6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2010 2:24 PM by shooternz

WMF format

Derek Cross Level 6

Hi - I have Premiere Pro CS5 and Final Cut Pro 7 on my iMac. To produce Windows Media Viewer (WMV) files I use the Flip4Mac plug-in for Final Cut Pro. Is there a similar plug-in available for Premiere? The reason I want to produce this kind of format is that it seems to produce relatively small files and anyone seems to be able to play them so I can send videos to both Windows and Mac users as an email attachment. I've tried FLV the format but recipients don't seem able to open it.

So to summarise, am I on the right lines in using WMV files for this purpose and, if so, is there a way of producing them in Premiere Pro?

Thanks

Derek (UK)

• 1. Re: WMF format
          the_wine_snob Level 9

In AME, there are WMV Presets. Many users feel, however, that MS's Windows Media Encoder does a better job. It is my understanding that MS is planning on dropping that free encoder. I also do not know if there are any X-platform capabilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for FLV, the recipients will need a player. For the PC, I really like MediaPlayer Classic HC, and it's free.

• 2. Re: WMF format
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use the PR Windows Media export regularly.  Just pick export -> Adobe media encoder, then pick windows media from the format drop down, and try one of the presets.  There are lots of choices, and the bitrate will make the file size larger or smaller.  File size will be the big issue for  you in terms of quality.

The microsoft encoder may do a better job, but for routine things, the PR output is fine.

• 3. Re: WMF format
              jkosmicki Level 2

I use MPE daily to export WMV, it does a good job, CS5 is way better then CS4 was with interlaced source material (frame blending is much improved). I love the WMV format, it usually produces smaller file sizes and, in my opinion, better quality videos then straight H.264. The best WMV encoder is TMPEG, although I don't think they make a Mac version.

• 4. Re: WMF format
                shooternz Level 6

I seem to recall that Flip4Mac is a plugin that attachs to QTPlayer ( maybe QT Pro Player)

This enables you to encode to wmv from the QT Player

• 5. Re: WMF format
                  Derek Cross Level 6

Thanks for the replies. As I understand it, you guys are working on PCs and the applications you use, such as Media Player Classic, are not available for the Mac. When I look at the presets that come with Premiere and with the Encoder, I don't see any for WMV. Have I got that right? If so, it seems I have to round-trip between Premiere and Final Cut if I want to output files compatible with Windows Media Player!

Derek

• 6. Re: WMF format
                    shooternz Level 6

I seem to recall that Flip4Mac is a plugin that attachs to QTPlayer ( maybe QT Pro Player)

This enables you to encode to wmv from the QT Player

This suggestion is how I understand it works in a Mac. ( It is how I used to do it when I had a Mac and my audio post house does it this way as well)

Flip4 Mac is a plugin that works with QT. on a Mac. It adds export options for wmv to the menus. and allows playbcak of wmv

On Windows PCs...wmv creation and playback is "native." to the OS.