8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 12:55 PM by Florida Bill

How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?

Florida Bill

Is there any secret to get PE 8 to accept custom DVD templates created and used by PE4?

• 1. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 4 and version 8 use the same DVD template formats.

As show in my book "The Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 8," you should be able to create a folder in C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PREMIERE ELEMENTS 8.0\DVD TEMPLATES\COMMON\GENERAL, drop your main menu and scene menu PSDs in this folder and, when you next start the program, they should be available.

How are you trying to install your templates?

• 2. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?
            Florida Bill Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the info.  I'll try this approach ASAP.

What I did with PE8 is exactly what I did when I upgraded from PE3 to PE4.

I created a new folder named 'CUSTOM', located that folder in the DVD

templates general folder and placed all of the DVD templates created in PE3

in that folder. I was able to access the created templates, in PE4, whenever

I need to use them.  This approach does not seem to work with PE8.

• 3. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?

If you've followed my instructions and the instructions in my book, I know of no reason this should not work, Bill.

You don't say where your custom templates are coming from but, as I say in my book, there is a very strict naming system that the PSD files use. Also, you must have both a "mm" and a "sm" file in your folder in order for the templates to work.

So without knowing more about your file or, at the very least, your posting a screen capture of the folder you placed these files in, I'm afraid I can't be of any more help. The system I describe above and detail in my book always works for me.

• 4. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?
                Florida Bill Level 1

Steve,

It didn't work.  All I get when I call up the main menus and scene menus are

blank rectangles, with the proper title names, but they lack a visual

component.

Here is a brief, but detailed, explanation of what I did prior to PE8.

I created the original customized DVD templates using PE2 and the compatible

Photoshop version.  I took an existing template from PE2 and replaced the

background with a photo that complimented the DVD.  When I saved the

templates, Photoshop created a 'CUSTOM' folder in PE2's DVD templates

folder.  The naming convention was (is) XXX_ntsc_mm.psd and

XXX_ntsc_sm.psd..I was able to use the customized templates for the

appropriated DVDs.  I was able to place the entire 'CUSTOM' folder into PE4

when I upgraded to that version of Premier Elements.  I was able to display

and use the newly placed custom templates and they worked without any

problem.

I placed the 'CUSTOM' folder in C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\PREMIER ELEMENTS

8.0\DVD TEMPLATES\COMMON\GENERAL\CUSTOM .  There are several other template

files in the COMMON\GENERAL folders.  When I viewed the other template

folders, I noticed that most of the other templates had a .PSD suffix.  When

I try to use the 'CUSTOM' folder in the menu portion of PE8, I can find the

folder by name (CUSTOM), but then I look for any visual, all I get is a set

of blank rectangles.  The blanks cannot be dragged to the space intended for

the menu visual.  It almost seems as if I will have to recreate the custom

folder in Photoshop 5, if that one is compatible with PE8.

Does you book go into any level of detail addressing this quirky type of

situation?

Thanks for listening,

Florida Bill

• 5. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?

Yes. And no.

The format for DVD templates changed drastically after version 3 -- so I'm really surprised you can use a template you adapted from version 2 and have it work in version 4.

But a version 2 menu template won't by any means work in version 8. So that could be where the problem lies.

In my book I detail what the layer set structure of a version 4-8 menu template looks like. You may find that helpful.

But it may be wiser to just start with a version 8 template and adapt it to your needs. It sounds like you're doing just about everything else right.

• 6. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

If you look at the existing Library folders, you will see a couple of PNG files. Those are the thumbnails, that are needed to display in the Create Menus tab. If you have created custom Menu sets, just do a PNG for each one, to the specs. that match those in the existing Library folders, and place them into your custom folders. Then, you will see the thumbnail displays.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?
                      Florida Bill Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the info.  It worked like a charm.  Once I changed the title to

match ones already in the folders, it worked.

Bill

• 8. Re: How do I get PE 8 to accept Costom DVD templates form PE 4?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news! There are all sorts of various conventions, from naming the Menu Sets, to the names in their individual Button Layer Sets, that I still need to have an example open, and in front of me. Glad that things are working for you, and that you have your custom Menu Sets. Those are a lot of work and it would be a shame to loose that work.

Happy editing,

Hunt