE7 showed the icon for the new media.

The music showed up as an icon. If I double clicked on the icon it opened up a popup "where is the file xxx.wav" and showed me the directory that the file was located on. If I select the WAV file it gives me the same message "Generic Failure" is the header for the popup and the message is "Type of file is not supported or the required codec code is not installed".

So, the key questions seem to be:

• Why does PE7 show me it added the file but cannot find it?
                • Is the codec code a security feature that prohibits reuse?

Any or all help appreciated.

• 5. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

A WAV file is not DRM'ed (Digital Rights Managed).

The WAV, converted from MP3 via Audacity, plays fine on the computer. That is good news. Now, when you did a Save_As = WAV, did you choose the 48KHz 16-bit settings?

Is the WAV file located on an internal HDD, or on an external HDD?

Have you placed this WAV on your Desktop? If so, I would place it in a regular folder, perhaps in the Project's folder hierarchy. I always have my Projects set up with \\[Project Name] and then below that \\\Music, \\\Videos, \\\Stills, etc.. All of my music for that Project will be in a folder below [Project Name], and will not be Moved, Renamed, or Deleted, until the Project is completed.

When you have Imported the WAV file, via Get Media, that file should appear in the Project Panel, along with your other Assets. The "Where is file ____.wav?" message should not be seen, except in the case where you are reopening a Project, and have Move, Renamed, or Deleted the file. At Import, it should never pop up. If it has, then something is wrong at a systemic level.

Thank you for the info on that file type, and now we just need to find out why PrE is having an issue with the file, or its location.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                    PhotoChallenged Level 1

Bill

RE how it was saved -- Audacity (at least the free version) does not give you an option -- it exports as a WAV and does not specify the settings. It is saved to an external Hard drive in a folder set up for the project (similar to what you described). There are jpgs stored here as well (separate folder under same parent).

I agree with your thought that PE7 should not be asking me to re-ID the location of the file. But I cannot figure out what is going on and/or what it wants me to do.

And I cannot figure out what a codec is....

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:35:45 -0600

To: york_freund@hotmail.com

Subject: PE7 Problem adding music

A WAV file is not DRM'ed (Digital Rights Managed).

The WAV, converted from MP3 via Audacity, plays fine on the computer. That is good news. Now, when you did a Save_As = WAV, did you choose the 48KHz 16-bit settings?

Is the WAV file located on an internal HDD, or on an external HDD?

Have you placed this WAV on your Desktop? If so, I would place it in a regular folder, perhaps in the Project's folder hierarchy. I always have my Projects set up with
                    and then below that
                    \Music,
                    \Videos,
                    \Stills, etc.. All of my music for that Project will be in a folder below , and will not be Moved, Renamed, or Deleted, until the Project is completed.

When you have Imported the WAV file, via Get Media, that file should appear in the Project Panel, along with your other Assets. The "Where is file ____.wav?" message should not be seen, except in the case where you are reopening a Project, and have Move, Renamed, or Deleted the file. At Import, it should never pop up. If it has, then something is wrong at a systemic level.

Thank you for the info on that file type, and now we just need to find out why PrE is having an issue with the file, or its location.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you used Get Media to add the file, you should have no problems adding Amazon music. It has very little copy protection.

• 8. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The WAV should be Uncompressed, PCM. You can use the great, free utility, G-SPOT, to get the full specs. of that WAV file. Just post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen:

G-Spot_Screen_01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                          PhotoChallenged Level 1

Another clue.

I have been adding narration to the project and everything is fine. However, I have reached the point where I can create the media and it shows in the organizer, but it will not go onto the timeline. When I try to move it from the organizer to the timeline I get the same message. While the problem with importing the WAV file may have been related to something I did, it is not likely that a narration pience that PE7 created should require a codec that is not supported.

The project is quite large -- the still pictures alone look like they take up 2.5 hours. Could this be a problem of running out of memory?

• 10. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, remember that the Organizer is only a cataloging program, showing the Assets on your system, and that one needs to Import the desired Assets into the Project, before they can be used.

With Audio, there is also another process, Conforming, that writes the CFA files and also the PEK (Waveform Display) files. Let that complete, before you drag the WAV, or whatever, to the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                              nealeh Level 5

PhotoChallenged wrote:

the still pictures alone look like they take up 2.5 hours. Could this be a problem of running out of memory?

Uh-oh - what pixel resolution are those stills? Oversized still photos can bring PRE down faster than anything else! Look here: What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: PE7 Problem adding music
                                PhotoChallenged Level 1

I tried to repair the program by downloading the code again from the web site. Repair

seemed to go OK. Then I tried to create a new project and load a single jpg. Got the same message. So it is apparent that something is hap

pening to my system and it is not the project that I was working on.

Unfortunately, it looks like the next step is to completely remove the application then reinstall. Grumph!