5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 4:48 PM by Ned Murphy

Newbie Q: after a blank keyframe...

Mike_Abbott Adobe Community Professional

Complete newbie question - to which I can't find the answer in the manual...

On a frame by frame based animation I have an object that I want to start out hidden. So I create a series of blank keyframes to start (say frames 1 to 10). How do I make my object visible at frame 11 and onwards? (there is no previous visible keyframe to copy and paste - as they are all blank).

Thanks,

Mike A.

• 1. Re: Newbie Q: after a blank keyframe...
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your description/intent is a little unclear.  One way is to just have your object start at frame 11. I am not sure what you are saying about having a bunch of blank keyframes, but if that is true, you don't need keyframes for that, just plain ole frames following one blank keyframe is all you need.

If you truly want it to exist but also want it hidden for the first 10 frames, then you neeed to make it a movieclip symbol and assign it an instance name so that you can tell it to be visible or not wherever needed along the timeline.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie Q: after a blank keyframe...

Sorry - bad terminology on my part. I've re-phrased the situation below:

TimeLine.jpg

I've got a series of layers from an imported photoshop file. One of those layers starts off invisible in the timeline - frame 1 has a blank keyframe, frames 2 through 20 are white (blank frames).

I want the layer to be visible from frame 21.  What do I do to make it visible?

Thanks,

Mike A.

Message was edited by: Mike_Abbott - to add image.

• 3. Re: Newbie Q: after a blank keyframe...
              Rothrock Level 5

The white frames indicate that there is no content on that layer. So I'm not sure of the difference of "nothing" being visible or invisible....

If you want something visible after frame 21, you just need to put a keyframe (which you have) and then put some content onto that layer.

• 4. Re: Newbie Q: after a blank keyframe...

When I imported that document from Photoshop that layer did contain content. I then created that blank keyframe at frame 1. In doing so I thought I had simply 'hidden' the content of that layer - but from your message it seems I've 'deleted' it? How can I put it back into frames 21 to 30?

The object appears in the library, but if I try and drag it into the timeline I get a 'no entry' sign ???

-----------------------------

Follow up:

OK. I get it. You've got to drag from the library to the stage. Previously I thought I'd 'hidden' the content on the layer, not 'deleted' it - so I was looking for a way (in the timeline) to make it visible again.

Thanks to those who responded.

• 5. Re: Newbie Q: after a blank keyframe...
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome