7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2010 12:31 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?

dasoro

HP 8530w  with NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M (512 MB) or ATI Mobitilty FireGL V5700 (256 MB)

Lenovo Z61P with ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 (256 MB)

Dell D820 with NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M (256 MB)

IBM ThinkPad T61p with nVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256 MB)

All these laptops are about 3 years old and have 1920x1200 rez 15.4" displays.

Will AE or Premiere CS5 work on these laptops with Win 7 64 bit?

Can you recommend me other 1920x1200 rez 15.4" laptops in $ 500-700 range?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here are the system requirements.

But I have to warn you that you will not have the best experience with After Effects CS5 on a cheap laptop. After Effects CS5 performs best on a computer with lots of RAM, multiple processors, and multiple fast hard disks. You can get some work done on a modern, fully-stocked laptop, but it won't be fast and efficient; trying to work on a lesser laptop will be even more frustrating.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
            dasoro Level 1

Thanks,

Work on laptop would be for small projects like animated flash banners, small YouTube videos not full hd stuff.

I will provide at least 4 gb of ram, 500 bg hdd and >2 ghz core 2 duo processor.

What do you think?

Also, I'm interested to know how those video cards I've mentioned in the first post would perform for OpenGl in AE.

• 3. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
              yenaphe Level 4

Forget OGL in AE. You can use it for previewing, but never for rendering as it's not as good as the software renderer. With 4gb of ram you can expect to use 1 or 2 cores (max) as you'll need at least 2gb per Core for AE to perfom well with multiprocessing.

So the more ram the better, even for smaller projects.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
                dasoro Level 1

Thank you,

Yes, OGL for previewing, I didn't know it works for rendering. I look know for a 8 gb supporting laptop.

• 5. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
                  luckydogz

help ...    looking at a Sager Laptop,,,  with the new   Nvidia GeForce GTX 480M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory    is that card

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration     your web site lists the GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)    I wish you would update this list ??     here are the other specs....

Display17.3" Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
                  Video & Graphics CardNvidia GeForce GTX 480M Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory
                  CPU ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-840QM Processor ( 45nm, 8MB L3 Cache, 1.86GHz ) [$405.00]
                  Thermal CompoundIC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$40.00]
                  Operating SystemGenuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
                  Memory8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 4GB [$160.00]
                  RAID Storage OptionsNon-RAID Storage
                  Primary Hard Disk Drive500GB 7200rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 4GB SSD [$120.00]
                  2nd Hard Disk Drive500GB 7200rpm SATA with 4GB SSD Secondary Hybrid Hard Drive [$180.00]

any help or guidance most appretiated !!!

• 6. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
                    Level 1

The above configuration is fine for AE CS5. All you need is a multicore processor and a OGL 2 compatible graphics card for smooth performance. i7 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 480M will take care of it.  The Sager laptop is a good choice.

For more details for rendering with Open GL please click the following link: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/help.html?content=WS3878526689cb91655866c 1103a4f2dff7-79e8.html

For details regarding  multiprocessing and 64 bit RAM usage check this link: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS9F936D13-E76A-41e4-BF8F-577132AB4723a. html

Bobby Johnson

• 7. Re: Will AE CS5 work on these laptops?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Bobby,

I'm curious about what basis you have for contradicting Sebastien's statement about OpenGL. I agree with Sebastian's assessment that you should pretty much forget about OpenGL when making buying decisions for After Effects.

Also, the link that you gave for the OpenGL page is for After Effects CS3. Here is the CS5 link.

Your statement that "All you need is a multicore processor and a OGL 2 compatible graphics card for smooth performance" is wrong. RAM is far, far more important than the graphics card. And hard disks---both speed and number---are at least as important.