1 2 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 11:31 PM by Vinz112011

CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash

EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Updated to Premiere 5.0.2 and Media Encoder 5.0.1 - when I export (inside Premiere as well as sending to Media Encoder, Premiere/Media Encoder freezes up and I get a Windows message to say that the Graphics driver has crashed and it has successfully recovered.  Reverted back to Premiere 5.0.1 and can successfully export without issues. Anyone experiencing similar problems?  I have latest WHQL release Nvidia driver which has not given any hassles.

• 1. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
          milkykaush

Hmmm I've had a similar problem on my new HP laptop on a very infrequent occasion, but never whilst in Premiere or Media Encoder.... I have an Nvidia GT 230M that I hacked to enable CUDA acceleration and have the latest drivers from Nvidia too but never really pinned down what has caused this driver crash.

It's not happened to me in a while but if you also could confirm that you are using an "unsupported" Nvidia card that you have also hacked to work with PPR then there may be a pattern there, exposing a side-effect of the not having one of Adobe's listed Pro cards?

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• 2. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
            EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I am using a non-MPE card, Nvidia GTS 250 - that

was my first thought - the consequences of workarounds perhaps. Just

wondering how many others are having a similar problem.

• 3. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
              milkykaush Level 1

Ah so there is a possible pattern to this then... well, oddly I haven't experienced something like this yet since updating so it may be affecting different cards umm differently?

As I stated though, this has not occurred whilst using CS5 as of yet but I will do some test exports now for your benefit to see if I can make my system twitch!

• 4. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                milkykaush Level 1

Ok, so I just did an encode of a 1 min R3D 4k file with effects and CUDA acceleration enabled for upload to CS Review and it all worked fine!

Hope you find a solution to the problem whilst using Premiere - maybe reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver could work?

Good luck!

• 5. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                  EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Thanks for the effort, really appreciate it.  Have re-installed the latest

Nvidia driver, but situation did not change.  In the meantime gone back to

Premiere 5.0.1.  Will report back here if I find the root cause.

• 6. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                    {KMS} Level 2

Does your error message look like this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1426292/share/PPRO_5.02_GPU_Crash_01.JPG

I have the same graphics card (GTS 250) and I have had some problem as well.

Here is a thread that I started when I found issue related to the GPU and large image files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/673072?tstart=0

Here is another thread that I have been contributing to...the person that started the thread has the same graphic card as well: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3102758

I had mixed results from the update to 5.02, but the cons out weigh the pros when the hack is considered.  So, I have since decided to wait until I can afford a supported card...hoping that will help.  Below is what I posted on the last forum that I provided the link to.  It illustrates my results with the update and different drivers.  I would love to figure out how to make the GTS 250 reliable, please post any new findings that might be helpful.  Thank you.

Quote:

I have found problems with the Nvidia driver 258.? on my machine.  While I did gain some marginal ability to work with larger images using the GPU, I started to get frequent OpenGL error messages and crashing in After Effects with the updated driver, so I have reverted back to version 197.? and all seems to be well again.

It makes me worry using the "hack" on video jobs.  The hack is fun to play with to see how well the playback can be using the GPU, but I don't want to work on time sensitive material always wondering if something I add to the timeline will cause it to crash, or worse, corrupt a project file.  For me, I don't think the benefits out weigh the downside of the "hack".

I have considered using the "hack" on video only projects, but I don't know if the problems will eventually turn up on long projects or not.  Most of my most recent projects have been fairly short.  I do realize that my large images  that have causing the crashes are huge (approx. 4300 x 2800), but in software only mode they are not a problem at all...really smooth.  If I had more time, I would fine the maximum image size that I could work with without causing my system to crash, but I don't have that much time to play with it.  It seems that the smaller the image, the longer it takes to make it crash, but eventually, I can always make it crash.  So, I wonder if any image size could be a problem, but it just takes longer for the crash to occur?

I really wish that someone with a supported card would try some large images and run it through some testing.  Once I get a supported card, my large images will be my first test.  If it crashes with a supported card, I'm not going to be real happy.  Some have suggested the problem may be the amount of RAM on my GTS 250, but my card has 1GB, which is about how much many of the supported cards have.

I am wondering if the GTS 250 just doesn't have enough muscle to work with the images?  Anyone with a supported card want to give it a go?  The time would be greatly appreciated.

• 7. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                      EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Thanks for the screenshot and link to your other post on the same issue, was

helpful, I still need to try and use still images to try and recreate your

error on my side as well.  But it is not the error I get.  My error appears

as a balloon popup at the bottom right tray icons, stating that the Graphics

Driver has crashed but has recovered.  At that stage Premiere/Media Encoder

is frozen and I generally have to kill the application.  Note that my

problem came from export and not rendering.  I am also using the 258.96

graphics driver.  Have gone back to 5.0.1 in order to get work done.  When I

am able to install 5.0.2 update again I will screenshot the error and give

more detailed feedback, will also try an install the 197.13 graphics driver

again with 5.0.2 and see if that helps.

• 8. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

There is a new beta nVidia GeForce driver out today (260.63); you can get them here. I haven't tried them, myself, but might be worth a shot, especially if you're going to be rolling back drivers anyway.

• 9. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                          dradeke Adobe Employee

If the GTS-250 only has 512MB, you are not going to see any real benefit from the card.  You really  need at least 768MB of memory to be able to take advantage of the GPU in Premiere Pro.

Dennis

• 10. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                            {KMS} Level 2

Dennis,

My GTS 250 has 1GB of RAM.  I have tested my graphics card out a lot using GPU accelerated effects and it is amazing how well a lower end card can help out.  However, I have found that there are problems with image files that make it not worth using for everyday production...I don't know if it is related to using an unsupported GPU or just the GPU in general.  I don't know when I will be able to get a supported card, but as soon as I do I will run it through some test.  I hope the problems that I see are related to my specific card and not the mercury playback engine.

I assume that most people using the hack are not using large images or creating long form projects...but I don't really know.  Just my thought.

Kevin

• 11. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                              {KMS} Level 2

EchoMotionMedia,

I have had problems exporting as well.  Prior to the update, large images would make my machine lock up too.  It would eventually snap out of it (never had the message in the system tray though), but large images would never export.  Now they will export with the update and things have been a little better...but I can always make it crash using the GPU with enough adjusting of assets on the timeline.  Looking forward to hearing if you discover anything new.

Kevin

• 12. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

This was the download if you can make it work ?

259.12-Quadro-win7-winvista-64bit-english  (Application  105,853 kb)

This link may help, I don't think it has anything to do with CS5 Premiere Pro but, it does effect Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, and the error message comes up and then it rectifies itself automatically. after downloading 259.12 the error mesage has gone. but it is in i7 & and in my case NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 working Premiere Pro 1.5.1, this program is amazingly fast now with the i7 Quad Core and Quadro Video card, where an update , download got rid of the problem.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1hoUHNR2xw

http://http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=nvidia+display+driver+has+stopped+respo nding+and+has+successfully+recovered&aq=2&aqi=g3&aql=&oq=nvidia+display+driver+has+stopped +responding+and+&gs_rfai=&fp=b545e372fc7a2f99

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

• 13. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                  EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Had some time to update to 5.0.2 again and found the following.  I  exported a timeline as Mpeg-2 DVD preset and Premiere crashed while  exporting (display driver crash balloon comes up in the windows tray).   Then I restarted Premiere, exported the same timeline as a Cineform HD  avi...no crash, everything fine.  Then tried to export the same timeline  as MPEG-2 DVD again...crash.   Exported same timeline as H.264 same as source AND PAL DV Widescreen - no crash.  Mmmmm.... just thought I'd share my  findings so far...

• 14. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                    DudyMix Level 1

I get exactly the same problem with 5.0.2 and Quadro fx 3800.

I'll try reverting back.

• 15. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                      DudyMix Level 1

Actually switching MPE to software only did the trick making it a little redundant.

Latest nvidia driver used.

• 16. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                        EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Thats what I've been doing - defeats the purpose though.

• 17. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                          DudyMix Level 1

Yes completely! Are you getting decent improvements using 5.0.1 and hardware?

• 18. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                            EchoMotionMedia Level 1

I have no issues with that combination, that's why i reverted back but the

bloating project files is a bit of a problem in 5.0.1.

• 19. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                              Alan Craven Level 4

I am getting this loss of control followed by regaining control by the graphics driver too.  It tends to occur when I am trying to shift a large chunk of timeline to insert a new clip, and in other similar heavy lifting situations.  After the driver recovers, the monitor image is "star-spangled" until I re-boot.

I have used a GTS250 card from the outset, and did not meet the problem until I upgraded to 5.0.2.  I have tried both the latest drivers, but have reverted to 197.45, as I think the problem occurs less often then.

Is this specific to the GTS250 card, I wonder?   If it is general with non-approved cards, would it be excessively cynical to wonder if it might just be deliberate?  Such a policy would certainly please NVidia!

• 20. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                EchoMotionMedia Level 1

Someone reported it with an FX3800 too, so does not seem card specific.

Revert back to 5.0.1 and you're fine until 5.0.3 fixes this hopefully.

• 21. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                  {KMS} Level 2

I am disappointed to here that it happens on a FX 3800 as well.  I am running a GTS 250 and I get the same error message and display errors when working with large images (approx. 3800 x 2400 pixels).  I thought it might be specific to the GTS 250 since it seems like I have seen a lot of post regarding that specific card.  I am currently running 5.02 and I have tried a number of different graphic card drivers, but nothing is making a significant difference.

I am considering buying a GTX 470, but I am a little concerned that the problems will not go away.  It sounds like it may be a Mercury Playback Engine problem in general.  I will not be real happy if I upgrade my card to find the same performance.  I may have to wait for another PPRO update to see if things improve.  I know that the MPE works well with video, but I wonder if it is too new to be optimized for large workloads (large images etc.).

If anyone with a GTX470 or other supported card would be willing to test a project file with large images, I would be happy to upload a project.  I really want to know if the problem is related to my card or MPE in general.  Thanks.

Kevin Snyder

• 22. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                    SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Please share with me any projects that cause problems with MPE GPU acceleration and we can work on getting the issues resolved.

• 23. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                      DudyMix Level 1

After a little more digging looks like it's caused with image streams.

I have a project file and image stream ready but not sure what the best way to get it to you is? (623kb only)

• 24. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                        {KMS} Level 2

Here is a simple project that I created to get PPRO to crash due to the GPU every time I export the timeline.  The timeline will render out without a single problem in "Software Mode", but I have not exported the timeline successfully with the GPU yet.  The project is composed of just a few large still images animated with position, scale, and rotation along with a few GPU accelerated filters applied.  To reproduce the crash, export the timeline using theH.264 HDTV 1080p @ 29.97 High Quality preset (I have been deselecting "Export Audio", but I don't think it really matters).  I have also included my system information from the Nvidia control panel for further analysis.  I am open to anyone downloading the file and giving it a go.  I would love to see people with a few different cards (supported and unsupported) to see how it performs.  I am on the fence buying a GTX 470, but I want to make sure it will improve my performance.

Steve, please let me know if you need more information.  I am happy to help out as much as I can to solve this.  Thank you for your time.

Kevin Snyder

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1426292/CUDA_Test_Large_Images.zip

• 25. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                          Alan Craven Level 4

My crashes occur with a simple HDV timeline - a single video track with ca. 200 .mpeg files, no stills, no titles: only the audio is complicated. The crashes started before I added the audio layers.  One common factor is that the crash does not occur till I have been editing for a couple of hours or so.

• 26. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                            {KMS} Level 2

Just another piece of information that I discovered.  If I delete the keyframes for just the scale property of the images and reset the scale value to 100%, the timeline will export with the GPU.  If the images are anything other than 100%, the export crashes.

There is one problem with the exported video using the GPU.  The exported video plays back really choppy (especially in the cross dissolves).  Using "Software Only" mode creates a video file that plays back smooth all the way through.

Kevin

• 27. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                              Alan Craven Level 4

This problem is not confined to Premiere CS5:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2987437

The thread in this link offers a suggested solution, which requires a registry hack.

• 28. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                lchapman66 Level 1

I'm having this exact issue with a GTX 460.  Just supplying information.  Update to latest

Nvidia drivers (260.99) did not help.

• 29. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                  lchapman66 Level 1

After much experimentation I decided my issue was h/w.  I fixed it by removing the graphics card,

blowing all the dust from fans, baords, etc. and re-seating the card.  The Furmark benchmark now

runs fine as does AE using OpenGl and Pr using MPE.

Hopefully, this is a permanent fix (I'm not too optimisitc).

• 30. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                    {KMS} Level 2

lchapman66,

I was wondering if you would be willing to give my project file a go using MPE in PPRO?  Here is post from this thread explaining my problem with MPE.

Quote:

Here is a simple project that I created to get PPRO to crash due to the GPU every time I export the timeline.  The timeline will render out without a single problem in "Software Mode", but I have not exported the timeline successfully with the GPU yet.  The project is composed of just a few large still images animated with position, scale, and rotation along with a few GPU accelerated filters applied.  To reproduce the crash, export the timeline using theH.264 HDTV 1080p @ 29.97 High Quality preset (I have been deselecting "Export Audio", but I don't think it really matters).  I have also included my system information from the Nvidia control panel for further analysis.  I am open to anyone downloading the file and giving it a go.  I would love to see people with a few different cards (supported and unsupported) to see how it performs.  I am on the fence buying a GTX 470, but I want to make sure it will improve my performance.

Also, I found that if I delete the keyframes for just the scale property of the images and reset the scale value to 100%, the timeline will export with the GPU.  If the images are anything other than 100%, the export crashes.

There is one problem with the exported video using the GPU.  The exported video plays back really choppy (especially in the cross dissolves).  Using "Software Only" mode creates a video file that plays back smooth all the way through.  I can post the video files if anyone would like to compare.  Thank you for your time.

Kevin Snyder

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1426292/CUDA_Test_Large_Images.zip

• 31. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                      lchapman66 Level 1

Kevin -

It worked just fine.

With MPE:        1:41

Without MPE:    11:10

I am running:

Windows-7 64-bit

Dual quad core Xeons (3.2Ghz)

16Gb RAM

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 with hack.

• 32. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                        {KMS} Level 2

lchapman66,

Thank you for taking the time to give it a try.  I gues that is whey the GTS 250 is not supported.  I have seen a number of post related to MPE with the GTS 250 it seems like...Thanks again.

Kevin

• 33. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                          DudyMix Level 1

Hi Kevin, Yes your file crashes here too:

Xeon W3550

12gb RAM

Operating System:    Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
                                                                          DirectX version:    11.0
                                                                          GPU processor:        Quadro FX 3800
                                                                          Driver version:        259.81
                                                                          CUDA Cores:        192
                                                                          Core clock:        600 MHz
                                                                          Shader clock:        1204 MHz
                                                                          Memory clock:        800 MHz (1600 MHz data rate)
                                                                          Memory interface:    256-bit
                                                                          Total available graphics memory:    4607 MB
                                                                          Dedicated video memory:    1024 MB GDDR3
                                                                          System video memory:    0 MB
                                                                          Shared system memory:    3583 MB
                                                                          Video BIOS version:    62.00.66.00.02
                                                                          IRQ:            24
                                                                          Bus:            PCI Express x16 Gen2

• 34. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                            {KMS} Level 2

DudyMix,

Thank you for testing it out for me.  I am disappointed to hear that it crashes on a supported card...guess I will wait a while before I upgrade my hardware.  I'm not convinced that I will see a change.  Thanks again.

Kevin

• 35. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                              {KMS} Level 2

lchapman66,

I was wondering if you would be willing to open the same project that I have posted, but duplicate the images on the timeline to create a longer final video file.  If you could duplicate the images on the timeline so that the timeline is about 10 to 15 minutes long, I would greatly appreciate it.  I understand if you don't have time to test it.  I am on the fence today about buying a GTX 470...the pricess are really good at newegg (sale ends today).  I am just wondering if the project will will crash if the card has to render large images for a longer amount of time.  Thanks for all of your help.

Kevin

• 36. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                                EchoMotionMedia Level 1

I've gone back to 5.0.1 and had no crashes with large images using GTS250

• 37. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                                  {KMS} Level 2

How large are the images that you are using?  Did you have crashes with large images with 5.02?  I have been trying every graphics driver and export settings, but large images make my machine crash.  Thanks.

• 38. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                                    lchapman66 Level 1

Kevin -

I duped the images by copy-paste into the same sequence until it reached a

total length of 14:24:26 and exported per your instructions.  No crash.  Resulting

.mp4 file looks great and is 3,378,938KB in size.

I watched the GPU load and it varied from 25% - 100% usage during the export.

• 39. Re: CS5.0.2 causing graphics driver crash
                                                                                      SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

I have been unable to reproduce the issue across a wide range of cards as well. I am still investigating.

1 2 Previous Next