7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2010 6:10 PM by kglad

newbie question about noscript tag

sukhwinderp

Hi everyone,
      I've used flash for a while but I'm confused about the noscript tag when  using AC_RunActiveContent.js in the head section of my site. Here is  the code for my flash file:

<script type="text/javascript">
           AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0','width','960','height','374','src','myflashfile','quality','high','plug  inspage','http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer','movie','myflashfile','wmode','transparent' ); //end AC code
      </script>
      <noscript>
           <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="960" height="374" id="myflashfile"><param name="movie" value="myflashfile.swf"><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></object>
      </noscript>

I thought the noscript tag was supposed to run the flash animation even if javascript was disabled but this doesn't happen in Firefox 3.6.8 for Mac. Nothing  happens with JS disabled - blank space on the screen. It does work, however, in Safari 5.0.2 for Mac with JS  disabled. Is there any purpose in actually using the noscript tag? I'm  confused and sorry for the newbie question. Also, I'm confused on the  older embed tag I used to use all the time. Seems like nobody uses it  anymore? Is it actually needed or perhaps obsolete?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Just totally confused about this

• 1. Re: newbie question about noscript tag
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

where's your embed tag?

• 2. Re: newbie question about noscript tag
            sukhwinderp Level 1

I'm not using the embed tag anymore. I don't see it used on many web designer's sites that I've looked at, I thought it was just for older versions of Netscape:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/415/tn_4150.html

"The EMBED tag is for Netscape Navigator 2.0 or later, or browsers that  support the use of the Netscape-compatible plugin version of Flash  Player."

This is what confuses me (when I use the embed tag, the code isn't W3C compliant). Is my code above correct? This was what flash CS4 generated for me. I just don't know why the noscript portion doesn't work in Firefox with JS disabled. Perhaps someone can clarify all this for me.

• 3. Re: newbie question about noscript tag

did you know ff is a mozilla (or netscape-based) browser?

unless you know what you're doing and understand the consequences of making changes, use the html published by your flash program.

• 4. Re: newbie question about noscript tag
                sukhwinderp Level 1

Thanks for the scolding, I deserve it

I'm often asked to do flash animations. I learn by example. I  don't understand why the noscript tag doesn't work in FF with or without the embed tag. And why so few people use the embed tag anynore. Markup won't W3C validate with the embed tag. While learning all this, I visit the top flash designer in town and look at their home page:

www (dot) mapleweb (dot) ca

Beautiful work. Look for the swf in the source code on their home page and on their contact page. They don't use the noscript tag at all nor an embed tag. These guys are the best flash designers in the city.

• 5. Re: newbie question about noscript tag

they may be the best designers in your town but i'm not sure they're the best developers.  or, they may be the best developers in your town.

but they sure make extensive use of javascript which includes a standard javascript method to embed flash.  without javascript you won't see any flash whether you're using an ie browser or mozilla based browser.

so, i'm not sure what point you're trying to make by referencing that web site.

• 6. Re: newbie question about noscript tag
                    sukhwinderp Level 1

They use AC_RunActiveContent.js for their flash animations. But they don't use the Adobe-generated code like you advised me to do. My old code is noted in the example above (sans the embed tag) but when you look at their code, the're missing the noscript tag *and* the embed tag. None there whatsoever. Since I work with flash as little as posslble on the web, I thought that maybe this was a new trend or something and that none of the other code was even really needed anymore.

The whole problem I pointed out at the start of this thread was that when using AC_RunActiveContent.js (a standard javascript method to embed flash as you say), flash still works in Safari on the Mac but not in FF on the Mac when JS is disabled. To correct you, yes - you *do* see the flash animations when you run Safari for Mac with JS disabled if you include the noscript tag generated by Adobe. But not in FF.

I found some great info on the net this afternoon about using swfobject.js so I'm using that instead. It works with all browsers. If the user has JS disabled, in the div id="flashcontent" tag, I just dislpay an alternate image which also has a "JS and Adobe Flash Player required" message. Seems to work well and no W3C validation errors for the embed tag which everyone gets no matter what they do aside from using "document.write" which causes all sorts of problems in the world's #1 lousiest browser, Big "G's" Chrome which we call Crumb up in this neck of the woods 

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: newbie question about noscript tag

you're welcome.