10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 7:28 PM by smuratore

How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas

EckleySP Level 1

I'm not sure this is the place to ask a How To question.  If not, please pardon the space I am using.

I want to create a frame (with a drop shadow) on a transparent canvas, and have the inside of the frame transparent as well.  I can create a New document that is transparent, but the only way I see to put a 'frame' on it is to draw the 4 sides (4 rectangles).  This does not work very well when you add drop shadows to the two sides that require them.

I will then import this into Premiere Pro and place a vdeo clip behind the Photoshop document, framing the clip inside the 'frame'.

I know this is a Premiere Pro forum. . .   and I'll ask the How To Photoshop question in the Photoshop forum, but I thought if there was another way to create a frame inside of Premiere Pro, for the effect of framing a video clip . . .  I would ask here.

Thanks and sorry for the headache this may cause.

• 1. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Something like this:

frame2.png

Not too difficult.

1. Create a new title, and grab the Rectangle tool. Drag out a box roughly the size of the frame you want. This will create a single-color filled rectangle.
          2. With the rectangle selected, swivel down the Properties over on the Title Properties tab (if it isn't already). From Graphic Type, select Closed Bezier; this will convert the box to an outline.
          3. Adjust the Line Width to alter the thickness of the line. It should default to round corners, but if you want square corners, change the Join Type to Miter and increase the Miter Limit until the corners "snap" into place.
          4. Use the Fill properties to change the color, and you can also add a drop shadow (or other effects).

Is that what you're looking to do?

• 2. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
            EckleySP Level 1

Absolutely!  Thanks for the creative tip.

Only issue is that with the drop shadow, the clip needs to be in front of the frame; with the frame in front, that part of the shadow that falls inside the frame falls on the clip.  I was hoping I could put the fame in front to give me a cleaner edge. This particular video clip I'm working with came from an old VHS tape and the edges are a bit ragged (meaning they sometimes have thin black lines on one or more edges).

But, that's another day (unless you have a way to crop a clip?

Thanks again,

S

• 3. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
              Colin Brougham Level 6

But, that's another day (unless you have a way to crop a clip?

How about today? Type "crop" in the Effects Bin and you'll uncover the Crop effect; apply to your video and adjust to taste.

• 4. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                EckleySP Level 1

Oh, yeah, I also need to win the lottery  . . . .   today, if that's OK.

• 5. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Ooh, sorry. You only get two wishes, and you cashed those in. Guess you should have thought of that before requesting a crop feature.

Thank you, drive through.

• 6. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                    EckleySP Level 1

Crop is cropping?

When I apply Crop, it crops the clip, even without me adjusting any settings (they are all set to zero).  It looks like it is cropped about 1/4 on all sides (just a guess).  I can go negative so, I can't increase it (crop only decreases, I guess)

The source clip is 720x480 (pixie depth of 32).

The Sequence setting has the frame size as 1280 x 720.  Would that effect the effect?

I should mention, when the clip is not playing, it looks fine; when I play the clip, it becomes cropped. . .  I don't know how to import the images from PP, otherwise I could show you.

• 7. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Is Zoom checked in the Crop settings? Even set to 0% for all sides, it will force the clip to stretch to match the sequence dimensions. If you need to blow up the clip after cropping, use the Motion > Scale option instead.

EDIT: Saw your additional info. That is bizarre. Can you describe your footage, sequence preset, and how you have your sequence set up? Are you using hardware MPE? Any graphics in play (other than the title)?

To add a screenshot to your post, use the little camera button above the posting window.

• 8. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                        EckleySP Level 1

Jamie (HDV 720p30).jpg

Zoom was not checked.  When I check it, it simply zooms in on the image (does not change the cropping).

The source properties are:

File Path: J:\IMPROMPTU PRODUCTIONS\Jamie\Jamie AVI Files\JF 10
                        Type: MPEG Movie
                        File Size: 1.4 GB
                        Image Size: 720 x 480
                        Pixel Depth: 32
                        Frame Rate: 29.97
                        Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
                        Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
                        Total Duration: 00;30;50;09
                        Average Data Rate: 805 KB / second
                        Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

I believe it is an MPEG-2 file.  I've been working on several different formats and I've been up since 4 AM.

As I said, the Sequence settings are:

Jamie (HDV 720p30)
                        1280 x 720
                        00;00;48;18, 29.97 fps
                        48000 Hz - Stereo

Not sure this answers your question or not.

I suppose I would have to render an image of what I'm talking about to the computer, then use the little camera button?  Here is the image without the effect turned on.  The one above, the effect is ON.

Are you using hardware MPE? Any graphics in play (other than the title)?  Not sure what MPE is (I suppose I could Google it), but not knowing pretty much assures I'm not using it.  Not other graphics.  In these screen shots, only the video clip is in play, nothing else below or above, no titles.

This is what I am going for, but without the drop shadow landing on the clip.  The image below is the clip with the Crop effect turned OFF.

Jamie (HDV 720p30)_1.jpgJamie (HDV 720p30)_2.jpg

• 9. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                          EckleySP Level 1

It has something to do with the Sequence Settings not being the same as the source file.  I create

d another sequence DV - NTSC Standard (720x480) and it worked fine.

• 10. Re: How To:  I want a frame on a transparent canvas
                            smuratore

This question already has been answered nicely, but this tutorial recalls the easiest way to get the sequence settings, and Photoshop settings, to match the parameters of the video clips, and might also prove helpful: http://youtu.be/0d70e38XDVY.