20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 4:41 PM by Djinn2521

Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video

Djinn2521 Level 1

I finally finished my video project, but I'm unable to create a DVD image.  As soon as I click the requisite buttons, my system crashes to a page fault/BSOD, dumps the memory, and reboots.

My system is a Dell Studio XPS with an i7 processor, 9GB of RAM, and several hundred gigs available on the scratch disk.  My OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.  I've already tried diabling antivirus, and terminating all easily-stoppable programs.  I've also uninstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 8, and then re-installed the software and the 8.01 patch.  I've also run several memory tests, and everything checks out just fine.

For what it's worth, I'm linking a two-minute YouTube video of my process, including the crash at the end. I'd really like to complete this project, so any help would be most appreciated.  This is a 100% repeatable error.  As soon as I click on "Disc" under the share menu, my whole system craps out (1:35 in the video).

Please, please help!

• 1. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is almost always due to hardware issues. The things to look for and test are:

1.) Heat

2.) RAM going bad

3.) PSU either underpowered, hooked up incorrectly or going bad

4.) MoBo going out

This ARTICLE will give you links to some tools, that should be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If all hardware tests out fine, the PSU is adequately sized, and functioning with proper connections, then you might want to look into the crashes from a software perspective. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
              Djinn2521 Level 1

I'm not convinced it's heat, RAM, the PSU, or the motherboard...  I use a lot of applications, many of which strain the system considerably, and encounter no problems.  Besides, at the moment I click the "Disc" button, nothing is being rendered, and the "strain" on the system is minimal.  This crash always occurs the instant I click the button (as depicted in the video.)

Per the recommendation in the article you linked, here is the crash report from Event Viewer:

============================================

The program Adobe Premiere Elements.exe version 8.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 252c
              Start Time: 01cb52972ee0623e
              Termination Time: 22
              Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe
              Report Id: d9cff3a8-be8b-11df-a771-0025648ceeba

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Application Hang
                 - EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers]  0
                  Level 2
                  Task 101
                  Keywords 0x80000000000000
                 - TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2010-09-12T16:36:17.000000000Z
                  EventRecordID 29901
                  Channel Application
                  Computer i7-PC
                  Security 

- EventData

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe
                 252c
                 01cb52972ee0623e
                 C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe
                 d9cff3a8-be8b-11df-a771-0025648ceeba
                 55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
              0008: 0000   

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00   U.n.k.n.
              0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00   o.w.n...
              0010: 00 00                     ..

• 4. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                Djinn2521 Level 1

By the way, the article you linked contains the following:

"After you’ve done this, go to this link, THE CASE OF THE UNEXPLAINED, and watch the MS video. It’s a bit long and does get technical, but... "

The "case of the unexplained" link is invalid.

• 5. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Try THIS LINK. Seems that MS has moved things about, since I did that article. Thanks for pointing that dead link out to me. I'll get that new link posted.

Also, an app. hang will not usually yield a BSOD. When you encountered that, there should have been several warning and error messages in Event Viewer. Hopefully, some will have links that need to be followed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                    Djinn2521 Level 1

No dice... I've reviewed all sections of the event viewer (not just the one in the screenshot)...  Nothing out-of-the-ordinary is being logged at the time of the BSOD, other than error reports (which directly reference Adobe Premiere), and subsequent entries that describe various subsystems shutting down after the BSOD.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2j5l5y.png

• 7. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Were there any links in either of those two error messages, the one highlighted, or the one 11 mins. before?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                        Djinn2521 Level 1

Yes, but they weren't terribly useful:

Error from 12:25:44 - http://tinyurl.com/27bp8l4

Error from 12:36:17 - http://tinyurl.com/258j2ax

• 9. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Did SystemEssentials offer any additional info?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I also find the tips in this ARTICLE useful for setting up an editing session. With Win7, look down-thread for the link to Black Viper's Win7 tune-up page. Usually, program/process conflicts will result in memory address errors, and not that often a BSOD. Still, there could be memory conflicts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                              Djinn2521 Level 1

The SystemEssentials yielded nothing that I could use.  I'll continue looking thorugh  Black Viper's page, but his strategy is best suited for those with hours (or days) to burn with trial-and-error, rather than addressing a specific problem based on symptoms.  In my case, it's pretty clear that clicking the "Disc" button in the APE8 interface is causing the problem.  I click that button; the system crashes.  I have the BSOD data, Event Log records and Minidump records, and I can reproduce the problem in precisely the same way with each attempt.

I'd like to identify whatever is clashing with the "Disc" button functionality while keeping the random-attempts to a minimum.  I'm concerned that too much random guesswork could result in inadvertently destabilizing the rest of my computer.  I'm not averse to taking some risks, but if I'm going to do so, I'd like to have some reason to believe that the risks are worthwhile.

• 12. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                nealeh Level 5

I've made some suggestions in this similar discussion that may apply in your case: Re: Premier Elements 7

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                  Djinn2521 Level 1

I'll try them out; thanks.  For what it's worth, I have no intention of asking APE8 to do the burning... I just want to export the DVD volumes to my hard drive, and then I plan to use my own software to handle the burning.

I also just sent a PM to the author of the OP in the other thread, asking if he ever found a solution or workaround.

Update - Tried using the BCDEDIT to allow APE8 access to more memory per this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/389457

No effect on problem.

• 14. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I just want to export the DVD volumes to my hard drive, and then I plan to use my own software to handle the burning.

BTW - which software is that, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                      Djinn2521 Level 1

I use a piece of freeware called CDBurnerXP for all my burning needs.  Besides cost, it's also free of bloatware.

• 16. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                        Djinn2521 Level 1

A person on another forum offered to look through my Windows 7 "minidump" files.  These are relatively small files created with each crash, and they may contain information directly related to the crash.

He said he found what appeared to be a conflict with a "Sonic Solutions" driver that is a part of Roxio's media-burning suites.  Since I never used Roxio's software anyway, I uninstalled it and cleaned up the files and folders it left behind.  Unfortunately, this didn't resolve the problem, but I sent him the minidump of the most recent crash - hopefully he'll find another smoking gun.

• 17. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, Sonic modules are everywhere. They hold the patents on DVD authoring, so Adobe, Nero and Roxio use parts of the Sonic AuthorCorre. Sonic's AuthorCore is modular (even up through their US$50,000 Scenarist program). Other companies license various modules, and usually run those via an abstraction layer, what we see in the PrE authoring phase, in Adobe Encore, and in most other authoring programs. Each authoring program that you have probably has some Sonic modules in them.

If one is having an issue with a Sonic module from PrE, it is most likely corruption in the installation. Normally, these modules are very stable (though their error reporting is the butt of many, many bad jokes!). We I experiencing issues, my first action would be to completely uninstall PrE, run a Registry Cleaner, like CCleaner (take advantage of the Registry backup function), and then a complete reinstall and update.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                            Djinn2521 Level 1

I've made some headway.  The guy who analyzed my minidump files said that the problem was clearly related to the Sonic drivers, and he gave me reasonably simple removal instructions:

1. Create  a backup of your registry. Refer here for  how to do so.

2. Download ImgBurn (freeware).

3. Start  ImgBurn and go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order...

4. Select  "SiRemFil" & "PxHlpa64". Click Remove Selected Filter. Click  OK.

5. Reboot.

After doing this (for PxHlpa64; the other wasn't listed), I tried again, and I did NOT get the BSOD, and was able to use the interface controls. (!)

However, after setting the options to burn the image to my hard drive, I got the following error:

The ordinal 449179364 could not be located in the  dynamic link library WINMM.dll.

This is quickly followed by a "transcoder error,"  followed by a program crash (not a BSOD).  This error does not appear to dump  anything in the minidump folder.  Google isn't helping much with this error.  Any ideas?
                                            • 19. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                              Adobe1981 Level 1

Any additional luck?

I am still having similar issues as you are.

• 20. Re: Premiere 8 crashes (BSOD) when I try to render video
                                                Djinn2521 Level 1

Well, I was able to resolve the BSOD error using the steps described a post or two ago.

Once I used SuperC (freeware) to bulk-process all of my videos, I was able to get rid of the WINMM.DLL error.

However, I have not been able to avoid transcode errors each time I render... I'm pursuing this here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/721181