9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 6:25 AM by Ibzrob

Colour different in rendered video

Ibzrob

HI,

I am using Elements v7 - I've adjusted the brightness, contrast and colours so that the video looks correct in the video playback window. However when I output the video as a Windows Media file the colours are not as displayed in the playback window, they are noticeably over saturated with a yellow hue.

Has anyone experienced this, any clues as to what I am doin wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

• 1. Re: Colour different in rendered video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rob,

I have not, but then use a pretty low-compression WMV setting.

First thought would be that the compression is loosing a lot of the detail. Some settings for WMV can compress very strongly, and one looses a lot of data. What settings are you using?

Next, where are you viewing the resulting WMV files? If in WMP, maybe try in VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC. Both are free, and I find them to be much better, than WMP.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Colour different in rendered video
            Ibzrob Level 1

Many thanks for the reply.

As sggested I thought I would download and try VLC player as I normally use WMP. Now this is very weird because when I open the rendered file in VLC I still see the over saturated colours. However if I open the same file in WMP to compare the colour are now displaying fine in WMP! It would seem that if I open the file in a second player the colours are fine.

This it would seem is an issue with my display adapter isn't it?

Rob.

• 3. Re: Colour different in rendered video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rob,

That would be my next thing to check too.

What video card do you have? What is the version/date of the driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Colour different in rendered video
                Ibzrob Level 1

I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 - embedded graphics on my Dell laptop.

Rob.

• 5. Re: Colour different in rendered video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure it that uses a proprietary driver from Dell, or if the ATI Catalyst driver will install. I'd first check with Dell, as they are pretty good at updating drivers, unlike Toshiba, and some others. I'd also compare any Dell driver with the latest for that chip from ATI.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Colour different in rendered video
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have we established what type of camcorder the original footage came from and how it was captured to the computer?

It's quite possible the color shift is related to it being a non-traditional video format (ie, something other than miniDV, HDV or AVCHD).

• 7. Re: Colour different in rendered video
                      Ibzrob Level 1

Thanks Steve - the footage cam from a JVC Everio camcorder. The file is in .MOI format, I then converted it to MPEG using Streamclip before dropping it into Premiere Elements.

Thanks,

Rob.

• 8. Re: Colour different in rendered video
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you seen Bill Hunt's discussion of Everio MODs in our Tips & Tricks forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990?tstart=0

MODs are definitely a strange creature. Some people seem to be able to work with them simply by changing their suffix to MPEG. Others need to convert the files. Others, like you, convert and still have issues. They're definitely an example of the "Your mileage may vary" concept.

BTW, did you Everio come with Power Director software? If so, the FAQs to the right of this forum offer another solution.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428054?tstart=0

• 9. Re: Colour different in rendered video
                          Ibzrob Level 1

Yes I had tead those FAQ articles regarding the MOI file format. I've owned an Everio models for 3 years now so I am well versed in any conversion required to make them work in Premiere Elements. I am pretty sure the problem is related to my graphics adapter, because as previously mentioned a second instance of a player renders the colours correctly. I had not noticed this problem on my desktop but I do not have access to this at the moment so can't test.

That is exciting news regarding the native support in CS5 though! It is a ain having to convert files and the playback preview video can be painful to use with serveral frames dropped not to mention having to remove the ImporterFastMPEG file from the plugins directory in order to avoid the green pixel problem!

Rob.