5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2010 1:38 AM by OskarSaiz RSS

Using SOAP in Reader

OskarSaiz Community Member

Hi all.

I've developed a simple application in a PDF using SOAP lo launch a web service.

This does not work in reader, unless you have Form Export  Rights open”.

To open these rights I've read that I need "Adobe LiveCycle Rights server", wich costs "hundreds to ten of hundreds dollars".

Does anyone know an alternative to this?

That is: Any other way to use web services in javascript in reader?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Using SOAP in Reader
          GKaiseril ACP/MVPs

None of the Soap object properties are restricted, Only the some of the methods require 'Extended Reader Rights' and there are a couple of the methods that have enhanced security the will require an application level function or a certified PDF to be used. You can apply the Extended Reader Rights with Acrobat Pro 8 or Acrobat 9 Standard or higher. But if you use Acrobat, there is a limit on the number of copies of the PDF that can be distributed.

• 2. Re: Using SOAP in Reader
            George_Johnson ACP/MVPs

Note that the right you need cannot be granted using Acrobat. You do indeed need to use LiveCycle Reader Extensions. But there is at least one third-party service (FormRouter.com) that will, for a fee, enable individual documents.

• 3. Re: Using SOAP in Reader

I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong...

It fails (in reader) in the first call:

try {

var myProxy = SOAP.connect("http://2203-19/ws2/service1.asmx?wsdl");

} catch(e) {

app.alert({

cMsg: "Error connecting to the web service",

cTitle: "My App"

});

In Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0 it works OK.

I granted "Extended Reader Rights" by doing: Advanced->Extend Features in Adobe Reader

(It is the only similar thing I found. I wonder if I got right...).

Any clue?

Or any other way to communicate with a server, without using "LiveCycle Reader Extensions"?

Thanks for all the advices...

• 4. Re: Using SOAP in Reader
                George_Johnson ACP/MVPs

I as I indicated earlier, you cannot use Acrobat to grant the right that will allow SOAP to work with Reader. Only LiveCycle Reader Extentions can.

• 5. Re: Using SOAP in Reader

You're right George_Johnson. I will do it using forms instead of WebServices.

Thanks all for your help.