8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 1:15 PM by Zac Lam

Using Built-in encoder

EngineerChris

I'm working on integrating premiere into our video pipeline. I would like to be able to export h.264 in a container besides mp4. I'm assuming that I have to implement an exporter, but if there is a better way, I'd be happy to hear.

The question I have is: Is it possible to reuse the H.264 encoder/pipeline that is available in another plugin, or do I have to integrate my own encoder?

• 1. Re: Using Built-in encoder
          Rallymax Level 2

It's not but... you could try to mimic the premiere back-end and open the plugin yourself. Ugly but theoretically possible since other 3rd party people have made their video tools capable of consuming Adobe plugins.

I wouldn't recommend it.

If the Lesser GPL license model is ok for your use, you could use the libavformat open source code to make your container - it can basically make anything. Use their libavformat\output example as a starting point.

I've been trying to use it to container my H.264 but be warned I've spent MANY hours fighting a divide by zero trying to get H.264 and AC3 streams muxed in the same container.

• 2. Re: Using Built-in encoder
            Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Chris,

There are some options in the H.264 export that will change the file format.  In the Multiplexer tab, if you change the Multiplexing from mp4 to None, that will generate .m4v files.  Or you can choose 3gpp multiplexing, though I doubt that's what you're after.  What format(s) are you looking for?

• 3. Re: Using Built-in encoder
              EngineerChris Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies.

Basically, its a tansport stream. We have some particular requirements. I have a muxer that will take care of that side of things. The problem is, it seems like I either need to post-process the m4v, or implement a custom export plugin.

If I post-process the m4v, the solution isn't integrated, which is undesirable.

If I create an export plugin, I have to implement the encoder, which can be done. It justs seems redundant since most of the content is there. Wrapping around the H.264 encoder is something I've been thinking about... but it seems less than ideal as well. Not to mention, I'm not sure if there are any legal ramifications.

• 4. Re: Using Built-in encoder
                Zac Lam Adobe Employee

What about using the H.264 Blu-ray format, and setting Multiplexing to TS?  You'll also need to set the Audio Format Settings to Dolby Digital for that to work.  Ideally you could just save out all your settings in a preset.

• 5. Re: Using Built-in encoder
                  EngineerChris Level 1

I wish! I looked at that, but we don't support Dolby Digital right now.

• 6. Re: Using Built-in encoder
                    Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Wrapping an existing exporter could work, but it would be fragile as we make changes from version to version.  Planning on implementing Dolby Digital support any time soon?

If not, may I suggest you make a bug report / feature request here, with details on how these TS-wrapped H.264 files would fit into your existing workflow: https://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Cheers,

Zac

• 7. Re: Using Built-in encoder
                      EngineerChris Level 1

Nope, Dolby Digital doesn't look like much of an option

Is it possible to implement a global post-encoder tool, like the FTP? That could work

• 8. Re: Using Built-in encoder
                        Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Unfortunately there's no SDK for post encoders tools at this time.  I suppose using a watch folder system could automate things a bit.