2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2010 4:19 AM by Richard Triumpho

How can I reinstall PageMaker 7.0 Plus, when I lost serial # of vers..6.5

Richard Triumpho

My iMac OS 9.2 crashed and completely erased the hard drive, including PageMaker 7.0 Plus. I successfully reinstalled software (Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat 5, etc.) and I started to reinstall PageMaker 7.0 Plus from the CD and needed serial # of my previous version, PageMaker 6.5, but I bought that version about 10 years ago and cannot locate that serial # anywhere. I phoned Customer Support Technical Help & some guy in the Philippines said that If I do not have serial # of PageMaker 6.5, or proof that I bought it, then I will have to buy the full version of PageMaker 7.0 again!!! The very first version I bought was Aldus Pagemaker in 1992, (at the same time I bought my first Mac). I think that version was 3.05. That's 18 years ago! I don't keep records of old serial #s that long! Then Adobe bought Aldus, and I bought the upgrade to PageMaker 6.5. Surely Adobe has a record of my registering those previous versions? So why do I get no help?

• 1. Re: How can I reinstall PageMaker 7.0 Plus, when I lost serial # of vers..6.5
          Michael Gianino Level 4

I haven't had to call Adobe before, but other companies that I have had to call have all had separate phone lines for customer support and technical support. I don't know if Adobe has one customer/technical support line, but my guess would be that they are separate. If I were to further guess who you talked to, I'd say it was technical support, but it would probably be customer support that has your purchase records, including serial numbers. Ask them to search by your name, address, any upgrade serial numbers you have, or what ever you can think of. If you registered, they should have a record.

• 2. Re: How can I reinstall PageMaker 7.0 Plus, when I lost serial # of vers..6.5
            Richard Triumpho Level 1

Yes, I did talk to separate phone lines, customer support and technical

support, but no help from either one. Both found that my Pagemaker 7.0 Plus

upgrade was indeed registered in my name, at my old email address, but the

reinstall process still required serial # of vers. 6.5, which they could not

find. However, finally I got results thru a "live chat" with Albert Manohar

at Adobe. After only a few minutes he found a "challenge code" that I

entered in the Installation dialog box; it was accepted, and Pagemaker 7.0+

was reinstalled.

Thank you for your response, Michael.