9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 1:58 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD

Lanthy

Hi,

I've been a Pinnacle studio user for a long time. But I'm so dispited by the last buggy version and the poor Pinnacle support that I seriously think to change to another video editing software.

I would like to know if some of you can tell me which différences exist between the 2 products? How runs PRemiere element 8 with AVCHD files?

How efficiant is the Premiere element support?

Thanks for your informations.

Philippe

• 1. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVCHD files are a bear to work with. They are huge files, highly compressed, and virtually every program (with the possible exception of Final Cut, which uses proxy editing) is challenged by them.

Only a good quad core or i7 computer handles them even remotely well at this point. And Premiere Elements 8, which has an unfortunately inefficient engine anyway, struggles even with that kind of power behind it.

We're hoping the next version of Premiere Elements will work more efficient with this challenging files.

• 2. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD
            Lanthy Level 1

I do have a core I7 860. I did some test with the evaluation version and avchd, and it seems

to run smoothly, much much better then Studio 14.

And regarding fonctionnalities offers but Premier elt versus Studio?

• 3. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD

It's a tough comparison, since there are so many features on both programs, and each has its strengths and liabilities.

Is there a particular feature you're most interested in?

These charts may help (or thoroughly confuse) you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

Overall, Premiere Elements much more resembles a professional-style video editor, like Premiere Pro, Final Cut or the Avid.

Pinnacle Studio's emphasis is on ease of use, and so it is designed to be more consumer-friendly.

• 4. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD
                Lanthy Level 1

Thanks for your answer.

Yes it's not so easy. For what I tried, I check few différences :

Audio 5.1 exists on Pinnacle, only 2.0 on PRE

PIP is more powerfull in PRE (even if I wasn't able to have a background video track)

PRE has much more video track regarding the 2 video tracks for studio

Disk Menu editing : I was not able to fully understand how it works yet. Is it possible to create it's own disk menu based on fixe image or video?

Output seems to be quite the same, and input two.

videa organiser is different in PRE.

However, as you mentionned, usage is easier on pinnacle. But I guess it's the same for each software : once you use it a long time it seems fearly easy.

What I'm looking for far from features considération is a quite bug free software, stable and with good performances. As I said, I have a powerfull PC (Core I7 860, 8Gb Ram, Nvidia 260, fast samsung disk), however using Pinnacle 14 with such a conf is howfull and slow!

PhC

• 5. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Is it possible to create it's own disk menu based on fixe image or video?

It is possible to add your choice of static, or Motion Assets to most Menu Sets, and if one starts with the Blank Menu, they can do almost anything they want to customize that. There are some limitations, but not really THAT many.

I have not seen Pinnacle Studio, since S-10, so cannot comment on what the new version might, or might not offer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD

If you're looking for bug-free software -- well, unfortunately the nature of PC-based software is that there are so many configurations of Windows that it's impossible to make a software that works perfectly on every machine all of the time.

That's why we always recommend you download the free trial and do a test drive. What's important isn't just the software's quality -- but how that software performs on your particular machine with your particular video as source.

• 7. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD
                      Lanthy Level 1

Yes of course, when I say "bug free", I perfectly know that's PC world is not an ideal one. But I would say that there's two kind of software : those which are released with few tests, and with not a lot of support, so that using them is very frustrating. And others that have bug from time to time in spécial case, with good support, and finally a good customer satisfaction.

Unfortunately, I think Studio reach the first group with HD edition. Studio 14 is roughtly 1 year old, not even a patch to fix numerous problems encountered. For exemple, I created a HD movie, but right know I'm unable to render it because of a systeme error that no one can even tell me the reason.....nore fix it...

What's about PRE 8? I see there's a minor release to instal.  Is there a lot of bug report?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD
                        Lanthy Level 1

When you say "blank menu", how can I find it? Can I for exemple choose the number of

button for the chapter? Where can I find documentati

on on disk menu creation?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Premier Element 8 compare to Studio 14 HD

Adobe generally does not issue a lot of patches for its Elements programs. In fact, in all the generations of this program, they've only issued a total of two.

But whether or not that's good enough depends on your experience with the program.

As I say, download the free trial and see how it works for you. That's the only true way to evaluate it.