3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 8:01 PM by jeremy.therealmccoy

CS5 Mac playback issues

jeremy.therealmccoy

This is a baffling problem. I have a fully updated Premiere CS5 installation on a Macbook Pro (4,1), created an HDV project with the DVCPRO 720p24 preset, and proceeded to import the MXF files from my Panasonic HVX200P camera.

Once the files are loaded, I can see the clips, add them to the timeline and scrub through them. However, when I attempt to play them back at normal speed, I can only see 2-6 frames of playback from the starting point before it stops. I was able to blind-edit some clips and the exported file came out fine, but not being able to preview the project from within Premiere is kind of a deal-breaker.

After further inspection, this issue is not limited to the Panasonic files. SD and HD H.264 MP4 files exported from both Premiere and FFMPEG have the same problem.

Does anyone know if this issue is fixable?

• 1. Re: Fixed it.
          jeremy.therealmccoy Level 1

Never mind, I fixed it. It turned out to be a permissions issue, which makes no sense at all. If anyone at Adobe is reading this, please tell your dev team that if a user has permission to read a file, they should have permission to play that file. Thanks.

If anyone else has this problem, here's what I did to fix it:

Open Terminal

Type the following commands:

cd /directory/your/project/and/media/files/are/in

chown -Rv yourusername *

chmod -Rv a=rwxrwxrwx *

Enable root user (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528)

Open the project file

Save the project file

Log back in as yourself

It should be fixed.

I would have used the Disk Utility "Repair Permissions" feature, but for some reason it was grayed out for this drive.

Thanks to daniel.hyblak for tipping me off to the solution. Here's his post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2985085#2985085

• 2. Re: Fixed it.
            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Saving the project actually has nothing to do with it - the fact that you logged in as root is what fixed your problem.  Check around for other posts about playback problems on mac (or do a search for the keyword 'aggregate') - it has to do with a screwed up state of your audio driver. The less convoluted workaround involves deleting a plist file from your preferences folder.

• 3. Re: Fixed it.
              jeremy.therealmccoy Level 1

Fascinating. I did some searching like you said and found this article with instructions: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/842/cpsid_84287.html

I have no idea why logging in as a new user with elevated permissions would alter the driver configuration, or why Premiere would be able to play sound for a few frames and have the driver kick back some sort of instruction that forces it to stop, but apparently this fixes it.

Thanks for your help Will. As a system administrator, I'd love to learn more about what's wrong with the driver configuration in this case. I don't know if you have that information, but if you do, I'd love to have it.