2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 8:23 PM by moroccodriver

Problem with exporting from large sequences

moroccodriver Level 1

I'm running CS5 5.02 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with an X58A-UD3R mobo, i7 930, 12 GB RAM, and a GTX 470.  The footage is non-widescreen NTSC DV.

I often put 100 clips or sometimes even over 1000 clips on a sequence.

When I go to File-->Export and start exporting video for a small work area (10 seconds or less), it brings up a dialogue box that says "Encoding Sequence 01" and doesn't make any progress for a painfully long time if there are many clips on the sequence.  The more clips in the sequence, the longer it waits before exporting.  If I isolate the same clip in another empty sequence and try to export the same small work area, it quickly exports the file.

I've tried this with several export formats: mpeg2, h264, quicktime, etc., with the same results.  Exporting a still JPEG will quickly work on the large sequence, but it is very slow to export video.

It's as if Premiere is trying to encode the entire sequence even though I've told it to only encode the small work area.  It still only exports the small work area I requested, not the entire sequence. Do I have some setting wrong?

Can someone please try to replicate this and/or give me advice?  It seems unnecessary for Premiere to "think" for a longer time on a longer sequence if I'm only asking it to export a few seconds of video.

• 1. Re: Problem with exporting from large sequences
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you tell us what the source footage is, and what the Sequence Preset is?

Might be something there, that will clue us in.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with exporting from large sequences
            moroccodriver Level 1

The footage is non-widescreen NTSC DV.  It's just .avi files captured straight from a mini-DV camera. It should be 4:3 interlaced, 29.97fps, 720x480.  Let me know if you need more info.

I have it in a sequence that's DV NTSC Standard 48 kHz.

The problem seems to be related to the number of clips because I've also started fresh with a new sequence and imported different numbers of clips to the sequence, then added more or deleted some to see the problem wax and wane.

Can you try putting 100 or more clips in a sequence, of any type of footage and see if you notice a difference?