2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2007 4:18 AM by Gyrfalc

Too Big for Flex?

Gyrfalc
      We have a client app that needs to get ported to a new platform. The customer is interested in a web version, so Flex is a candidate. The issue is... this thing is huge. It has 150 screens, which vary from simple crud forms with a "typical" amount of data-entry fields (imagine, say, a customer record), to complex search/results/detail screens with tabs inside of tabs and many, many controls (imagine, say, a screen listing everything about the space shuttle and then some). Roughly ten of the screens are very complex, the rest are fairly typical. "Simplifying" the app is not an option... the requirements are what they are. Data volumes are restricted by a 200-record limit on query results, so I'm not too worried about that. The question is, is it too big in terms of the number of components that will ultimately have to render in Flex? We've built a few individual pieces during our evaluation of flex, and everything performs well, but will we hit the wall before we finish?
        • 1. Re: Too Big for Flex?
          Level 7
          We've built a few individual pieces during our evaluation of flex, and
          everything performs well, but will we hit the wall before we finish?

I wouldn't think so, but you will probably cross the line where you do
          not want the entire application rendered and delivered to the client in
          one bite. I can only advise that is is possible, others will hopefully
          expand on how. But flex can be developed so that individual parts of an
          application are delivered to the client on an as-needed basis. In more
          poetic terms, your application can be separated into more easily
          digestible bites for delivery to the client.

• 2. Re: Too Big for Flex?
            Gyrfalc Level 1
            Thanks, I think we finally found the answer we need, in the Flex Developer's Guide > Flex Programming Topics > Creating Modular Applications. Here's an excerpt for those who may have a similar question:

"Modules are similar to Runtime Shared Libraries (RSLs) in that they separate code from an application into separately loaded SWF files. Modules are much more flexible than RSLs because modules can be loaded and unloaded at run time and compiled without the application.

Two common scenarios in which using modules is beneficial are a large application with different user paths and a portal application. An example of the first common scenario is an enormous insurance application that includes
            thousands of screens, for life insurance, car insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, travel insurance, and veterinary pet insurance."