4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 7:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Having problems with rendering clipls

portacard

I am new to Premier elements, and am having problems with my clips needing frequent rendering.  Clips that have been rendered go from green (line) to red when a transition is added or if it is trimmed and must be rendered again.  Also rendering seems to take a very long time, sometimes going fast, sometimes going a frame per second or slower.  One possible problem is that I am mixing clips from two different cameras, one a HD and the other a standard def camera. I don't know if this is a factor or not.

• 1. Re: Having problems with rendering clipls
          nealeh Level 5
          • If your clips are initially importing with a red line your project preset may be wrong - what preset are you using?
          • After applying transitions or effects it is normal for those segments to go red line.
          • It doesn't help to use two different types of video in one project. What is your final output intent - DVD or BluRay? If DVD then it would be better to convert your HD material to DV-AVI. See the Gspot link below - analyse both types of clip you are using and post the screen images here.

Some basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
          • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get   Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Having problems with rendering clipls
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Two factors figure in to how long it takes to render a clip: The speed of your computer's processor and the resolution of the original footage.

By nature, AVCHD takes much longer to render than standard DV video.

Also, it's never a good idea to mix video from two different sources in the same project. If you'll let us know which two types of camcorders your video came from, we can recommend a method for converting one type to the other for a smooth, efficient project.

• 3. Re: Having problems with rendering clipls
              portacard Level 1

I suspected that there might be a problem mixing the formats but these were the only two camcorders I had and I needed two because I was filming a wedding.  I have used two or more 8mm camcorders before without this problem.  The two camcorders here are a Panasonic HDC-TM60 (HD internal memory) and a Sony DCR-TRV530 (digital 8MM). The aspect ratios are different but that is acceptable since the ratio simply changes with the edits and isn’t particularly objectionable in this situation.   The Computer is a AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.8 GHz with 3 GB ram.   The movie is about 1.5 hours long and I have captured about 40 or so clips from the 8MM to insert over a single track running the entire length from the HD camcorder.  I have gotten a couple of messages during the editing stating that the resources were low and to save the work and I was wondering if more ram would help there.  But what I can’t understand and what is causing me so much grief is why a clip that has been rendered would need rendering again after adding a transition or being trimmed.

• 4. Re: Having problems with rendering clipls
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Whenever one changes anything in a Rendered Clip, that part will need to be Rendered again. In the case of Transitions, only the area with the Transition will require Rendering. If one adds an Effect, or a PiP, or an overlay Title, then that Clip has changed and will need to be Rendered again. That is because the pixels have been altered.

Good luck,

Hunt