24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 9:10 PM by Wil Renczes

5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files

dkhelms

I was absolutely thrilled about the announcement that the 5.0.2 update would allow importing the JVC Pro HD QuickTime MOV files... until I actually tried it. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the import error complaining that the codec can't be found, and I've tried several of these files without success. Am I still missing something?

System: Dell Alienware Area 51, Intel i7 980X CPU, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB SATA HD (C:), 2 TB SATA HD (D:), BD/DVD/CD Burner Drive (E:), DVD/CD Burner Drive (F:), 4 TB RAID-0 eSATA HD (G:), NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 card, 2 Dell U2410 monitors, Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.

Major Software: Adobe CS5 Master Collection, Office 2007, QuickTime 7 Pro w/iTunes 10, Nero 10, SnagIt 9, Camtasia Studio 7.

Camera: JVC ProHD GY-HD200CB17PS with Focus Enhancements DR-HD100 Portable DTE Recorder. (Usually copy video files from the drive via Firewire.)

This is a brand-new computer and everything purrs like a kitten - no other issues at all with this system; LOVE the performance of the 4800 video card with Premiere CS5! And yes, I'm quite sure the 5.0.2 version was downloaded and updated - I had to update the NVIDIA drivers afterward to regain CUDA support, but all is well after the driver update.

On the JVC camera, we normally record to DV (AVI-2) or HDV M2T formats, but there is another guy in the building who has a Final Cut system with the exact same camera/drive and he uses the HDV MOV mode. When we used his clips, I have to take them home, convert them on my iMac using Calibrated Software's "Calibrated{Q} XD Decode" plug-in (I only have Final Cut Express) and bring the converted files back to use in Premiere. The M2T format we normally record with ourselves works just fine without any conversion.

Would love to bypass buying the Callibrated plug-in for CS5 if possible. Anyone have any thoughts? (Adobe?) -- Thanks!

• 1. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at the link at the bottom of this ARTICLE. I just got that today, from Chris at JVC. Though primarily for the JVC MOD format, there might be something useful for the MOV files too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
            dkhelms Level 1

Um... well... yeah... that's the point of the question. I did download and install the 5.0.2 update, which is supposed to contain this new feature to enable the use of the JVC XD files with the QuickTime wrapper. But for some reason, it didn't seem to do anything for me - I still can't import these files into Premiere CS5. So yes, it should work based on what the PR is stating, but it isn't for me for some reason.

• 3. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Works here--though this clip is from the JVC 700-something-or-other:

jvc-xdcamex-mov.png

Have you checked to see if your install reverted to "trial mode" when you installed the update? That's been a common problem with this latest update. Try to import any MPEG-2 asset, or go to the New Sequence dialog and check for XDCAM, AVCHD, and similar presets. If you can't do any of that, your install is broken, and you'll need to deactivate, uninstall, run the CS5 Cleaner Tool a few times, rebooting each time, and then reinstall. There are several threads with the issue outlined as well as the means of resolving it.

If that ISN'T the case, post back and maybe we'll think of something else.

• 4. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                So yes, it should work based on what the PR is stating, but it isn't for me for some reason.

I understand. I was hoping that there might be something very useful in that article.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                  dkhelms Level 1

I was hoping this might be it, but unfortunately, it's not. All of the sequence presets were there. I tried importing MP2, MP4, AVCHD and M2T formats - all came in clean and beautiful without any hesitation. Even took the JVC camera and shot some short test footage in both the M2T and MOV formats. The M2T imported without a hitch, while the MOV files complained of a missing codec (same as before). And I also have the menu option to Deactivate Premiere - I'm assuming you would see the "Activate" command instead if it were in trial mode.

The only difference I noticed in the info graphic from your JVC clip is that your clip was shot in 720p24 whereas our stuff is usually 720p60 - do you suppose that p60 isn't supported? I haven't tried anything at p24 but just might give that a shot this morning to see if it makes any difference. (It probably shouldn't - the QuickTime wrapper shouldn't be that different for these formats.)

The only other difference I've noticed in my system since the 5.0.2 update followed by the NVIDIA driver update is that at some point after I launch Premier Pro, the monitors will "blink" for a moment (i.e. go to black and then restore the correct images). When this happens, the Windows 7 Aero transparency apparently becomes disabled (e.g. the transparent task bar goes to an opaque light blue) - anything that was transparent on the Windows 7 desktop becomes opaque. I think this happened after I installed the NVIDIA update. But since this is so minor and the reverse "blink" occurs when you quit Premiere Pro (i.e. the Windows 7 transparency is completely restored), I'm assuming that the NVIDIA card is just yielding to Premiere's requirements at that point. Other than this, though, everything else (including Windows 7) seems to be behaving quite well.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm willing to look at just about anything to find the solution.

• 6. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                    dkhelms Level 1

Thanks for offering the suggestion. I've also tried the extension renaming trick before - unfortunately, there's more to the format than just a MOV extension and it didn't work at all for me. Internally, the video data is supposed to be just a muxed MP2 file, but Apple has clearly repackaged it in a way that makes it a bit more complicated to get at. I can import M2Ts all day long, but not a single MOV file of this type.

• 7. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Anyone have any thoughts?

This is precisely why I don't like Macs.  They do things differently, and those differences cause problems.

My recommendation would be for the other guy to get a PC, or at least bypass the issue by recording in normal formats rather than FCP specific format, especially when other editors in the company need to use the footage.

• 8. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Macs.  They do things differently

Grin... I have to wonder if this is another Steve Jobs "dig" at Adobe (like not allowing Flash on some equipment that I don't use anyway) by having his developer staff do things that make it difficult for anyone else (ie-Adobe) to use the file

• 9. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                          dkhelms Level 1

Well... my personal preference is a Mac, which is why I have one at home. (Been using them since my original 128K Mac in '84.) But I will agree that Apple really messed up in deciding on a special QT container format just to help coax folks into Final Cut Pro. As mentioned, I have Final Cut Express on my iMac, but still couldn't work with this file until I bought the Calibrated Software plug-in codec. I would have gladly paid Apple for a "professional" pack of codecs that they were using in FCP if they just needed to cover their licensing costs (if any) on these plus some profit. Still hope they make this an option when they release the long-rumored upgrade to FCP/FCE soon (I hope soon anyway - it's long overdue).

However, I guess the point here is that Adobe and JVC have made this a spotlighted feature of the 5.0.2 upgrade, and one that I would be absolutely thrilled to have because I need it. There's always the Calibrated Software plug-in to do it, but it will be great if I don't have to add that on to Premiere.

As for the other guy's computer - it's new too. He just works in an area of the company where they can buy Macs. For me and my group, we have to stick to PCs to get IT support.

• 10. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Can you post a small sample clip?  That's the easiest way for me to determine what's going on.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

The only difference I noticed in the info graphic from your JVC clip is that your clip was shot in 720p24 whereas our stuff is usually 720p60 - do you suppose that p60 isn't supported? I haven't tried anything at p24 but just might give that a shot this morning to see if it makes any difference. (It probably shouldn't - the QuickTime wrapper shouldn't be that different for these formats.)

For argument's sake, here's a 720p60 clip:

jvc-xdcamex-60p.png

Do you have QuickTime installed? I believe that it's a necessity for importing any QuickTime formats into Premiere. If you do have QT installed (you just need Player, not Pro), what version are you using? I'm running the latest--7.6.7--without any issue.

The nVidia driver shouldn't have any impact on the "importability" of any particular video format. Playback, maybe--but not import. Something else is going on...

EDIT: Whoops, saw that you already have QT Pro installed. Nevertheless, check the version (though that shouldn't make a difference). I'm not clear: do you have the Calibrated codecs installed on this machine? If so, you might have to disable or otherwise uninstall them. It's possible that there is some sort of conflict, if they are installed.

• 12. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                dkhelms Level 1

No, the Calibrated codec is installed on my home computer. We looked at getting it for our group this last Spring, but dropped the process when they told us that it would be licensed to the computer hardware - not something we wanted since new computers were already in process. But yes, we do have the latest, greatest QuickTime installed (with iTunes 10), it is the Pro version and we did purchase the MPEG2 plug-in upgrade from Apple (for what that's worth - don't think it's ever come into play for us).

EDIT: That does bring up an interesting point, though. Wonder if this MPEG2 plug-in is messing things up somehow. Might try to uninstall it today just to see if it has any effect. Thanks for the comment - might not have thought of this otherwise.

• 13. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                  dkhelms Level 1

Okay... couldn't really find a way to do this through the forum so I posted a sample to my personal Apple Me public folder (sorry non-Mac folks): http://public.me.com/david_helms - l'll leave it out there for a week or two. This was taken straight from the Focus Enhancements drive last week when I quickly shot some test footage in both M2T and MOV format. Nothing fancy, just my hand waving in front of the camera in my office, but it's enough to know if it would work or not. As mentioned, the M2T footage came right in while attempting to bring in the MOV footage brought up the "missing codec" dialog box.

• 14. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                    dkhelms Level 1

Nope - this isn't the problem. I uninstalled this QuickTime plug-in for MPEG2, restarted the computer (it didn't say to but just to make sure the result is accurate, I did) and tried to pull in the MOV file. It still claimed it could find the codec just as before. So it's not the QuickTime MPEG2 plug-in.

• 15. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Does this look familiar?

import-failure.png

I can't get this to import either, nor will it playback on Windows in any player I tried (including QuickTime player). QuickTime reports this as Apple HDV, and MediaInfo lists the FourCC of the codec as "hdv9." These are typically bad signs. This is a codec that is not available on a PC... at all... ever... period. Or, at least not without some capital outlay on your part...

The JVC QuickTime MOV support that Premiere Pro CS5 has (and the screeners of the clips I posted) is for XDCAM variants, not HDV. They're both MPEG-2, but unfortunately they're different kinds of MPEG-2, and Premiere does not ingest the HDV MOV kind. This isn't so much Adobe's fault as it is Apple's fault; they've never seen fit to supply Windows versions of the decoding components for QuickTime. This is where the Calibrated codecs come into play--you can get Windows versions from them that will enable import and playback of these MOVs.

If you check out the one-sheet for the Firestore, you'll see how that QuickTime MOV mode is only for FCP, since FCP doesn't handle MPEG-2 transport streams. With the Calibrated plug-in, you're covered, but this is not a Premiere issue, I'm afraid.

Try installing the Calibrated demo--I suspect it will enable you to import these files.

• 16. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                        dkhelms Level 1

Not what I was hoping for, but it does explain why it's not working. Yep, that's exactly what I'm getting. I guess we're back to the Calibrated Software plug-in solution.

Thanks for your (and everyone's) help on looking into this! The help is much appreciated!

• 17. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Welcome to the fun, fun world of cross-platform video editing

At least the Calibrated XD decoder will work... this should look familiar:

calibrated-hdv-import.png

Sorry it couldn't be less-expensive news!

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                            dkhelms Level 1

Yep - and I agree that this isn't Adobe's fault at all. I do wish Apple had not elected to specially package these formats for QuickTime just to nudge folks over to FCP. Or at least they could provide the codecs on both platforms for some kind of price.

Thanks again!

• 19. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files

I'll reiterate - if someone can post me a short sample file, I'll see what I can do to add support for this.  Considering we have the decoder wired up for JVC files, it's probably not much of a stretch.

Wil

• 20. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Look below...

I'd be interested to see if you guys could get these to work natively in Premiere. I'm sure that technically, it wouldn't be a big problem, but since Adobe isn't in the business of developing the decoders/encoders used in their products, this would have to involve licensing the decoders from another vendor. It would be great to not have to buy another third-party tool...

For what it's worth, these files probably will not playback on a Mac that doesn't have FCP installed, either.

• 21. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is post 13 it?  He said "sorry PCers" - as if we couldn't get it, but it is a good link.

• 22. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                                    dkhelms Level 1

Um... I posted one as you requested, noted in my previous response to you (look at the very bottom of this message chain). It's available at my iDisk public folder site: http://public.me.com/david_helms. Colin was able to determine from this file it is a JVC HDV QuickTime format file, which is different than the JVC XDCAM QuickTime format that the new feature supports. I was unaware that my camera was producing a different format (though after thinking about it, it made perfect sense - I knew it was HDV; just didn't fully realize the supported format was limited to XDCAM.)

If Adobe can somehow adjust what they have created for the JVC format to also handle the HDV format, FANTASTIC! I also agree this is an animal of Apple's creation with JVC for FCP, so if it's not really doable with what is already created, I certainly understand.

But if something can be done, go man go! Much appreciated! Thanks!

• 23. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files
                                                      dkhelms Level 1

The PC reference was really more of a, "sorry - using yet another Apple product/solution to make this available". I've actually used this before to make files available to some of our own folks who are on PCs, so I was pretty sure it would work regardless.

• 24. Re: 5.0.2 - Still Can't Import JVC QuickTime Files

Whoops, I must have scrolled past that one - my bad!

Thanks, I'll check out the file...