24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 6:13 PM by the_wine_snob

CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?

Matt_Dale

Have just spent over a month talking with Adobe "Customer Service" - an offshore call centre whose entire capability seems to be to read from a script which says "Sir I understand your problem" - really? - "But all I can suggest is that you purchase CS5" - I had already! - "Or visit our online community".

Over a month - I may include the thread here - including a dozen telephone calls where I was occasionally hung up on and where I NEVER ONCE spoke with a technician who actually understood my problem.

I have client video projects stretching all the way back to Premiere CS2.

When I upgraded from CS3 to CS4 (on PC) I was told to "start all my video projects from scratch" - that was the helpful answer from the Adobe "Customer Service" team! It appears as though the way CS4 handles native media formats is entirely non-compatible with CS3 or earlier.

Two months ago I purchased a Mac and CS5 suite. Again, my CS3 projects are not compatible it seems. One month ago my PC died.

I began a dialog with Adobe "Customer Service" looking for help.

I own Production Suite or Master Suite in CS2, CS3, CS4 and CS5 - so I'm not a software pirate - and have a reasonable expectation that I should attract a certain level of support: specifically, I would like to exchange my CS3 PC software for CS3 Mac - seems like the best way to run those older projects - BUT I would gladly take any advice you can provide!!

After over a month talking with a range of "Customer Service" people ranging from well-meaning but un-trained to straight-ahead rude people, I've been told to go buy the software somewhere else!

Adobe CS3 for Mac ships new from $800 to $1500 from eBay.

Boot Camp is an option since I own CS3 for PC but then I need to buy Windows and a Parallel software solution - also around $1200.

I no longer feel like such an evangelist for IP - when this is the service you get as a Genuine Adobe Customer.

I love using Adobe products but am disgusted at the total lack of service.

Can anybody help?

• 1. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Please send me your case number at kopriva -at- adobe -dot- com.

I'll have a look at your case.

It's very late (just after midnight) here, though, so I won't get to it until tomorrow... er... later today.

• 2. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

OK, I just looked at your case in our database and at this thread.

Is your ideal goal to stay on CS3 with these projects or to migrate them up to CS5?

I know that you mentioned the former, but it is possible to move projects forward into a new version.

Moving from one OS to another loses some characteristics of a project, as does moving from one version to another, but the movement is possible.

Depending on which you want to do, we can help.

• 3. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
              Matt_Dale Level 1

Great - thank you!

When I tried to open CS3 (and CS2) projects in CS4, the timelines became incredibly unstable.

As you'll see from my thread, the person I contacted advised re-starting each project from scratch!

That's why I was favouring working in their native Versions.

These are/were projects making full use of dynamic linking with PS, AI and AE layers running live.

CS3 for Mac is the ideal solution I think.

• 4. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                jeremy d. Level 3

Hi Matt

When I tried to open CS3 (and CS2) projects in CS4, the timelines became incredibly unstable.

Can you describe "unstable?"

• 5. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                  Matt_Dale Level 1

Hi Jeremy,

"Unstable" means software crashing a dozen times in the first hour.

As I said in my thread, the "Customer Support" contact told me this is expected and that I should just recreate all my projects from scratch.

PC was hi-spec at the time: XP Pro, 4G RAM etc

• 6. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                    jeremy d. Level 3
                    As I said in my thread, the "Customer Support" contact told me this is expected and that I should just recreate all my projects from scratch.

I got that part. That is, of course, inaccurate.

But:

PC was hi-spec at the time: XP Pro, 4G RAM etc

If that's the machine you're still using, CS5 isn't going to run reliably on it, if at all.

• 7. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                      Matt_Dale Level 1

I run CS5 on my MacBook Pro:

8G RAM, OS Snow Leopard 64bit

i7 processor

• 8. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, I'm taking care of making sure that the support agent (the one who told you that the crashing behavior was expected and you needed to start your projects from scratch in the new version) is given accurate information.

• 9. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                          jeremy d. Level 3

OK.

It appears as though the way CS4 handles native media formats is entirely non-compatible with CS3 or earlier.

No. I tested that specifically. CS5 should behave as well.

Have you tried opening the projects with the media offline? (Does Premiere ask you for the footage at all?)

While I'm asking about the media, perhaps you sould tell us about the media format.

Have you tried importing the projects into an existing CS5 project?

• 10. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                            Matt_Dale Level 1

Given my previous experience, no, I did not attempt to open those projects in CS5: they hadn't worked in CS4.

But I'll have a go, that's for sure! Am in London now: when I get back to Sydney next week I'll investigate.

Having the files work in CS5 is the best of all scenarios.

You may be right: I was opening projects WITH CS4:

Perhaps I could have nested the Project by opening inside an existing CS5 project.

Thank you for the response. If this approach works, I'm golden. If not, I guess I'm still in the market for CS3 for Mac.

• 11. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                              Matt_Dale Level 1

An update on the Adobe Customer Support Portal: the team at the off-shore CRM site have once again kindly closed my case, citing "we believe your issue has been resolved and have closed your case". Must be a different understanding of the words "Service" and "Resolved" to the ones I'm used to.

Thanks for your help here, guys: feels like we're getting somewhere.

• 12. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                Matt_Dale Level 1

"

It appears as though the way CS4 handles native media formats is entirely non-compatible with CS3 or earlier.

No. I tested that specifically. CS5 should behave as well."

Were you testing a CS3 project with links to CS3 AI, PS and AE?

Have you tried opening the projects with the media offline? (Does Premiere ask you for the footage at all?)

I did not try that: the assets were linked in a consolidated folder with the rest of the project. Is this something I should try? Launching a CS2 or CS3 PP project with CS4 was successful as far as locating assets, from memory, but the timeline would not function - it crashed repeatedly.

I'm going to try nesting the project in a new CS5 PP project rather than "Opening With" and see if I can save a functioning version from there.

While I'm asking about the media, perhaps you sould tell us about the media format "

Everything from PS to AI and AE. For example a series of SVG layers from AI creating a shiny sharp edge effect on a title using Write On effect. Also MOV, AVI, WMV and VOB files (unless I had to convert the VOBs - can't remember now) - but basically every kind of media you can import to PP.

• 13. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                  Dag Norum Level 2

Going from Windows to MAC with AVI, WMV, and converted VOB's (if done) may cause some funny things to happen.

I think I would check up what CODEC's those AVI and converted VOB's are using, and check if your MAC supports them, and also check if your MAC supports WMV.

"basically every kind of media you can import to PP" is probably different on Windows than it is on MAC.

Dag

• 14. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                    Powered by Design Level 4

Make sure that any Effects or Transitions you have from your PC version is still available on your Mac version.

Maybe this is crashing your project.

Here is a chart showing how not all effects are the same on both platforms.

Open image in a new tab or window to see better.

Not sure if this is your problem but doesnt hurt to look.

GLenn

Premiere-CS5-Video-Transitions-Win-Mac-51-missing.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                      Matt_Dale Level 1

Really appreciate the unput, thanks!

• 16. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                        jeremy d. Level 3

The AI/PS/AE thing is bugging me, I'm not sure why. I wonder if you've launched the CS5 versions of these apps, and I wonder if you've opened those files in their respective CS5 apps.

First -- please save a copy of your project somewere, put it somewhere safe.

I would try opening the project offline -- no media -- and see if the timeline is still flaky.

I would also try importing it into CS5, first with the media, and then, assuming that doesn't work, offline.

Then it might be good to manually link the regular media first, without the DL linked files.

Also, the advice in the posts above is good as well -- we're all kind of brainstorming here until we get pointed in the right direction.

[OK, I need to change my tire -- you're English? so 'tyre' -- and get in to the office. I'll check back.]

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'll make 2 comments.

First, this sounds like the compatibility nightmare!  PC to Mac and CS3 to CS4 are each huge challenges.  If you can get this to work it will be a wonder.

Second, I am a new CS5 user.  CS3 for a long time, briefly CS4 on my old PC, then CS5 only on my new i7 PC.  I quickly ran into an oddity simply because I was DLing CS3 and CS4 PR projects in CS5.  Doesn't work.  But I opened each such project in CS5, was prompted for new name, saved those, and DL'd the new CS5 versions into the CS5 project.  But these had very little other than video and minimally edited.  So, Jeremie, I think your approach is the right one.  Each DL element being used in the "old" project needs to be brought up to CS5 before expecting it to work.

Matt, good luck!

• 18. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                            Matt_Dale Level 1

Thanks for the on-going support guys: what a turnaround!

Good news is, I'm only shooting on a 5D now, not multiple formats, and PP CS5 rips it up.

I'll post the results of attempting the suggestions above as soon as I'm back in Sydney.

• 19. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                              Matt_Dale Level 1

EUREKA - so grateful to you all for the input on this one. Back in Sydney with very good news.

CS5 (and CS4) will NOT run old version projects effectively, but the workaround of simply creating a CS5 project and importing the old project in its entirety has been 100% effective for me: I've tested it on the project in question as well as a couple others. Perfect.

And CS5 is a beast! Stable, rips through all kinds of files, really enjoying the way it spits out the render to a separate platform while I get on with other work - just amazing.

I will never get back the month I wasted trying to get "help" from "customer support" - whoever or wherever they are, they are certainly not native english speakers, nor are they Adobe users, let alone experts. Hopefully someone upstairs at Adobe reads this and amends their Customer Churn policy.

Meanwhile, thanks again for your assistance: I'll be back if I need more advice from the Obi-Wan Hive-Mind of Creative Professionals here at Adobe Forums - and will aspire to helping someone else one day!

Matt

• 20. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I will never get back the month I wasted trying to get "help" from "customer support" - whoever or wherever they are, they are certainly not native english speakers, nor are they Adobe users, let alone experts. Hopefully someone upstairs at Adobe reads this...

I'm in Adobe Technical Support. I hope that the fact that we responded early to this thread and tried to help you to get things sorted out goes some way to convincing you that we care and that we want to help you to succeed.

I'm glad that this eventually worked out for you. Sorry about the initial hassle.

• 21. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                                  Matt_Dale Level 1

Hi Todd,

You're right - you did respond within hours - minutes even. Thank you.

Perhaps the Customer Support script needs to have them say something like,

"Thanks for contacting Customer Support. We are a branch of Adobe Sales, and we will try to help. However if your question is of a technical nature; we strongly suggest that you go right to the Adobe Forum, where a team of experts is waiting to help you find a solution"

That would have saved me a lot of time.

Todd, thanks again!

Matt Dale

+61420958165

tube | facebook | linkedin | blogger | imdb | site

• 22. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

When questioned about any Adobe issue, in other fora, I always suggest that the person stop by the appropriate forum first. For years, we were just a rag-tag bunch of users, but some of those users are very, very good. Now, we are blessed with an Adobe presence here, and they can help in ways that the rest of us never dreamed of.

Going back many years, I placed the Adobe telephone C/S as #2 all-time great. I never dealt with T/S, so cannot comment. It does seem that perhaps both T/S and C/S have slipped. We all hear many comments on "the script," but most of us have never had a need to put that to the test. I can comment that I have seen documents indicating that Adobe is planning on making changes to the way T/S is structured, and perhaps C/S as well. However, in the corporate world, things do take time. It's not like the guy, who owns the print shop down the street, firing a person, who does not interface well with clients. We are talking major departments here. I would expect to see significant changes over time, and having Todd, and the rest of his "Wild Bunch" is a godsend, and indicates Adobe's commitment. Many of us burn incense toward San Jose daily.

I am sorry that you did loose the time - that stuff is valuable. Wish that you had found us sooner.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                                      Matt_Dale Level 1

Thanks Hunt! I'm not a religious man, but I'm a born-again Adobe user. With my trusty 64bit i7 8G macbook pro under my arm, I'm marching out to spread the word!

Matt Dale

+61420958165

tube | facebook | linkedin | blogger | imdb | site

• 24. Re: CS3 CS4 CS5 backwards compatible or just backwards?
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        Thanks Hunt! I'm not a religious man, but I'm a born-again Adobe user. With my trusty 64bit i7 8G macbook pro under my arm, I'm marching out to spread the word!

Good one!

Good luck,

Hunt