4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 11:20 PM by mark pilkinton

need help casting shadows

mark pilkinton Level 1

New to using AE CS4...I have a 3d scene (screen shot below) and want to cast shadows off the video section like have done with the still image. How do I do this? I would like to have different 3d objects moving in and out, with the sections of video hitting them and falling off as they move by. Like I said I am new to AE (2 weeks) and may be moving to quick before I learn the basics!

Thanks,

Mark

Screen-shot.jpg

• 1. Re: need help casting shadows
          shooternz Level 6

I think there are a fews ways you could do this.

For simplicity... I would duplicate the layer of the video screen so that you had a "clean object".

I would position and apply perspective to it

and then crush it down with levels.

Apply a little opacity to taste.

• 2. Re: need help casting shadows
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Assuming your still image has a shadow being cast by your light (rather than a fake shadow as mentioned in the post above) you simply need to enable shadow casting for your footage layer.

Select the footage layer, press AA to reveal Material Properties, set Casts Shadows to On.

The footage layer will, of course, need to be positioned correctly within your 3D environment for the shadow to appear correctly.

• 3. Re: need help casting shadows
              mark pilkinton Level 1

Thanks for the help, I did check the same info under Material Options on the video comp layer as I did on the image layer. The video section I am having problems casting a shadow from is a comp layer added to my 3d comp and may have something to do with the problem, because when I import just the video and set it to 3D the same as the comp, it cast a shadow. I did the video as a comp and built up solids behind the video to look as if it where on a 3D rectangle. I may need to do it another way if I want the shadow.

• 4. Re: need help casting shadows
                mark pilkinton Level 1

I got it now....need to turn on cast shadows on all layers in the comp I'm importing!