10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2007 11:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

stage qualitly

Level 7
      hi,
      when initalized, i set my stage quality to low - so far it wored fine.
      however, now i load into my movie an external swf with rounded corner, and
      not surprisingly it looks bad.
      is there a way to set the quality of the loaded swf to hight (or medium)
      while the rest of the stage remains in low quality?

thanks,
      eRez
      www.allofme.com

• 1. Re: stage qualitly
          Level 7
          eRez,

> is there a way to set the quality of the loaded swf to hight
          > (or medium) while the rest of the stage remains in low
          > quality?

Are you using ActionScript 2.0? If so, the MovieClip class features a
          _quality property. You should be able to set the MovieClip._quality
          property of the container clip that holds your loaded SWF to "HIGH" or
          "BEST", while setting the _root's _quality property to "LOW" (_root points
          to a MovieClip instance).

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: stage qualitly
            Rothrock Level 5
            David you might want to read a bit further down in the help entry for MovieClip._quality! :)

Note: Although you can specify this property for a MovieClip instance, it is a global property, and you can specify its value simply as _quality. Setting the _quality for a MovieClip instance will set the quality for the entire SWF.

I don't know if that means only the externally loaded swf, but my guess it means for the entire contents of that instance of the flash player.
            • 3. Re: stage qualitly
              Rothrock Level 5
              PS: WOW! The book is real and has five stars on Amazon. Congrats!
              • 4. Re: stage qualitly
                Level 7
                Rothrock,

> David you might want to read a bit further down in the
                > help entry for MovieClip._quality! :)

[blinks eyes ... looks again]
                <quote>
                Note: Although you can specify this property for a MovieClip object, it is
                also a global property, and you can specify its value simply as _quality.
                </quote>

Hrrm. Man, I think you're right, Rothrock. When I read that, I
                (mis)understood it as an either/or thing. Meaning, you could specify it as
                a specific property *or* globally, because it's "also" a global property.
                Shucks!

> I don't know if that means only the externally loaded swf,
                > but my guess it means for the entire contents of that instance
                > of the flash player.

Yeah, that's my hunch too, now. It's probably related to the global
                quality setting you can set in the HTML.

David Stiller

• 5. Re: stage qualitly
                  Level 7
                  Rothrock,

> PS: WOW! The book is real and has five stars on Amazon. Congrats!

It is a real book. ;) That represents about five months of my life's
                  evenings.

Yeah, only one review so far, but the customer is happy. :-D I've
                  received email feedback from a handful of others (whom I've asked to write
                  additional reviews). It was a fun project -- Tom Green is an absolute
                  hoot -- and I hope it helps people dig into CS3.

David Stiller

• 6. Re: stage qualitly
                    Rothrock Level 5
                    Yeah. I ran into TextField._soundbuftime (and TextField._quality) yesterday when I was looking at something else. I think the note on TextField._quality is much clearer (emphasis mine):

Note: Although you can specify this property for a TextField object, it is actually a global property, and you can specify its value simply as _quality. For more information, see the _quality global property.

Crazy that text fields have a _soundbuftime!
                    • 7. Re: stage qualitly
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      I guess the real question is why would you want to have your stage quality set to LOW in the first place? What are you doing that benefits from that?
                      • 8. Re: stage qualitly
                        Level 7
                        Rothrock,

> Crazy that text fields have a _soundbuftime!

Wow, unbelievable. I agree, the explanation under this property is much
                        more clearly conveyed. But why on earth would a TextField instance be
                        related to buffer time for all sounds in a movie?

ActionScript 3.0 completely reorganizes many classes as presented in
                        AS2, putting things in their proper place and thinning out what remains.
                        Part of the reason for AS3's improved performance. That's the sort of thing
                        that gets me excited about the new language, in spite of its complexity.

David Stiller

• 9. Re: stage qualitly
                          Rothrock Level 5
                          TextField._soundbuftime – when inheritance goes wrong! Terribly wrong!
                          • 10. Re: stage qualitly
                            Level 7
                            first - i'd like to thank you David and Rothrock for your quick replies -
                            i'm happy with the discussion i had initialized. due to (major) time zone
                            differences (i'm in GMT+2:00), i sent that message right as i was living the
                            office and saw your replies first thing i got back this morning, that's why
                            i didn't take part in your discussion.

anyhow, the reason i'm using low quality in the first place is that my whole
                            project is some sort of timeline UI, which includes lots of vertical lines
                            and other data presented on that timeline, and since that timeline can be
                            dragged horizontally and zoomed in and out, in order to reduce render time i
                            set the movie's quality to low. however, now i've added information
                            'balloons' (loaded from external swf) for the assets on the timeline, and as
                            i've mentioned it has round corners, and with low quality it looks baaaaad.
                            if it helps (or the other way around...) i'm actually using AS 3.
                            i'd appreciate if you have any solution to my problem, however what is was
                            thinking of (after living the office yesterday and before i saw your replies
                            today) is having that balloon as a png, instead of vector graphics, and
                            since i load this swf only once, the impact on the loading time might not be
                            crucial.

thanks again,
                            eRez
                            www.allofme.com