18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 11:05 PM by Ankit_Jain

Reader will not install - no error messages

Agunats

Current problem is (full explanation at end), Adobe Reader is not on my computer (Win 7 Ultimate).  I downloaded it from Adobe's web site.  It went through it's installation process seemingly normally and when the bar reached it's fullest and read 100% the installation box dropped off the screen and nothing else happened.  AR was not listed when choosing the "Open with" option when right clicking a pdf file.  Looking in Control Panel/Programs and Features it is not listed as an installed program.  I've retried the installation multiple times with multiple browsers (per Adobe's suggestion).  Help Please!

What got me to this point:  A couple of weeks ago I had an unrelated problem and had to go back to a previous restore point.  All worked fine except I started having problems with AR.  The program would not start.  I got the error message "Acrobat failed to load it's Core DLL".  I tried reinstalling with no improvement.  I thought perhaps uninstalling AR and doing a fresh install might do the trick.  The uninstall went fine but now I can't reinstall.  Again, it appeared to reinstall okay with no error messages but the program is not there.  Suggestions please.

Bob Newman

[email address deleted by host]

• 1. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
          vsh07 Level 2

I once posted a reply to similar problem.Please check below post to check it:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3118969#3118969

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
            Agunats Level 1

I downloaded the reader and when I attempted to install it I get the error message: "Adobe Reader 9.3 requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater.  Please visit www.microsoft.com to upgrade Internet Explorer."  That's great except I'm using Internet Explorer 8.0 (with Win 7 Ultimate) now!  No what do I do?  (Thanks for the direct email).

Bob

• 3. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
              ns_sun_IT

Hi,

I am running into the same issue. I read all the replies from previous blogs and they did not work for me. I had Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and Adobe Reader 8.2 but I had multiple issues the last two weeks opening pdfs, so I decided to uninstall both of them and install Adobe Reader again. Again, run Adobe Reader 9 install, it says "processing" and it gets to 100% and it closes - no errors - nothing.

I installed windows installer v. 4.5 (latest for Windows XP). I re-register windows installer, made sure the widows installer services are running or not disable. My system is Dell Dimension 1100 Windows XP SP3. I have been reading about all related issues but nothing seem to be working for me. I need to troubleshoot an issue in a couple of my centers and I am not even able to open a pdf file. Please help!!!

• 5. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                Agunats Level 1

That is what I tried initially and is what prompted me to try this forum.  I am told that didn't work because it is an update, I do not have a reader to update.

"ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US. msi" is supposed to be the reader itself, then I could update it.  However it asks for at least IE6 or later even though I am using IE8.

Bob

• 6. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                  Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

It seems to me, that some of your dlls etc being used by Internet Explorer may have become corrupted (or you may have a pending restart after updating Internet Explorer). From what I could gather from various sources on the Internet, the problem file behind the issue is C:\Windows\System32\shdocvw.dll.

Could you please check this file's version? It should be something like 6.0.2900.xxxx.

You can try re-registering the file to try and repair it using the following command:

1. Goto Start > Run > Type cmd and Hit Enter

2. Type in the following commands:

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /i /s
                      regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s

It should fix the problem (Hopefully )

• 7. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                    Agunats Level 1

I spent some time with Microsoft yesterday and they fixed IE8.  Turns out IE8 was fine there was a corrupt AVG file loading at start-up.  Everything is new now and working fine... except Adobe of course.  The viewer installation still says it requires EI6 or higher, which of course I have.

More suggestions?

Bob

• 8. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages

Hi Bob,

Sorry for asking again, but did you try reregistering the file in question i.e. shdocvw.dll?

Can you please try it (as described in my earlier post) and then restart your system. Reader should get installed thereon.

• 9. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                        Agunats Level 1

When I: "1. Goto Start > Run > Type cmd and Hit Enter"

I get the Windows error message (Windows 7 Ultimate): "Windows cannot find 'cmd'.  Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again"

Bob

• 10. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages

This is strange. Shouldn't happen this way.

Can you please try this alternative way as well:

1. Open Notepad.

2. Type in the following commands in it:

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /i /s
                              regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s

pause

3. The pause statement will enable you to see the errors (if any)

4. Save the file as "abc.bat". Make sure to include the filename in the double quotes.

5. Double click on the file. If all goes well, you wont see any errors and the commands will execute successfully. Restart your system and then try installing Reader.

• 11. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                            Agunats Level 1

aggh! This is driving me crazy.  Below is the result from the DOS window when I tried your suggestion

****************************************************************************************** ********

C:\Users\Suzanne Newman\Desktop>regsrv32 shdocvw.dll /i /s
                            'regsvr32' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Suzanne Newman\Desktop>regsrv32 shdocvw.dll /s
                            'regsvr32' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Suzanne Newman\Desktop>pause
                            Press any key to continue...

****************************************************************************************** ******

I appreciate your working with me.  Don't give up now.

Bob

• 12. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages

Hi Bob,

I see a slight discrepancy in the text typed as the command and the resultant error message. The command is using regsrv32 while the error message states regsvr32. I am assuming that it is a typo while typing the commands here, and the actual process was followed to perfection.

From what I can see from this error message and the one before that (regarding the cmd command not working), I think that your environment variables may be incorrect. Can you please check the value of the Environment Variable "PATH" through the following steps (Once more you have to go through all this.. ):

1. Right click on the My Computer icon and select Properties.

2. Click on the "Advanced System Settings" link on the Left side.

3. Go to the Advanced tab and click on the Environment Variables button.

4. In the dialog that appears, scroll through the entries in the System Variables section (Bottom half of the dialog) for the Variable "PATH"

5. Double click on the entry.

6. In the new window that opens,check the text in the Variable value box. Does it contain ;%SystemRoot%\system32

7. If it does not, goto the end of the Variable value text box and paste the following text - ;%SystemRoot%\system32

(Yes, the ; is intended )

7. Click OK and close all the dialogs. Close any DOS sessions/windows that might be open.

8. Edit the abc.bat file to contain an extra line - echo %systemroot%.(Am adding this to check whether its referencing the correct folder. If all goes well, it should display something like C:\Windows)

9. Save the file.

Execute the batch file again (abc.bat). Hoping for a better result this time..

• 13. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                                Agunats Level 1

Ta da!

I'm not sure how, but it worked!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Bob

• 14. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages

Finally it worked out!!! Yippeeee!!!

Bob, can you please close this thread, now that your issue is resolved..

• 15. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                                    pwillener Level 8

Ankit_Jain wrote:

Bob, can you please close this thread, now that your issue is resolved..

The OP can only mark the topic as "answered" (or "resolved"), which indeed would be helpful.

• 16. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                                      Agunats Level 1

Did I close the tread when I clicked "correct answer"?

Bob

• 17. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages
                                        pwillener Level 8

Yes, thank you.  Unfortunately the points went to me instead of Ankit_Jain, who did all the work.  (Nevermind, nobody really cares about the points.)

• 18. Re: Reader will not install - no error messages

Thanks Bob!! That did it..

The post should help others stuck at the same issue...

And as "ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ" posted, don't worry about the points...