8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2010 7:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!

ChessChamp

Hi,

I'm working with an project where I have made use of the menus for the DVD, I have the startmenu with choices to "Play all" and "Play scene" and I want to get rrid of the "Play all" choice!

The Premiere Elements Help file talks about the possibility to make DVD w/ menu that does not have the "Play all" button on the startmenu and also the help talks about getting rid off buttons in the DVD menu - but helps me nothing!

Does anybody here have a hint about how to get rid of the "Play all" buttonchoice on the startmenu for the DVD?

• 1. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
          nealeh Level 5

You should be able to select the box and delete it.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure you can remove it, without altering the original template.

Is it vital enough that you remove it that you're willing to open the template file and do some deep work on it in Photoshop Elements?

As I show in my books, it not that hard -- but it's a bit beyond the typical use of the programs.

• 3. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As mentioned above, doing modifications to the Menu Sets is not hard, in Photoshop/PSElements, there are conventions, that one must follow. If one is going to modify the Menu Sets, I strongly recommend that they work on Copies of those, rather than doing the work on the original Assets. Then, when done, just move the new Menu Sets to a folder within the Assets folder hierarchy, and to make sure to have all the necessary files in that new folder, including the PNG's to view in the Create Menus Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
                ChessChamp Level 1

Well, no, it is not vital enough to fix, come to think of it. but it would be more correct to get rid of it... I have placed a stopmarker in the end of the first clip that kicks the viewer back to the menu if he has clicked the "play all". (infact I have placed an stopmarker in the end of all clips so that the viewer is kicked back to menu after all selections)

Since the menu speaks about creating an DVD w/ menu that does not "play all" clips in a row, I just thought that it would be easy to get it for my DVD...

• 5. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
                  nealeh Level 5

ChessChamp wrote:

Since the menu speaks about creating an DVD w/ menu that does not "play all" clips in a row,

Where are you seeing  that?

As a workaround you can always edit the 'Play Movie' text to something like 'Play Scene 1'. Your stop markers will force a return to the main menu requiring the watcher to click 'Scene Selection' (you could rename this to 'Play Other Scenes'.

Make sure you do ***NOT*** place a Stop Marker at the very end of the timeline. That is automatic. If you manually add one it usually crashes PRE during the Share process.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
                    ChessChamp Level 1

I have localized Premiere Elements to Swedish and press F1 for helpfile, then in the popup html helpfile I choose "Skapa skivmenyer" which directtranslates into *"Create discmenus".

Then I select "Typer av skivor och menyalternativ " = " *"Types of discs and menualternatives"

Then I look at the bottom of that page and see a section about menubase discs - there it speaks about it "

Menybaserad skiva med flera filmval
                    De här skivorna passar bäst för fristående filmer, som du inte vill kombinera till en enskild film. Om du till exempel skapar en skiva med ett bröllop kanske du vill ha förberedelserna, ceremonin och festen som separata filmer. Var och en av dem får då en egen knapp på huvudmenyn."

=

*"Menubased disc with several clipchoices:

This discs is suitable for independant clips, that you do not want to be played combined as one film. If e.g. you create a disc with an wedding then maybe you want the preparations, ceremony and the party as separate films. Each of them gets an button in the mainmenu."

* My own translation - not the english helptext

• 7. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
                      nealeh Level 5

Thanks for that, Your translation is pretty much spot on. The whole section in English (in both PRE7 & PRE8 help) is:

Menu-based discs

Menu-based discs work best for presenting long movies or a set of movies meant to be played from start to finish, or that contain scenes you want to access from a submenu. From the main menu, you can choose to play the movie or go to a scene selection submenu. There are two types of menu-based discs:

Menu-based with scenes menu
                      These are best for presenting single long movies that play well from start to finish, but that also contain scenes that you can access from a submenu. From the main menu, you can choose to play the whole movie or go instead to a scenes menu. The scenes menu lets you navigate to scenes within the movie. You generally set up the project so that each scene represents an interesting point in the movie; however, it is possible to start a scene whenever a certain amount of play time has elapsed, or anywhere else.
                      Menu-based with several movie selections
                      These are best for presenting a set of individual movies that you don’t want to combine into a single movie. For example, in a wedding disc, you might want to present the preparations, the ceremony, and the reception as separate movies. Each will have its own button on the main menu.

Annoyed Grunt (D'Oh). I feel even dumber than Homer S.!!!! I'm so used to Scene Markers and Stop Markers I'd totally forgotten about Main Menu Markers (as I rarely use them). Add a Main Menu Marker on the timeline and it adds a button to the Main Menu. Try it with the General> Generic One template and you can create a menu with up to six 'movies' on the main screen. Delete all the scene markers and that's the only menu screen seen.:

1.png

It still doesn't allow the deletion of the Play All button (I think I must have been thinking of Magix Movies on DVD earlier).

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Creating DVD w/ menu... Wanted no "Play all"!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back some months, one user wanted to do the same thing, and found that my shrinking the Play All Button to almost nothing, they were able to do what they wished. The drawback is that the Button still exists, even if the user cannot easily see it, so it CAN be navigated to with the player remote, or with a mouse in DVD player software. This is sort of the concept of an "easter egg" Button on a Menu. It's there, but not seen. Usually, that is done with Transparency in the design of the Menu and its Buttons.

For the vast majority of users, the semi-automatic authoring in PrE is just perfect, as it takes so much of the work out of the mix. However, it does limit one with what they can do regarding authoring. Some users, who move to the full-featured authoring app. Encore, hate that they now have to do everything by hand, and that is not an "Easy Button." That is the trade-off between semi-automatic and full manual.

Maybe it is because I use Encore, where everything is done by hand, but I like to just edit a Copy of my Menu Set, and use that.

Good luck,

Hunt