23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 4:13 PM by areohbee

Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized

LehighValley

I just bought my wife a Canon S95 specifically because it could produce raw files. I just tried to import her first pictures using Lightroom 3.2 and CR2 files are not supported. Silly me I did not check the supported camera list. The S90 is there but not the S95. When do you think Adobe will get around to supporting this camera?

• 1. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
          Level 4

The last versions of ACR and Lightroom were released very recently.  The next version, therefore, will come in three or four months.  The S95 could be supported then, but there's no guarantee.

• 2. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
            RSallee

Using an exif editor ( such as ExifTools) you can change the Canon Model ID to Powershot S90 and then ACR will read your RAW file.

• 3. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
              MamboPics

As suggested above, use ExifTools.  After downloading it, you can simply run (under windows):

exiftool "-CanonModelID=PowerShot S90" somedir

where somedir is the directory containing your cr2 files

or for just one file:

exiftool "-CanonModelID=PowerShot S90" somefile.cr2

ACR works on the modified files, and does a decent job.

-Amir

• 4. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                areohbee Level 6

One-click Importer has been enhanced to automatically import CR2 files from G12 & S95.

(if you're willing to edit a lua text config file to adapt to your disk drive/folder names)

Rob

• 5. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                  - JM - Level 3

>The next version, therefore, will come in three or four months.

I have not been paying attention to the update schedule for ACR, is there a specific timeline for updating raw compatibility, for example every 4 months or is it random and only when "needed"?

• 6. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

<JM> wrote:

...is there a specific timeline for updating raw compatibility, for example every 4 months or is it random and only when "needed"?

In general, ACR/LR gets updated 3-4 times per year based mostly on the number of new cameras released in a time period. Lots of new cameras (such as the newly announced/released cameras at Photokina) may delay a release a bit because of the work involved in adding new camera support. Generally, when that happens, Adobe releases a public "beta" (or a release candidate) to help new camera buyers in the interim-but that's not a sure thing and timing is still always against early adopters...

• 7. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                      facue

The one click importer worked great for me.  It took a few tries to figure out the proper changes required for the config file but once i got it going it is awsome.  Thank you so much.

• 8. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                        areohbee Level 6

Cooool...

Can you let me know which things tripped you up the most, or offer suggestions for making it easier to modify the importer config?

(Private messages OK)

4Q2 facue,

Rob

• 9. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                          facue Level 1

Rob,

I am new to this forums thing and don't know how to do private messages.  Anyway maybe someone else can benifet from my mistakes.

I am little embarased to say that my biggest problem was that I didn't notice that the line for import directory was set to = nil  and then the drive letters were commented out.  I changed the drive letters but didn't remove the "nil --".  Once that was corrected it took me a few tries to figure out that the folder that displays as My Pictures folder was really Pictures so i ended up creating a few extra folders before I got it right.  Not sure why windows does that, must have something to do with the libraries.  Also I thought that the ____IMPORT____ at the end of the path was some sort of key wording so I left that in there for my first try.

Next I will try setting up my Cannon 30D.

Thanks again,

Joseph

• 10. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                            areohbee Level 6

Hi Joseph,

To send someone a private message, just click their name (under their "avatar" icon), then select "Send Private Message" under Actions (top page right).

So it sounds like the problems were mostly of the "non-programmer editing a program file" variety. I may find a way to configure via plugin manager.

Anyway, for now - its at least doable...

Thanks,

Rob

• 11. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                              - JM - Level 3

Hi Amir

>As suggested above, use ExifTools.  After downloading it, you can simply run (under windows):

thanks it worked great with a Mac as well, within terminal. I added overwrite to remove the original ( I had already made a copy)

exiftool "-CanonModelID=PowerShot S90" -overwrite_original  /Volumes/DRIVE2/CanonS95/folder1 (wherever your files are located)

here's a link to more exiftool info if anyone else wants to give this a try.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/install.html

thanks

j

Jeff-

>In general, ACR/LR gets updated 3-4 times per year based mostly on the number of new cameras released in a time period.

thanks for the info, is the process of adding new cameras very involved, or are the delays because of difficulty getting raw data from the manufacturers?

j

• 12. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                Graham Mounsey

That's brilliant, thanks for the advice.

• 13. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                  - JM - Level 3

makes me wonder if the upgrade workflow within Adobe for ACR could be made more modular or adjusted somehow to accommodate updates for individual cameras instead of having to wait for enough cameras to justify large quarterly updates.

• 14. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                    areohbee Level 6

areohbee wrote:

One-click Importer has been enhanced to automatically import CR2 files from G12 & S95.

(if you're willing to edit a lua text config file to adapt to your disk drive/folder names)

Rob

Configuration is now via plugin manager, so you don't have to edit the configuration via lua text file.

• 15. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                      areohbee Level 6

Yeah, Adobe is not geared for quick releases, even for critical bug fixes and new cameras. Although, I could argue for dot-dot releases for camera support and critical bug fixes, I acknowlege this would probably require a fair amount of extra work for Adobe...

• 16. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                        - JM - Level 3

Hi Rob

Is your plugin for LR only, not PS/ACR/Bridge?

thanks

j

Oops, nevermind I just took a peek at your website, nice bunch of plugins... but alas, I'm PS only.

• 17. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                          - JM - Level 3

> I acknowlege this would probably require a fair amount of extra work for Adobe...

although it's interesting to see how many converters are based on the DCRAW which I believe is a one-person shop.  Hmmm.... who will be first DCRAW or ACR to support S95?

• 18. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                            The Real Boss 2010

I have to admit that I don't know if I am fooling myself, but I like my solution. I copy from the S95 to a directory and then open the files inCanon's own Digital Photo professional.  Then you can process if you want to or just use the converter under the file menu to change them to Tiff files at a  dpi of something close to 300. This creates a 16 bit Tiff file of almost 50Megs. That sounds ridiculous, I know so if you don't like 50, use something less that 300 dpi.  But in any case, create a big file and when you work with it in Photoshop you will have textures and detail you have never seen before. I have made 11 by 17 enlargements that are stunning.

Next subject is the HDR. It creats a JPEG composite I don't want JPEGS so use the multiple exposure option and push the disp button and choose how large an exposure spread you want and get three picture in one blast in RAW then use HDR options in Photoshop or HDR Software to get a better HDR.  However, I used the S95 HDR and got a terriffic fall color 11 by 17 with amazing detail.   What is going on with camera.  Why is it so good?

• 19. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                              walt1954

It is now laet April of 2011, I have Photoshop CS5 v12 and I can verify that Photoshop STILL does not recognize CR2 files from Canon's s95. I realize Adobe is slow to update for specific camers, but this is ridiculous. When will there be an update? Does Adobe care about its users?

• 20. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                                areohbee Level 6

Are you sure you have the latest version of ACR installed?

• 21. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

walt1954 wrote:

It is now laet April of 2011, I have Photoshop CS5 v12 and I can verify that Photoshop STILL does not recognize CR2 files from Canon's s95.

Uh...you might want to learn how to update Camera Raw since version 6.3 released last December supports the Canon S95. You need to update bud.

walt1954 wrote:

Does Adobe care about its users?

Yes...but it's up to the users to help themselves by updating...

• 22. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

I'll go out on a limb here and guess, by the way that he's worded his post, that walt1954 believes his version of Photoshop is (or has kept itself) up to date.  Perhaps he thinks the copy of Photoshop he's just downloaded from Adobe's site is already up to date.  We know there can be problems with all these things.

Walt, go into Photoshop and choose Help - About Plug-in - Camera Raw.  Does it say 6.3.0.79?  If not, then you don't have the latest released version.  You can download and install it from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4917

-Noel

• 23. Re: Canon S95 CR2 raw files not recognized
                                                      areohbee Level 6

Noel Carboni wrote:

I'll go out on a limb here...

That's a pretty short and stiff limb you're going out on ;-}

Begging the question: why did the OP's Photoshop not notify him/her that ACR was not up-to-date? Or did it, but OP ignored the "warning"...?

(assuming this is not some strange bug...)