5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2007 9:34 AM by TheVampmaster

can't find the geturl Statement HELP PLEASE

TheVampmaster
      Ok I've been using for 3 years now flash, and of course sometimes I have to modify the work of others. So far when I intended to modify the target URL for a button I select the button, and modify the getURL statement.

Then I changed to CS3, and I got a menu I need to change... actionscript window is no longer where it used to be, but no problem, I just clicked F9 locate the button and see the actionscript right? WRONG.

All I see is the stop() and the gotoAndPlay statements but not a single gotoURL in all the AS window. I can't seem to find how to locate that instruction or even if there is another way to make a button go to a URL without the gotoURL instruction, that i'm sure has to be there... any idea how to locate the instruction?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Elliot J. Balanza
        • 1. Re: can't find the geturl Statement HELP PLEASE
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          Edit--->Find and Replace--->navigateToURL--->Find All
          • 2. Re: can't find the geturl Statement HELP PLEASE
            TheVampmaster Level 1
            Thanks actually navigateToURL didn't work but I tried with URL and I found them... or at least see them, in a weird location like:

screen'Contact' and there i can see the value on a getURL but I can't edit it, or see it on the action script panel yet... weird eh?

I even found which symbol, layer and frame it's supposed to be, but if I go to that symbol - frame - layer I can't see the code on the action script window... i can change it with the replace feature though.

How did they do this? invisible code?.

• 3. Re: can't find the geturl Statement HELP PLEASE
              Damon Edwards Level 3
              did you click the frames with the little 'a' on them. that signifies that actionscript resides on that frame.
              • 4. Re: can't find the geturl Statement HELP PLEASE
                TheVampmaster Level 1
                hahaha you brought a WIDE smile to my face... thanks... Of course I did clicked on the frames with the little 'a'. Actually I tried everything... clicked on the a, looking for the code in all the code lines on the actionscript window, line by line.

I even tried to find the code on the frame AFTER the search and replace told me where the code was embedded, (BTW good for that one i hadn't thought about using the feature in the whole site, after i tried looking for it on the action script pane), and so far i can't see the code... is like if it was locked out of sight, but i could edit it with the search and replace feature... i just want to know how they hid the code from plain sight, even when you know where to look for it.
                • 5. Re: can't find the geturl Statement HELP PLEASE
                  TheVampmaster Level 1
                  Ok here is how they did it, and i must say it was pretty clever.

they created a layer called hit, and put the button there, BUT on the layer hit on the first frame they just put a carriage return (in the frame)

Now when you click on the button, they put the normal stuff, on release etc. THEN they hide the hit layer and locked it.

End result, if you tried to see through AS the code, you just saw a carriage return, even when the code was in that same frame but on the button instance... further more even in the AS pane, you only see a carriage return UNTIL you unlock the layer, make it visible, and select the button, other wise you just see the carriage return...

Thanks for your feeback dzedward you are the best.