3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2007 4:40 AM by BaldBloke

Directory Listing from Web

BaldBloke
      Hi All,

I am trying to populate a menu with a list of PDF files from a particular folder. I've got this working perfectly for a local path using the FileXtra4 xtra, but I'm stumped with getting a folder from the web. I've tried the Buddy Web xtra, but it returns an empty list when I use:

fileList = bwFileList(" http://www.awebsite.com/stuff/", "*.*", [])

Maybe I could embed a Flash Movie and have Flash pass the list to Director?

I'm using Director and Flash MX 2004

Any help much appreciated

Thanks guys,
        • 1. Re: Directory Listing from Web
          Level 7
          BaldBloke wrote:
          > I am trying to populate a menu with a list of PDF files from a
          > particular folder. I've got this working perfectly for a local path
          > using the FileXtra4 xtra, but I'm stumped with getting a folder from
          > the web. I've tried the Buddy Web xtra, but it returns an empty list
          > when I use:
          >
          > fileList = bwFileList("ftp://www.palmhousedesign.co.uk/stuff/",
          > "*.*", [])

Is that supposed to be a valid URL? Have you tried it in a browser?

And remember you don't want to publish a valid FTP server address if it
          isn't password-protected.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Directory Listing from Web
            Lukewig Level 1
            Hi,
            I'm not sure about Buddy Web xtra (I've not used it), but you have a couple of other options:

1. Use the excellent free and for absolutely no sane reason depreciated MultiUSer Xtra to create a network connection with an ftp server and use standard ftp commands to get a directory listing. see http://www.lingoworkshop.com/Testzone/FTP_Client_Test.php

2. Use getNetText to ask a server-script to return the list of files. This is probably the safest but is dependent on the server (example php script attached).

• 3. Re: Directory Listing from Web
              BaldBloke Level 1
              Thanks Lukewig,

Unfortunately I don't think I can run php on the remote server. Also, my version of Flash doesn't understand getNetText. Maybe time for an upgrade...

Anyway, I got the Buddy Web xtra to work. The bwFileList command has to be run with an FTP protocol, not HTTP which I was trying before. You have to incude a username and password too, which I hadn't done the first time. So I'm going to buy the Buddy Web xtra and use that.

Thanks for your time, guys, much appreciated...

George