4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 5:18 PM by AsianOcean.com

Yesterday's Premiere update apparently overwrote GTX480 hack

rowby Level 1

Hello

After Adobe update updated the varous CS5 programs, it also apparently overwrote the GTX480 hack in the text file.

When opening an existing project I get this message 'Missing Renderer   This project was last used with Mercury Playback Engine GUP Acceleration, which is not available on this system.  PPlayback Engine Software Only will be used."

Can anyone remind us where that Text file is located so we can reapply the GTX480 hack?

Thanks,

...Rowby

• 1. Re: Yesterday's Premiere update apparently overwrote GTX480 hack
          metalsaber Level 1

This is the file you want to edit.

cuda_supported_cards.txt

• 2. Re: Yesterday's Premiere update apparently overwrote GTX480 hack
            rowby Level 1

Thanks,

For those who are using my card (GeForce GTX 480) , here is how I modified the file, which I found in the Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 folder.  (IMPORTANT I modified it in Notepad (not Word or Wordpad -- which will corrupt the file).  You must use  a text editor.:

Below is the file as modified:

GeForce GTX 285
            GeForce GTX 470
            GeForce GTX 480
            Quadro CX
            Quadro FX 3800
            Quadro FX 4800
            Quadro FX 5800
            Quadro 4000
            Quadro 5000

Note, when trying to save the above file you will most likely get an access denied message.  To avoid that, here are the step by step instructions:

1. go to your Program Accessories and RIGHT CLICK click on Notepad.

2.  Then choose Run as administrator.

3. Then browse over to the above Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 folder and open the cuda_supported_cards.txt file and make the modification.

4. Then save it.

By doing the above hack you can immediatley restart Premiere Pro and use it with the GTX 480

BTW when I do hacks such as this I first make a copy of the unhacked file and save it somewhere else --- just in case things go wrong.

...Rowby

• 3. Re: Yesterday's Premiere update apparently overwrote GTX480 hack
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Speaking of saving somewhere else...

You should buy software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... which makes restoring very easy

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information

I have 2 boot drives in my computer... an active one and a spare that is mounted in a drive bay but not connected to anything

Before I install anything major, or a couple times a year "just because" I will make an image backup of my active drive... turn the computer off and swap power and SATA cables to the spare drive... and then restore the image to the "new" active drive

This works perfectly, with no loss of anything and no need to re-register any program

• 4. Re: Yesterday's Premiere update apparently overwrote GTX480 hack
                AsianOcean.com Level 1

Thank you for the tip. That was so helpful, running as administrator.

-BC