13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 6:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio does not play on its own

expeditionwest Level 1

I have two clips, one is a video of an inauguration event, the second is an audio clip (WMA) that is the actual sound track for the inauguration.

Some of the audio will precede the video, then the video will fade in and the two are synched.

Strangely enough, the audio will not play on it's own, but when the video fades in, the audio plays (synched) as desired.

Poking around the many attributes and filters, I can't find anything to correct this situation.

Any help?

BILL? Where are you oh answer guru - I need to tap into your vast experiences yet again.

expeditionwest

• 1. Re: Audio does not play on its own
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Because WMA files can contain several different types of streams, I would convert this/these to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit and just replace the WMA.

How does that work?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio does not play on its own
            expeditionwest Level 1

Bill -

I know I've said this before, but these WMA files have always worked in Pro 1.5. Are we thinking that maybe this is yet another feature they've knocked out?  My sound equipment only records to WMA, so now I'm (I hope not) adding yet ANOTHER chore to editing?  Ouch, I thought CS5 would have the 'ease of editing' they tout in their ads. I'm finding more and more that this 'ease' is becoming a 'chore' as I progress into the learning curve of CS5.

expeditionwest

• 3. Re: Audio does not play on its own
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The suggestion to convert to PCM/WAV is a test, to see if the problem goes away.

If it does, then it might be something as simple as a setting in PrPro's CS5 Audio Hardware settings, or perhaps an ASIO driver, that is not working properly. Obviously, you are on a new machine, so things will have changed from when PrPro 1.5 was running, even something as simple as updating the OS to a 64-bit version. It could well be that just some setting changes will get the capability back - if the WAV files work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                expeditionwest Level 1

Funny thing I noticed. Now, if it is in line with an existing video file, it will play fine, even if the video stops and it's just the WMA audio.

But it won't start on it's own until a video file lines up with it.

Before I convert it, hopefully in Soundbooth, I'll play with it a bit more and let you know what I've found.

Thanks again for the tip Bill - I'll keep us advised on the progress of this WMA issue.

expeditionwest

• 5. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That alignment thing doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I am forming the wrong mental picture. The only thing that comes to mind would be some Track Keyframes added to the Audio Track, with the WMA files. You didn't add any automation with Audio Mixer, at any time, did you? Maybe I am just missing something obvious to all others... ?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                    expeditionwest Level 1

Makes no sense to me either.

OK, until I can post graphics here, I'll draw a word picture for ya (I hope).

Take the timeline.

I've put my Video Clip (no audio attached) at 00:03:00, three seconds into the track. Nothing ahead of it.

I've put my Audio Clip (no video attached) at 00:00:15, about a half second into the track. Nothing ahead of it.

I play the timeline. I hear nothing, even though the TLM (timeline marker) has passed the 00:00:15 mark. It will start playing when it reaches the 00:03:00 point (where the video starts). It continues playing even past where the video ends (10 seconds, ending at 00:13:00).

I've experimented by putting the audio tracks in various places on the timeline, same results.

[-----------------------------------------VIDEO TRACK STARTS----------------------------------VIDEO TRACK ENDS]

[----------AUDIO TRACK STARTS----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------AUDIO TRACK ENDS]

(cant hear AUDIO until here >|-------------------------------------------Audio track plays fine even after the Video track ends ---------------------------]

That draw up a good picture?

expeditionwest

• 7. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, that is what I painted in my mind. If there is an Audio stream in that little section, before it is "covered" by the Video, it should play, regardless.

Do you see a Waveform, in that section, prior to where the Video begins?

In Audio Mixer, play the Timeline from the very beginning, 00;00;00;00, and watch two things: the sliders for that Audio Track, and also the Levels Meter for that Audio Track. Do you see the slider move? Do you see Audio Levels display, but just do not hear it?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                        expeditionwest Level 1

To answer your questions, YES, YES, YES.

It plays fine, full audio in the audio window. By all rights, it's a good file. Just weirds out when put on a timeline without any video aligned.

Fortunately, I have plenty of B-ROLL to patch it up, but soon, when I need to cut my first episode of our film series, this issue will need to be resolved.

(BTW, our funding is getting up to snuff, we'll be starting our series soon...check us out  WWW.EXPWEST.COM)

Thanks Bill

• 9. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is odd behavior.

One more test, if you have a moment. What happens if you put synthetic Video, either Black Video, or Transparent Video above the WMA file? Same thing, or does it now work?

Good luck, and glad that the funding fell into place! In this day and age, it's always a good thing.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I you just double click the wma in the project bin (so it opens in a source monitor), can you hear it?

If you will post a short clip (I guess that's all you're using right?!), I'll check it in CS5.

• 11. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley! You have moved up to CS5? I guess that only leaves me... maybe soon, as I have the suite just burning a hole in my desk. Just gotta' get the new box.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, my CS3 computer developed some serious problems, so I jumped for the lowest cost option I could in an i7.  I've had CS4 and CS5 for a bit.  I installed CS4 (with CS3) on the older machine (which works except for drive issues that prevent serious production editing).  CS5 is all by itself on the new i7.  Very sweet.

• 13. Re: Audio does not play on its own
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I looked for a "green with envy" smiley, but did not find one that would work.

Fired off an e-mail to my builder, so hope that when we return from a lot of travel, he'll have some specs. and prices for the new machine. Then, I will join your ranks. Until then - lots of reading on CS5 is ahead. I think that I will take my CiaB CS5 on the plane.

Hunt