14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2007 8:26 AM by Newsgroup_User

WHAT DO I DO

delfloria
      I have absolutely no experience in the area (website development); I got the trial version to see if I could learn enough to make changes to an existing website that was created by a friend. I have no clue as to what I need to do. What should I do?
        • 1. Re: WHAT DO I DO
          joeq Level 1
          hire someone.

or read the help files.

or buy a good book.
          • 2. Re: WHAT DO I DO
            delfloria Level 1
            Thank you! What a brillant idea. Why didn't I think of that? ;}
            • 3. Re: WHAT DO I DO
              Level 7
              Joe is right. Your use of DW with NO previous knowledge of web theory will
              place you in an immediate hole, from which you may never recover. There is
              no doubt in my mind that the only thing you will accomplish is to frustrate
              yourself and break your friend's site.

Building/modifying/fixing web pages is NOT something you can just start
              doing without considerable study first, even when using an excellent tool
              like DW.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"delfloria" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f99rm9$bqf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thank you! What a brillant idea. Why didn't I think of that? ;}

• 4. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                delfloria Level 1
                Thank you! I will not be using this after all. I have a friend at the local college who suggested that I try using MS web expression. Do you think this is a better idea?
                • 5. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                  Level 7
                  I think you will have exactly the same problem with XWeb that you would with
                  Dreamweaver. Perhaps worse, since there are many convenience features that
                  were not included in this first release of XWeb. And even more than DW,
                  XWeb will require you to understand the basics.

Without a reasonable familiarity with HTML and CSS, you are going to
                  struggle in any HTML authoring system. If you find one that you feel is
                  easier, it is easier because it is breaking the page. I wouldn't recommend
                  that you touch this job without doing some preparation first.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:f99soq$d2t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thank you! I will not be using this after all. I have a friend at the
                  > local college who suggested that I try using MS web expression. Do you
                  > think this is a better idea?

• 6. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                    Level 7
                    What type of changes do you want to make to the site?

--
                    B
                    www.visit-the-coqui.com/home
                    If you are thinking of a vacation to Puerto Rico
                    news:f99r1k$b15$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I have absolutely no experience in the area (website development); I got
                    >the
                    > trial version to see if I could learn enough to make changes to an
                    > existing
                    > website that was created by a friend. I have no clue as to what I need to
                    > do.
                    > What should I do?
                    >

• 7. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                      delfloria Level 1
                      Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                        delfloria Level 1
                        I wanted to add photos and add a flash on the home page.
                        • 9. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                          Level 7
                          You really need to learn HTML & CSS before attempting to modify the current
                          site using either DW or Expressions.

If you are just replacing photos (keeping them the same size etc..) you
                          might (might) be able to get away with it. Adding Flash is a different
                          matter.

Could the person that designed the site for you, not make the changes that
                          you want?

As the others have said, it might be safer to pay someone, especially if it
                          is a commercial site or something similar.

--
                          B
                          www.visit-the-coqui.com

news:f99vst$ghr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >I wanted to add photos and add a flash on the home page.

• 10. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                            Level 7
                            A good question - perhaps we should have started with that, rather than with
                            the rants! 8)

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            ==================
                            ==================

"B" <bw....@r....com> wrote in message
                            news:f99u27$ehq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > What type of changes do you want to make to the site?
                            >
                            > --
                            > B
                            > www.visit-the-coqui.com/home
                            > If you are thinking of a vacation to Puerto Rico
                            > "delfloria" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            > news:f99r1k$b15$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >>I have absolutely no experience in the area (website development); I got
                            >>the
                            >> trial version to see if I could learn enough to make changes to an
                            >> existing
                            >> website that was created by a friend. I have no clue as to what I need
                            >> to do.
                            >> What should I do?
                            >>
                            >
                            >

• 11. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                              delfloria Level 1
                              Thanks!
                              • 12. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                                Level 7
                                I have my moments...

--
                                B
                                "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                news:f9a1mu$iih$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >A good question - perhaps we should have started with that, rather than
                                >with the rants! 8)
                                >
                                > --
                                > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                > Adobe Community Expert
                                > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                > ==================
                                > http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                > http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                > ==================
                                >
                                >
                                > "B" <bw....@r....com> wrote in message
                                > news:f99u27$ehq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> What type of changes do you want to make to the site?
                                >>
                                >> --
                                >> B
                                >> www.visit-the-coqui.com/home
                                >> If you are thinking of a vacation to Puerto Rico
                                >> "delfloria" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                >> news:f99r1k$b15$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >>>I have absolutely no experience in the area (website development); I got
                                >>>the
                                >>> trial version to see if I could learn enough to make changes to an
                                >>> existing
                                >>> website that was created by a friend. I have no clue as to what I need
                                >>> to do.
                                >>> What should I do?
                                >>>
                                >>
                                >>
                                >
                                >

• 13. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                                  destind4film Level 1
                                  delfloria,

Joeq and others are absolutely correct. Hire someone, by a book, and use the help files and tutorials.

If you only have a passing or slight interest in web design you would be better off to hire someone who is reasonably priced and skilled to modify the site. There is a lot that can be done wrong and give you poor results. A couple of years ago a friend of mine once bought a template and asked me to modify it to suit his business. Since I had been in IT and had rebuilt his server and fixed his laptop and home PC, I was a logical choice for him to use. I opened it up in a trial version of DW and after a few days of messing with the template, and to my own embarrassment, I had to tell him that I couldn't do it. I was too overwhelmed by the huge array of features and had no understanding of working with templates of Flash. After designing a few sites and getting the basics down, I am now building a new site for him.

If you truly want to learn web design with a goal of making a career or atleast even a hobbyist pursuit, then you should really stick with Dreamweaver and learn it. Not really familiar with M$ Web express, but there is a reason that DW is pretty much the industry standard for Web Design apps. It is user friendly and very powerful. It is far more robust than any other wysiwyg's out there (IMHO)

I started learning web design by using iWeb because of the massive drag and drop ease of use and because it came with my MAC. After my first site I had reached the limitations of the application (after all, iWeb is more for family photo sharing and personal home pages more than anything) and I was also learning nothing about how to really work with industry standard designs or technologies. Realizing that to really create functional business sites I moved on to DW.

I have bought and gone through several books starting with a book on html (since I had no real knowledge and it is clear that no matter what application you use, you have to know what the code means, what it is doing and how to manipulate it.)

I would recommend Dreamweaver Missing Manual series and The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver by friendsofed. It may also prove helpful for you to join lynda.com. They have a huge library of video tutorials that walk you through step by step on how to do anything.

Hope some of this is helpful.
                                  • 14. Re: WHAT DO I DO
                                    Level 7
                                    nicely put

--
                                    B
                                    "destind4film" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:f9a2f9$jgt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > delfloria,
                                    >
                                    > Joeq and others are absolutely correct. Hire someone, by a book, and use
                                    > the
                                    > help files and tutorials.
                                    >
                                    > If you only have a passing or slight interest in web design you would be
                                    > better off to hire someone who is reasonably priced and skilled to modify
                                    > the
                                    > site. There is a lot that can be done wrong and give you poor results. A
                                    > couple of years ago a friend of mine once bought a template and asked me
                                    > to
                                    > modify it to suit his business. Since I had been in IT and had rebuilt
                                    > his
                                    > server and fixed his laptop and home PC, I was a logical choice for him to
                                    > use.
                                    > I opened it up in a trial version of DW and after a few days of messing
                                    > with
                                    > the template, and to my own embarrassment, I had to tell him that I
                                    > couldn't do
                                    > it. I was too overwhelmed by the huge array of features and had no
                                    > understanding of working with templates of Flash. After designing a few
                                    > sites
                                    > and getting the basics down, I am now building a new site for him.
                                    >
                                    > If you truly want to learn web design with a goal of making a career or
                                    > atleast even a hobbyist pursuit, then you should really stick with
                                    > Dreamweaver
                                    > and learn it. Not really familiar with M$ Web express, but there is a
                                    > reason
                                    > that DW is pretty much the industry standard for Web Design apps. It is
                                    > user
                                    > friendly and very powerful. It is far more robust than any other
                                    > wysiwyg's out
                                    > there (IMHO)
                                    >
                                    > I started learning web design by using iWeb because of the massive drag
                                    > and
                                    > drop ease of use and because it came with my MAC. After my first site I
                                    > had
                                    > reached the limitations of the application (after all, iWeb is more for
                                    > family
                                    > photo sharing and personal home pages more than anything) and I was also
                                    > learning nothing about how to really work with industry standard designs
                                    > or
                                    > technologies. Realizing that to really create functional business sites I
                                    > moved on to DW.
                                    >
                                    > I have bought and gone through several books starting with a book on html
                                    > (since I had no real knowledge and it is clear that no matter what
                                    > application
                                    > you use, you have to know what the code means, what it is doing and how to
                                    > manipulate it.)
                                    >
                                    > I would recommend Dreamweaver Missing Manual series and The Essential
                                    > Guide to
                                    > Dreamweaver by friendsofed. It may also prove helpful for you to join
                                    > lynda.com. They have a huge library of video tutorials that walk you
                                    > through
                                    > step by step on how to do anything.
                                    >
                                    > Hope some of this is helpful.
                                    >