22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 11:37 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 7

Adobe1981 Level 1

Confused, getting different information on the internet.

Is Premier Elements 7 compatable with Windows 7 64 bit?

I get everything to work just fine until I go and try to Share --> Disk and then I get the lovely Blue Screen of Death.

When I go to Miscrosfts compatablitity webpage it says it is compatable.

I need to burn this move ASAP and trying to figure out if I need to go spend more money now to get PE 8 now...ugh.

So upset...

And if I upgrade to PE 8, how do I know it's not going to give me the same issue?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 7
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What compatibility settings did you use with the run command? (associated with the run Icon)

Are you running as Administrator?

If you have Win7 Pro, read A fix via Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 7
            Adobe1981 Level 1

Not sure what compantability settins are...as I am with the run icon.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to see some of the suggestions in this THREAD. A BSOD is not a small matter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 7
                nealeh Level 5

Yes it is compatible. I run PRE7 on a 4GB W7-64 with no problems at all as an ordinary user with administrator rights. I do not have to run it AS administrator. Does your BSOD occur WHEN you click Disc on the Share Tab, OR when you click' Burn'? If it is the latter then use the drop-down and burn the project to a file. If that works, then I suggest you look to see if there is a new firmware for your burner.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 7
                  Adobe1981 Level 1

I get the error when I click Disk on the Share Tab.

Today is not a good day.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 7

>Not sure what compantability settins are

You might look around at Microsoft to see what they have for Win7 tutorials... or buy a Win7 "how to" book

You might go to http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US and search for "something like"

windows 7 compatibility setting

When you run an "old" program under Win7 there is a place where you may TELL Win7 to run the program in some "earlier" compatibility mode... this MAY be if you go to the Icon for the program and RIGHT click and then select properties (I don't know exactly where, since I don't have your problem and have never had to look for this setting in Win7)

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 7
                      nealeh Level 5

Do you have Nero or Roxio installed? If so check 'Uninstall a program' for a component named 'InCD' for Nero, or Drag-2-Disk for Roxio. These are packet writing components that lets your OS treat a Re-Writable CD or DVD as another Read/Write disk. These are a definite no-no for PRE. If you find one uninstall it and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 7
                        Adobe1981 Level 1

Ok, so I went and just bought version 8 because, I just don't have time to deal with this...need to get this done tonight.

But now everytime I do anything the whole program crashes.  Lovely....

I know, you guys are going to need a lot more stuff to determine what my issues.  I need to go figure on some of the previouse posts what details you need but in the meantime if you can offer any help.

I also put it in windows XP compatability mode and it still crashed.

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 7
                          nealeh Level 5

Bad move. If you can't get it working in PRE7 it will almost certainly not work in PRE8 - it is far more demanding of a system (don't forget the thirty day money-back guarantee). Looking through the posts we don't seem to have confirmed the basics with you yet:

Some basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Check you have the latest firmware for your burner.
                          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                          • Run Disk Cleanup.
                          • Run Defragmenter.
                          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
                          • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
                          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

There's no need to go down the compatibility settings road - PRE7 (as I said earlier) works perfectly well on W7-64 from a standard install.

It's getting late over here (England) so I'm signing off. Follow the basics and I hope you can then get your project complete.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Premier Elements 7

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
                            Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 7
                              Adobe1981 Level 1

Here some answers:

Dell Studio XPS 8100

Intel Core i5 CUP

650 @ 3.20 GHz

NVIDIA GEForce GT220

HDD: SATA 7200 RPM

732 GB Free

Virtual Memory Total Page File size 8119 MG

PSE 8.01

Windows 7 Hom Primium + All updates

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                Adobe1981 Level 1

I get the Blue Screen of death again when I click Share --> Disk.

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                  Adobe1981 Level 1

don't forget the thirty day money-back guarantee -- I checked Adobe's webstie and wansn't able to find anything about a 30 day money back guarantee...Can you provide me with a link by chance?  Though I still have this issue in  7 and 8 so even if I am able to return it I still have a problem that I need to figure out.

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 7

>HDD: SATA 7200 RPM

I don't know if this is the "big" cause of your problem, but only having one hard drive is not going to work for video editing

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                                    - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                                    - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                                    - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                      Adobe1981 Level 1

2 Hard drives?  My old PC running windows XP only had 1 hard drive...

• 16. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                        Adobe1981 Level 1

Ok, so I removed my Menu at the begining and tried again and I did not get the BSOD but once I selec

t to burn to file I get the following: The Ordinal 369815268 could not be located in the dynamic link l

ibrary WINMM.DLL and then the program shuts down.

I am in the process of reinstalling everything again...

Noticed a message at the bottom of my PE 8 window that reads:

Display performance will be poor due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver!

• 17. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This would be a very good time to update your video driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                            Adobe1981 Level 1

Yep, on top of that Bill.  Updated the drivers last night (said I had it was up-to-date) and still having the same problems.

• 19. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you update from the mfgr's. Web site? The reason that I ask is Windows driver updating is usually about 5 versions behind, and so is the updating services provided by many utilities, like Oil Change, and others. Both nVidia and ATI usually have new drivers released monthly, or more often, if they either have issues, or if MS offers a bunch of updates and hot-fixes, as those can render a video driver obsolete in seconds.

Just curious,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                                Adobe1981 Level 1

Hunt, thanks for following up.  No, I did not update on the mfgr's website.

Going to take it into Best Buy as my husband talked them into looking at my PC as a courtesy for us.  I will report back their findings.

Thanks for everyone help, keeping my fingers crossed I figure this stuff out.

• 21. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                                  Adobe1981 Level 1

So best buy is going to do a trade on my PC.  Guess I was lucky enough to only have the machine for 12 days and they can do an exchange (though I am going from a Dell to an HP as the model I had is now discontinued (lovely).  The Geek Squad is going to install Premier Elements for me and give it a try and see if they run into any problems.  I am keeping my fingers crossed everything works out and I don't have to open up another post.

Still kicking myself that I bought new software that I didn't need.  What was that 30 day money back garuantee anway?  Can you link me to more info as I wasn't able to come across anything when searching the web.

• 22. Re: Premier Elements 7
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You can contact Adobe Customer Support (link at the top of the forum page), and can return PrE within 30 days of purchase for your money back.

When the Geek Squad finishes with your computer, I would still go to the Web site for both the video and the audio driver. Most shops have a driver disc, and those are often months old. That is the same with the video card's install disc. Given the schedule of release of new drivers, any disc will be out-of-date.

Good luck,

Hunt